Rajahal

SATA Controller Cards

610 posts in this topic Last Reply

9 hours ago, nickp85 said:

So I guess I could just stick an LSI 4i card in there and get up to 4 extra SATA ports out of it.

It should work fine.

18 hours ago, nickp85 said:

No issues with an asmedia chipset?

I haven't had any problems personally, whereas I have had trouble with Marvell and LSI (and the occasional bug with the 4 port PCI-X Silicon Image chips, but otherwise the Silicon Image have been good).  ASMedia are owned by Asus, and they also design the integrated SATA controllers on newer AMD chipsets (Q6 at https://www.anandtech.com/show/11177/making-amd-tick-a-very-zen-interview-with-dr-lisa-su-ceo ).

I have even considered making my own 16 port SATA cards using 8 of the ASM1061 chips with a PCIe switch chip onboard for a large commercial project.  It's a shame that they only do a 2 port standalone version.

This open source NAS design chose the ASMedia chips - https://lwn.net/Articles/743609/

Very new here. I'm in the process of spec-ing and building a new server to run with UnRaid. I've been looking at the 3Ware SAS 9750 24i4e as my controller card. I'm having trouble determining if this is an appropriate choice. The controller chip is the LSI-2108.

I found a very confusing post about maybe possibly having to flash this chip, but frankly, I couldn't make heads or tails of it. Anyone got any ideas?

9 minutes ago, Moose_Flunky said:

The controller chip is the LSI-2108.

That's a RAID chipset, not recommended for unRAID, you want a plain HBA, any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, etc and clones, like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015, these latter ones need to be crossflashed.

2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

That's a RAID chipset, not recommended for unRAID, you want a plain HBA, any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, etc and clones, like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015, these latter ones need to be crossflashed.

Thank you! I was really looking for a controller in the 16 to 24 port range, which is why my attention went to the 3Ware SAS 9750. Any recommendations for 16 port cards?

1 minute ago, Moose_Flunky said:

Any recommendations for 16 port cards?

9201-16i

9300-16i

44 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

9201-16i

9300-16i

Thank you.  I'll start looking into it.

Posted (edited)

So, johnnie.black, do you think LSI 9210-8i can be switched over to IT mode? According to Broadcom's website it's controller is a SAS2008, which according to your post a few back is one that can be switched for use in unRAID. 

Sorry, new to a lot of aspects of building my first unRAID server and have been lurking a long time trying to learn and figure out the details so I "might" get it right the first time with minimal headaches!

Thanks for any input.

EDIT: 

Forgot to mention this controller is part of a used build I was considering (instead of building from scratch) located here: Ebay

Already have an Antec 1200v3, fans, cages and ps but that's basically it so still open to every option plus a complete used setup.

Edited by onlyjeeps
forgot a point

17 minutes ago, onlyjeeps said:

So, johnnie.black, do you think LSI 9210-8i can be switched over to IT mode?

Yes, it's the same as the 9211-8i, just the miniSAS ports orientation is different.

Posted (edited)

Hi all, 

Think I have a good grasp on what I need from reading the pages here. Have a few questions to  make sure though. 

I am looking at adding 8 SATA ports for expansion including one optical drive as my win 10 vm recognizes the optical drive, but crashes the vm when opening data disk.  For   instance installing audio drivers for an Audigy Rx sound card that was just installed. I will be using this optical drive for burning blu-ray for the plex server. After reading additional threads that the expansion resolved there issue. Currently I have just 2 4TB HGST with room to add 6 more so makes sense to get a card now for future growth. 

1. Purchasing an LSI 9211-8i - does this come in IT mode? this IT mode removes the raid component correct?

2. When purchasing cables, do not get the ones that have the metal latches? Need the SATA end for HDD to be a 90 down. Could use recommendation here of which ones for the expansion board. 

3. This board is plug-n-play? Does not matter if I need to configure it as long as I have directions to follow

4. Which vendor is recommended to avoid counterfeits? Rather pay more for quality than being cheap. 

5. Anything else I need to know

6. Adding this to the pcie lanes impact the 16 lanes for the GPU?

Would this be the right card wit IT already installed?

https://www.amazon.com/LSI-Controller-LSI00301-9207-8i-Internal/dp/B008J49G9A/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Thanks!

Edited by blewstar
added link to card