[SOLVED] How do I fix a Modprobe Nvidia Error?

Hi All,

I powered up my UnRaid box after 3-4 months of having it powered down.  While bootup I noticed plugins were updated.  In short, the bootup process came to a dead stop after the error below appeared:

Modprobe: Error: could not insert 'nvidia': no such device

This is the first time I see this error.  My theory is the Nvidia Plugin shown in the link below got updated during the bootup process to a new version which has caused this error to appear.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/98978-plugin-nvidia-driver/?tab=comments#comment-913250

Is my theory correct?  Or incorrect?  If correct, I would be grateful if somebody in the community helps me with any information that will help me fix this Nvidia Modprobe Error. RIght now I am unable to boot to the UnRaid GUI screen.

I'm able to successfully login into the "Root@Tower:~#"  prompt and type in UnRaid commands.  What is the best UnRaid command I can type into the "Root@Tower:~#"  prompt for the purpose of diagnosing this problem and ultimately fixing it? I'm using a 1030 Nvidia Graphics Card for VMs and a 710 NVidia Graphics Card for the UnRaid OS.  What troubleshooting can I perform to determine which of the two Nvidia cards is causing this error to appear? 

Any advice or opinions welcome because my UnRaid box has essentially become bricked.  Thank you for your time.

Below is my configuration:

UnRaid OS = v6.9.2

Supermicro X10SRH-CF Motherboard /  XEON CPU

1030 Nvidia Graphics Card (VM Pass Through and dumped Vbios using SpaceInvaderOne dump script)

710 NVidia Graphics Card (For UnRAID OS)  - It shows me the boot process but fails to show UnRaid GUI because Modprobe error appears.

NVMe PCI-E Card with a 1TB stick to house Linux Mint OS and Windows10 OS VMs. 

USB Controller Card (Pass Through for VMs)

Marvell SATA Controller Card (Pass Through for VMs)

Edited by slipstream
On 12/31/2021 at 6:34 PM, Squid said:

Can you still reach the webGUI from another system?  Post your diagnostics

Squid,

Thank you for the tip.  I have my UnRaid box setup to bootup using the "UnRaid OS GUI Mode".  Therefore, it did not cross my mind to reach the UnRaid webGUI from another system connected to my home network. In short, I was able to get access to the Plugins tab and the screen capture below shows the Nvidia plugin prompting a problem I have boxed in YELLOW:

image.thumb.png.8026e934d58fe737e3214375c317710f.png

It has auto-upgraded itself to v495.46.  So I changed it to Production Branch v470.94 and then rebooted the machine. That fixed the problem! Thank God everything got back to the way it was working 3-4 months ago which was the last time I fired up the machine. 

The lesson I learned here is to not have the Nvidia driver set to the LATEST option.  I need to figure out how I can LOCK my Nvidia driver to the Production Branch option so it no longer auto updates.  This way one can avoid such Nvidia driver headaches.

Again, thanks a lot for your help.

• slipstream changed the title to [SOLVED] How do I fix a Modprobe Nvidia Error?
  • 2 months later...