SATA Controller Cards

Would there be any reason not to buy this card? LSI-SAS-9210-8i

I might get one myself.  It looks like it should work fine once flashed to IT mode.  Based on comparison here: http://www.servethehome.com/current-lsi-hba-controller-features-compared/

The only thing that might turn me off of them is that they come from China and I could swear I saw posts of counterfeit M1015s coming out of China on eBay.

I read a lot of the feedback on that seller, no one has complained or mentioned about any counterfeits.  Maybe worth checking out.  How would you know if it's a counterfeit?

Note This Is From Memory so may not be reliable.  What I remember in the posts I saw was problems with drives dropping or other controller errors that were fixed by switching the drives to alternate controllers.  Other than that I don't think there was a way.  But as I said that is from memory and the whole issue may just be from my imagination and not be a fact unless someone else can remember the same posts and maybe provide a link.  Those look like a good deal to me and as I said I may try to get one myself.

I might get one myself.  It looks like it should work fine once flashed to IT mode.  Based on comparison here: http://www.servethehome.com/current-lsi-hba-controller-features-compared/

The only thing that might turn me off of them is that they come from China and I could swear I saw posts of counterfeit M1015s coming out of China on eBay.

I read a lot of the feedback on that seller, no one has complained or mentioned about any counterfeits.  Maybe worth checking out.  How would you know if it's a counterfeit?

Note This Is From Memory so may not be reliable.  What I remember in the posts I saw was problems with drives dropping or other controller errors that were fixed by switching the drives to alternate controllers.  Other than that I don't think there was a way.  But as I said that is from memory and the whole issue may just be from my imagination and not be a fact unless someone else can remember the same posts and maybe provide a link.  Those look like a good deal to me and as I said I may try to get one myself.

I understand.  I may just get one and test it out.  Worst case, I'm out 60ish bucks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ah ok so then they become the same card? I was confused since there is a price difference between the two.

Also was wondering if the H310 ran as hot as the LSI?

Yes and yes.

These controllers need some airflow near them, or they run very hot, a standard 80mm or 120mm fan blowing some air on the heatsink is enough.

Or stick a $.25 larger heatsink on the chip. And yes, I did this little change. Got the closet size heatsink I could find with long ass finns on them, used very good thermal paste and never any heat problems. But the server sits in a climate controlled area.

No reason at all. REMEMBER the card will comes in RAID mode and you'll need to flash the firmware of the card to turn it into a JBOD card. Just a plain pass thru. I bought the Dell H310 cards myself because the connectors are at the rear of the card instead of the middle. I have been very pleased. I also would buy the ones from China. Some of have been knock-offs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Opentoe, do you mind sharing some pics of your heatsink mods?

I don't think I made any mods to any controller card heatsinks. At least I don't remember. I'd love to give them out, but can't remember ever doing any. Give me a hint of what they looked like and I'll search for them.

Or stick a $.25 larger heatsink on the chip. And yes, I did this little change. Got the closet size heatsink I could find with long ass finns on them, used very good thermal paste and never any heat problems. But the server sits in a climate controlled area.

Maybe I don't get the right meaning out of your post?  :o

I see this guy but that is it-

01:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller [0107]: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS3224 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3 [1000:00c4] (rev 01)

I suspect you need a newer linux kernel for mpt3sas to include your controller, you can ask LT to add it to next unRAID release.

• 1 month later...

Looks like I'll be needing to expand my storage pretty soon and reading through these threads the Dell H310 controller card is a popular choice among unraiders these days. Looking at ebay listings I came up with the following ..

can someone please confirm that this is the exact card we're talking about?? Just want to make sure before I buy ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PE-PERC-H310-6Gb-s-RAID-Controller-Card-0HV52W-Standard-Profile/291925551355

Do I also need to buy any special cables? Links to product?

My motherboard is https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/880GMAE53.html

Will this card work with my MB?

Will this card support 5T+ drives?

Appreciate the feedback. For reference I'm running latest UnRAID version.

Yes, that is the card you can take. It supports drive sizes >2.2TB.

You need forward breakout cables SFF-8087 MiniSAS to S-ATA.

Reverse breakout will not work!

Maybe you can find an offer that includes the standard cables as well?

One cable has only 2 S-ATA connectors per port though, but it could be enough

to start with.

Can't say much about the compatibility with your board.

There are solutions to the known hiccups. Can't remember of an abandoned

project because of incompatibility reasons.

Please take your time to study the wiki and then come back with your questions.  ;)

I guess I should ask to have my SAS/SATA card added as a data point:

LSI-9206-16e

• this is a PCI3.0 x8 lane card with 4x external SFF8644 connectors
  • allowing for connection to 16x direct attached drives or 1024 multiple expander attached drives.

As for the external enclosure, I'm currently using this with a ARECA ARC-4036 8 drive enclosure with built-in expander.

I'm using all this with a ITX motherboard and case, thus minimizing the the issues with PSU needing to support high power ratings or any rail issues.

• JorgeB unpinned and locked this topic