Drive reporting recomendations

Hi all, 

So I love Unraid and use it at home. My place of work (MSP) has a very specific issue that I need to grab some other options/ideas for. 

We have recovery stations for SATA drives for backup, and checking drive health as well as any potential errors that may be on them. 

Our issue exists with SAS drives. Recovery on these drives is not an issue (all servers have RAID and constant Backups) however checking the disk health of a drive we might want to place in used stock or put into a different server is our issue. With windows and most dell servers (cards aren't in IT mode) just getting a smart report with power on time and reallocated sectors is almost impossible. However when I take it home and place the drive into my server it comes right up and I can get a full smart report with all the info. 

The chances of building even a cheap Unraid server for the office is pretty unlikely so I want to know if there are other linux distros that provide this same level of ease of use. How does Unraid manage this smart reporting?