NAS and Backup Philosophy & Practice

ComplexCarb

I'm setting up my first NAS...

Right now I only have about 8TB of data... so I can keep a copy of it on my machine and on two USB externals that I store in a fire proof safe and in a remote location.

I will soon not be able to use this method due to the total amount of data I have. (a. my pc will not have the storage to hold a copy, and my externals will not have the storage to hold copies... unless have 4 total externals to split the data into two total copies which seems like a nightmare)

So I'm going to build a NAS to store one full copy of my data  (as well as cloud access/plex/etc). How do yall recommend having a backup of this NAS?

Do I now have to build another NAS to backup my main NAS and keep it offsite? How do yall do this? Do you just create a large bank of HDDs for a beefy external and store this offsite?

Bonus question... since I'm a NAS noob. What level of protection do I have if my NAS is physically stolen?

Cheers,

ComplexCarb

Edited by ComplexCarb

A little more flavor:

I have about 8TB now and expect around 1 TB a year of growth. I run a YT channel and have a good deal of 4K footage produced.... The data is worth enough I don't want to lose it...

After sleeping on it I think I'll have 1.) the main NAS.... #homeServer1 2.) a HDD enclosure connectable by USB that will be physically connected, mirrored, disconnected, and stored off site #offSiteHDDs 3.) a backup NAS #remotebackupNAS running at a relatives house.... I think this will be pretty secure....

----

On the NAS:
TBH, I'm trying to decide between TrueNAS core and Unraid... since I want it to be upgradable in the future. I'm not sure I like the idea of having to buy 4 disks at a time every time I want to increase storage (if running RAID-Z2).... With the plan above I may be able to get away with RAID-Z1 since I'll always have a live backup NAS running.... Just undecided still.