New Unraid user & Migration questions

SilasPMS

Hello there! New Unraid user here, migrating from a QNAP NAS TS-871 to a Poweredge R510 12 bays just aquired.

I got a migration question: I want to move all my disks to the Poweredge. Currently, all the 6 To HDDs are located in my QNAP (Raid 6, I can lose 2 drives). Got 4 x 4 To drives (1 acting as Parity) + 4 x 1 To that are located in my poweredge (totalling 16 To). I got an external USB drive (8 To) that I am willing to shunk for Parity.

Got 30 To of data to migrate.

What would be the ideal solution?

I was thinking of this scenario: transfer as much data that is possible to the Poweredge, then shunk the 8 To, add it as parity drive, move the 4 To as disk for the array. Then remove two 6 To from the QNAP, add them to the poweredge and to the array, bringing the overall size to 32 To. Migrate the rest of the data, and install the remaining 6 To as replacement for the 1 To.

There is the small percentage of chance that a drive in the QNAP fails during the migration, which would be a bummer.

What would you fine people recommend?

4 hours ago, SilasPMS said:

What would you fine people recommend?

Since drive redundancy is not a backup, and moving drives and data from system to system is one of the riskiest things you can do, I recommend obtaining as many new drives as necessary to keep a complete copy of your data intact somewhere.