What Do Yall Think About My NAS Build?

ComplexCarb

some of the above components are not compatible with ECC memory ............

I found a list of intel processors that support ECC here: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...CMemory=True&1_Filter-ProcessorGraphics=19001

Which led me to this guy (with integrated graphics) - https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i...sktops-_-intel-_-9SIA2W0DP00398&source=region

I just started looking for MBs... but I found this guy from gigabyte: https://www.newegg.com/asus-ws-c246... server-_-asus-_-9SIAFJ8B1N4238&source=region

Would be nice to get that price down a little.... but I'm happy it's not $400.

I just designed a new system and went down a similar path to you (here's my thread). I also wanted ECC RAM and also landed on the Intel Core i3 9100. I haven't built my server yet but it seems like a good CPU for NAS duties and some transcoding. The Motherboard I picked was the Gigabyte C246M-WU4 Micro ATX. I needed Micro ATX for my case, but you may prefer an ATX board since it will fit in your case. You said you found a Gigabyte board but the link was to an Asus board?

You will need to be careful with your Memory selection. The Asus board you linked (and my board, for what it's worth) only supports Un-buffered/Un-registered (UDIMM) memory. The memory you linked is Registered (RDIMM) so it won't work. The i3 9100 supports 2400MHz memory so a suggestion would be to look for memory of at least that speed to take advantage of that extra capability.

11 hours ago, Janddy said:

I just designed a new system and went down a similar path to you (here's my thread). I also wanted ECC RAM and also landed on the Intel Core i3 9100. I haven't built my server yet but it seems like a good CPU for NAS duties and some transcoding. The Motherboard I picked was the Gigabyte C246M-WU4 Micro ATX. I needed Micro ATX for my case, but you may prefer an ATX board since it will fit in your case. You said you found a Gigabyte board but the link was to an Asus board?

You will need to be careful with your Memory selection. The Asus board you linked (and my board, for what it's worth) only supports Un-buffered/Un-registered (UDIMM) memory. The memory you linked is Registered (RDIMM) so it won't work. The i3 9100 supports 2400MHz memory so a suggestion would be to look for memory of at least that speed to take advantage of that extra capability.

Thank you sir, I'll check out your thread. I apologize I meant ASUS. Thanks for the tips. 

I'm slightly concerned that the i3 9100 won't be able to transcode 4K footage.... so I may need to be on the search for something more powerful. Maybe AMD is the way to go, IDK. 

It may be more powerful than you think. This is one of the threads that convinced me:

He's transcoding 4x4k streams on an i3-8100 which is the equivalent of the i3-9100 in the previous generation, and has the same graphics processor (Intel UHD Graphics 630).

I also remember reading a comment in a forum somewhere where someone was saying the i3-9100 "slays" 4k streams. I can't find it again though.

14 hours ago, Janddy said:

It may be more powerful than you think. This is one of the threads that convinced me:

He's transcoding 4x4k streams on an i3-8100 which is the equivalent of the i3-9100 in the previous generation, and has the same graphics processor (Intel UHD Graphics 630).

I also remember reading a comment in a forum somewhere where someone was saying the i3-9100 "slays" 4k streams. I can't find it again though.

Well that's good to see! THanks for sharing

That Memory is Registered (RDIMM) but your board requires Unbuffered (UDIMM). I had the same trouble - it's hard to find unbuffered memory in 32GB sticks at 2400MHz speed. You could either look for 2x16GB sticks, or look for something faster than 2400MHz if you can't find exactly what you want. I ended up going with these 2x16GB sticks - https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07NQ1KW9H/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_0XFAJQGX9B12ZVZFYA1A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1  (Australian link sorry).

• Thanks 1

Here is the ECC Unbuffered/unregistered RAM I used in my server. I have two of these 32GB sticks in my server.  I have an Asrock E3C246D4U motherboard but the RAM should be compatible with any board requiring unbuffered ECC RAM:

https://www.newegg.com/samsung-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/1X5-000A-00PX8

https://memory.net/product/m391a4g43mb1-ctd-samsung-1x-32gb-ddr4-2666-ecc-udimm-pc4-21300v-e-dual-rank-x8-module/

Edited by Hoopster
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, ComplexCarb said:

Has anyone tried out these drives?

All of my unRAID drives are Western Digital Red or White drives shucked from external enclosures.  External drives are often less expensive and removing them from the enclosures is fairly easy.  A couple of my White drives show up in unRAID as Ultrastar drives.

This is quite a popular way among unRAIDers to obtain cheap and reliable storage drives.  Technically, removing them from the enclosure often voids the warranty; however, if you keep the enclosure, you can put the drive back in if you need to make a warranty claim.  I have been shucking drives for 4-5 years with not a single drive issue.

The drive you linked is a 7200 RPM drive.  For most people, 5400 RPM is sufficient although we choose to use 7200 RPM drives for parity so parity checks go just a bit faster.  5400 RPM drives often cost a bit less.  In most unRAID operations, there is very little observable difference between a 5400 and 7200 RPM drive.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Thanks 1