VM Fails to start VNC (QXL)

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 11:47 PM, dredge999 said:

I have a windows 10 VM that all of a sudden fails to start VNC (QXL) with error:

qxl_send_events: spice-server bug: guest stopped, ignoring

I am at a loss as to how to fix this, does anyone have any ideas?

Did you ever figure this out? I had 2 VM's that I used from time to time and both of them are giving me the same error. I am also not able to create a new VM (ubuntu server) as it gives the same error in the log file. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/18/2022 at 8:12 AM, Born8bit said:

It's neither nor, actually (this works for me, might work for you):

- Open the VNC windows, copy URL.

- Open private window on same browser

- Paste URL, Enter, log in, paste URL again, works.

- ???

No clue, either cookies or whatnot messing with things

I have the same Problem. But i dont like to delete all cookies. Instead, i use Chrome, if the noVNC Tab open, i go to the upper left Corner ("not safe" in Adress Bar) an  left Klick on it. There i can delete the specified cookies. Thas help me.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
37 minutes ago, rdagitz said:

OK, this is weird. If I leave the RAM allocation at the minimum setting in the VM template (4GB for Windows 11), the machine boots and runs. The moment I increase the RAM at all, I get the error, even after the installation is complete.

You sure you have enough ram available to support the increase over 4GB?

If so and still having issues, I would use the form view to edit the XML directly and increase the RAM and see if that works.

I have had plenty of issues creating VM using the GUI myself.

Rick

Edited by dredge999

OK, true confessions. It was operator error (and dredge999, you were right on target). I have been working on two different Unraid servers. I had the specs in mind of the other server when working on this one. It turns out that I need to add RAM to this server to get more power. Problem solved.

• 6 months later...
On 1/9/2023 at 6:44 PM, dredge999 said:

You sure you have enough ram available to support the increase over 4GB?

If so and still having issues, I would use the form view to edit the XML directly and increase the RAM and see if that works.

I have had plenty of issues creating VM using the GUI myself.

Rick

This was the fix for me. My server was using up more memory than it usually does.

Maybe we need better error reporting in this instance? Seems like a simple out-of-memory error that could be easily diagnosable by the user with better error reporting.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I had this same problem my excisting VM win 10 just works. but wanted to install win 11 in a VM and it just didnt want to start the VNC windows. So i tried windows 10 img same problem.

Im using firefox. So i clicked on the Schield and it was blocking 2 things so i disabled that projection for my unraid IP.  POEF it works for both windows 10 and my windows 11.

So the VM it self wasnt the problem it was Firefox that was blocking some VNC things.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I encountered problems when I upgraded my win10 install to win11. very unreliablef, and black screen, it would also hang the picture of "restarting".

I changed from VNC to SPICE, seems to work so far at least, althought its really sluggish to get past the login prompt for win11, but after that everything seems fine.