[SUPPORT] SmartPhoneLover - OpenBooks

openbooks.png

This docker template was created based on an already available docker image

THIS IMAGE STILL HAS SOME BUGS, SO EXPECT FAILURES OF ANY KIND ON SENDING DOWNLOAD REQUESTS

GitHub: https://github.com/evan-buss/openbooks
DockerHub: https://hub.docker.com/r/evanbuss/openbooks
My Repository: https://github.com/SmartPhoneLover/unraid-docker-templates

DESCRIPTION

Openbooks allows you to download ebooks from irc.irchighway.net quickly and easily.

NOTES
• If you want to set a custom name when connecting to irchighway (recommended), add the following into the 'Post Arguments' field: --name user_name.
• The minimum limit is 1 search per 10 seconds but this can be configured for a higher value via the '--rate-limit' flag within 'Post Arguments' field.
• If you want to get persistent logs for debugging, add the following into the 'Post Arguments' field: --logs. The logs will be available in '/appdata/openbooks/logs'.
• All downloaded files are created as 'root' user, so if you face problems when accessing them, you can create a little script that modifies the permissions and owner, recursively. Use the 'User Scripts' plugin to automate it.

VERSION
1.1 (2022-05-23)

If you are going to report a bug or request something to be added/modified, please, take into consideration that I will only be able to apply changes for the work I own only. For example, if I create a docker template for an already existing docker image (not created by me), I won't be able to do more for that image than forward your report or request to the owner of the project.

Edited by SmartPhoneLover

This application (not the template, so this is not aimed at @SmartPhoneLover, just informational to users) seems to be controversial, and may not be well received by the admins that run irchighway. There may be functionality issues as the author of the app negotiates with those admins. YMMV, but as of this posting, searching worked for me, but download functionality seemed to be broken. I suspect this may be ongoing, as automated downloading doesn't seem to be well received in their community.

Hi @JonathanM,

Yes, the owner of this application seems to be having some little problems with server side, but he is actively working to try solving issues. For example, just yesterday he updated the application adding a 10" (by default) delay between each download request, as some users were reporting some problems during searches and possible bans.

Talking about downloading books, I can search and download them without any problem.

1 hour ago, JonathanM said:

When I click the download button, it said "download request received" in a blue notification, but nothing ever happened after that.

The books are actually downloaded, but you have to go to the 'Previous Downloads' tab. There you will find all the books you have downloaded, then, click on it/them and select 'Download" to download it to the PC.

1 minute ago, SmartPhoneLover said:

The books are actually downloaded, but you have to go to the 'Previous Downloads' tab. There you will find all the books you have downloaded, then, click on it/them and select 'Download" to download it to the PC.

Previous downloads is empty, except for the text "No previous downloads"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 8:39 PM, trillium said:

Running into a similar issue. Under previous downloads I'm getting the message "Book Persistence Disabled"

Sorry, but I didn't show this message, or warning.

On 1/18/2022 at 10:43 PM, 40foot said:

kinda depressing... SOMETIMES you get results,  90 % nought nada nothing nil zero spinning wheel of... ah, forget it

Maybe it was happening time ago, when the service was in early development, and also the dev was experiencing some little problems with the integration and communication woth the server from the dev that provides the books. Now, seems to be working maybe a bit better than before? I only experienced this when I forgot to clear the search field content when reloading the page or restarting the container. Seems that it resumes the search if the user doesn't clear that field before shutting doen the container.

Any way, the developer of this image seems that does maintain it anymore (> 3 months without updates and/or GitHub issues replies). So, I will mark this template accordingly.

On 3/25/2022 at 4:46 PM, Nonobis said:

Do you think it's possible to add unraid permission for donwloaded file ? Every downlaoded file (yes it's working :) it's assigned to root user ...

I already tried using the Group/User ID variables, but them are not included/declared in the code. So, the only solution that I can think of, is creating a Cron Job (unRAID) with User Scripts (plugin) to automatically change the permissions of all the downloaded ebooks in the corresponding directory, periodically. Here you can find a good article about it: link

On 5/1/2022 at 12:00 AM, mrjoshuaco said:

I've found the primary issue is with the Blunderbus server results. Other servers have far higher success rates.

Do you know a way to solve that if not getting the results from that source?

On 5/23/2022 at 1:23 PM, SmartPhoneLover said:

Do you know a way to solve that if not getting the results from that source?

I've just finished up moving across country, but I'll take a look at it in the next week or so and get back to you.

Edited by mrjoshuaco
Typo
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...

If I install this, is it pulling the latest version from the github?

I'm having issues getting the IRC connection to work: "Unable to connect to IRC server."

But I don't want to open a github issue if I'm not using the current version.

Can't find anywhere in the app or log that shows what version it's using either.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
On 9/13/2022 at 3:39 AM, Ruthalas said:

I'm having issues getting the IRC connection to work: "Unable to connect to IRC server."

Can't find anywhere in the app or log that shows what version it's using either.

I have the same issue. Were you able to find a fix?

11 minutes ago, HomerJ said:

I have the same issue. Were you able to find a fix?

I think I need some sleep lol once I actually created an account and then entered my username, it seems to be connecting no probs. I just did a search and that worked as it should. Haven't tried to download anything yet. 

On 9/12/2022 at 6:39 PM, Ruthalas said:

Facing the same issue here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/18/2022 at 8:46 PM, bthoven said:

Just installed Openbooks docker. It connects properly, but no book can be found. It keeps on spinning/searching without showing any result. I reported in the newest issue in github.

I get the same behavior. I am also not seeing a log folder in the appdata directory and also get this error when i try and open a console.

OCI runtime exec failed: exec failed: unable to start container process: exec: "sh": executable file not found in $PATH: unknown.

I removed and reinstalled openbooks and now i am not getting that error, am getting logs and getting results but the UI is not displaying them.

I went out to the project page and noted some updates with the new release

• --name/-n flag must be specified when starting the application. OpenBooks will no longer generate a random noun_adjective username.
  • Only a single connection to the IRC server will be made. Opening a second browser tab will show an error message.

That explains the name thing.

I still never get results.  I thought it may be the instance on unRaid so I tried the .exe from the project page. Still no go. Finally to eliminate my network, I connected to a hotspot(mobile) and same result. I think I will try a couple other computers (OSx and Linux) and then if that doesn't work, wait for someone smarter than me to figure it out.