AMD Ryzen 9 5960X or Threadripper?

Hi all!

I’ve been researching a lot about different configs for unraid, and I cannot decide on a CPU. 

I have been contemplating the Threadripper 3960 with 24 cores, but they were released sobre years ago, and rumours say that the new series are coming by March 8th. 

Another option is the latest Ryzen 9 5960 with 16 cores. 

The usage I’m planning for, is to have several VMs with W10 (one for gaming and very very casual video editing, one for work with visual studio and few other non demanding programs, and another multipurpose for my partner), along with some containers (next cloud, NAS, home automation, game servers, etc)

Basically the idea is to have one single machine to cover all the PC needs of my house, running 24/7 but not full power all the time. 

Which cpu would you recommend from the listed above? Should I provide extra details/context?

Have a look around the forum, there are lots of posts on various CPU combinations, I have a Threadripper but had no such luck at getting VM's working, not sure if it was to do with the CPU or something else, but I gave up due to lack of support and being left with non-functioning systems, I ended up buying two more new PC systems to get the desired result.

Definitely research before you jump in.

2 hours ago, Frag-O-Byte said:

Have a look around the forum, there are lots of posts on various CPU combinations, I have a Threadripper but had no such luck at getting VM's working, not sure if it was to do with the CPU or something else, but I gave up due to lack of support and being left with non-functioning systems, I ended up buying two more new PC systems to get the desired result.

Definitely research before you jump in.

That’s sad to hear! I thought virtualization on Threadripper was something more common. Do you have maybe an old Threadripper or trying to setup more exotic VMs?