The 5X3 Cage review - Norco, SuperMicro, iStarUSA and Icy Dock

Whaler_99

I've been using the iStarUSA 5-in-1s for going on a decade with essentially zero issues.

Do you happen to have a link to one you have as the ones I have looked at have no way of mounting it in the case…. As in no screw holes in the side..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
18 minutes ago, JWMutant said:

I think the second one being 5 drives "May" have more of an issue with heat than the first.

Thoughts?

From what I see, the opening in the PCB at the back of the drive cages seem similar, maybe a little larger for the Fatcage ?

Personally, I would (will ?) go with the Fatcage over the Black Vortex for several reasons most of them subjective as I never used either of them:

• One more drive in the Fatcage
  • the build of the Vortex seems flimsy
  • the tray of the Vortex only attach at the front of the disk 🤨
  • don't really like the front door and the way it opens

image.png.a01ba2d519af8f7a0ce6c6369aeec000.png

But that's my view on it. Get what you prefer. :) 

3 hours ago, JWMutant said:

I think I have narrowed it down to :

https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=175

or

https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=155

I think the second one being 5 drives "May" have more of an issue with heat than the first.

Thoughts?

Given the same fan, obviously the 4 drive bay will be cooler, much more open. But, the 5x3 is still a great option and one I previously reviewed. Maintains great temps. 

Also looked at images of the Vortex, notice the one with the fan moved the side? I don't think you could mount this unit flush with the front of the cage, or you could never swing the fan aside to pull a drive out. You need to have the fan and a small portion of the drive sticking our the front of the case in case you ever needed access to the drives. Overall looks like a bad design.

On a note, I have a similar design 3x2 cage, with that bottom only mount option. But the unit I have is all metal, so it's very sturdy when mounted and the fan is on the rear as well, so access via front is simiple.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, JWMutant said:

Do you happen to have a link to one you have as the ones I have looked at have no way of mounting it in the case…. As in no screw holes in the side..

https://www.amazon.com/iStarUSA-Group-3x5-25-Trayless-BPN-DE350SS-RED/dp/B009XA27NQ/ref=sr_1_36?dchild=1&keywords=computer+hard+drive+enclosure+istarusa&qid=1621471245&s=pc&sr=1-36

this but black.  i hope its ok to post jungle store links.

• Like 1
On 5/18/2021 at 10:51 PM, JWMutant said:

Any 5x3 cage is designed specifically for that, for mounting in 3 5.25 slots and will have mounting holes and screws provided.
Also, if you end up mixing various 3x5 cages in a case, keep track of which extra screws you have for each one as some are slightly different threads and depths.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had much experience with these ones:

iStar BPN-DE350SS

http://www.istarusa.com/en/istarusa/products.php?model=BPN-DE350SS

I bought a case with 4 of them installed and been having weird issues. I've had one of the disk backplanes go in one and now having weird disconnect issues in another.

It's strange as I've been running other brands for years, not trayless, and not a single issue, but with these ones, seems weird. I've previously remarked not a huge fan of these as the drives are not completely secure in there, but it's not like I'm moving or otherwise touching the server while it runs...