Unable to Clean Boot after HW Upgrade - help please!

Hi friends,

I've been very happy with my unraid server for many years. Today I upgraded my motherboard to the MSI B560 Torpedo, CPU to i5-11400, and new RAM. These replaced a Ryzen 5 1500af and GTX 960 GPU. After fiddling with the UEFI boot settings in the BIOS I can finally get unRaid to boot but not get to a good running state.

I get all the way through the scrolling loading stuff and to the login prompt. The server states that the IPv4 address is 192.168.10.10, which is what I had previously configured in the GUI. However, the server is not available on the network. I can't ping to it, and I can't ping out of it from the console. It will ping itself, but nothing outside the NIC. I tried to boot into GUI (and safe mode with GUI) but the GUI never loads, I just get a flashing cursor. I do see some modprobe errors, which I assume temp sensor errors because I switched CPU and no longer using nvidia, but all those plugins are still installed. I figured I would clean that up after, but hopefully not causing the error.

What can I try now? Attached is a diagnostics file that I initiated from console then pulled off the USB. For some reason the date says yesterday but I definitely ran it today.

Thank you!

tower-diagnostics-20211220-2324.zip

Looking at your ethtool.txt file, it says you have two Ethernet adapters (one an Intel and the other a RealTek) installed and neither one has a link established to a switch/router.  I would be checking the cabling and where you have plugged in those cable(s).    (Personally, in this type of situation, I would connect every RJ-45 connector to a switch until I got it sorted out.)

8 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Looking at your ethtool.txt file, it says you have two Ethernet adapters (one an Intel and the other a RealTek) installed and neither one has a link established to a switch/router.  I would be checking the cabling and where you have plugged in those cable(s).    (Personally, in this type of situation, I would connect every RJ-45 connector to a switch until I got it sorted out.)

OK good call on this. The motherboard actually has two integrated NICs. One is a 1Gb and one is 2.5Gb. I was only cabled to the 1Gb, but am now cabled to both - but no improvement yet. Thanks for the idea.

One more thing.  Try booting up in a safe mode. 

I just observed that you started from an AMD Ryzen setup and went to an Intel one.  Make sure you get rid of all the Ryzen changes in your bootup configuration.    It also appears to me that you were passing through hardware.  These breakthroughs are going to be an issue...