Very New (And VERY Excited) To The unRAID Concept...

lungnut

I have been looking for a home media server that can serve a mixed OS (XP and OS X) environment. Everything I've looked at up until now has either been way too complex, way too expensive, or way too limiting (in terms of expansion).

I've been struggling for the past month or so to find "the perfect product", and after coming across the Lime site, I'm really excited--it almost seems to good to be true.

Do I have this right: I can buy the MD-1500/AO for $1200 and have a bring-your-own-disks solution that can accommodate 15 drives? Reliably? What would be the expected write speed of this solution if I use fifteen Seagate 750GB Sata 2 drives? And why is the MD-1500 limited to 15 internal drives if there are 16 hard drive slots?

The only downside to this solution that I can see is the fact that the storage doesn't create a single array, right? Thankfully, on the front page of Lime's site, I see that I can create what they call "user shares" so I can organize my data not by drives (what a pain in that would be), but by categories such as "movies" and "music". However, using such a system, as I write data to these folders, will I still be forced to decide which drives are dedicated to each user share? Meaning, if one 750GB drive isn't quite large enough to hold my music, do I have to define two of these drives to be my "music" folder?

I see that many of you are home builders, and so you might not know the answer to this question, but how loud is the MD-1500? Is it put-it-in-a-nearby-closet loud, or is it put-it-in-another-room loud? I don't expect it to be silent (how could it be), but I just want a ballpark.

Thanks so much! I hope this turns out to be the solution for me! I really want to be done with the searching and get on with the buying and enjoying!

And why is the MD-1500 limited to 15 internal drives if there are 16 hard drive slots?

I think the actual reality here is that you have 15 Data/media drives and the 16th is the parity drive.

I can't answer your other questions as I built my own server.  It is reasonably quite, although it is situated in another room.  I'm running 4.1 version (not the latest 4.2), so I don't know how the actual User shares work , but on my own set-up I have managed to fill all drives almost to total capacity with DVD's back-ups without the need of any serious automatic management.

I've been very happy with mine. 

Do I have this right: I can buy the MD-1500/AO for $1200 and have a bring-your-own-disks solution that can accommodate 15 drives?

So in looking closer at the board, it seems that these units might not actually be for sale. Man, I was really hoping to avoid the DIY thing. No matter--I need a storage solution and it looks like this is a really good option.

I've seen that several of you have used the Cooler Master Stacker. I just saw this case (the 830 model) on sale at Fry's for $99 after rebate. I really want to build my unit with Sata II hot swap drive bays. Since this case has 9 external 5.25" slots, if I buy 3 Icy Docks 4-in-3's (http://tinyurl.com/yvhv4w) for about $105 each, that means that I've got a 12-bay hot swap Sata II case, right?

Since it looks like I'm going to be spending roughly $425 on this case, is there any better deal to be had for a 12-bay (or more) hot swap Sata II case?

here's my build you can get some help from: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=896462

Cool! Thanks for the link. I think I can do this, and do it relatively fast. Your write up was great for all the detail--thanks for that, it will definitely help me out.

I wish that mobo was still available--I'm definitely going to look for one that has as many onboard Sata II ports as possible. Seven is amazing!

Would you have done anything differently now than you did then? How many hard drives do you have in the box now? Has your PS been able to keep up?

Cool! Thanks for the link. I think I can do this, and do it relatively fast. Your write up was great for all the detail--thanks for that, it will definitely help me out.

I wish that mobo was still available--I'm definitely going to look for one that has as many onboard Sata II ports as possible. Seven is amazing!

Would you have done anything differently now than you did then? How many hard drives do you have in the box now? Has your PS been able to keep up?

That mobo is still available, but not from newegg.  Directron, mwave, dell, zipzoomfly should still have them in stock.  Would I change anything? No, everything fit together nicely, at first i thought the PCI slot would limit my streaming of HD content, but 2-3 HD streams all from HDDs on the PCI bus was running smooth.  Only time the PCI bus really limits is when building/checking parity, as it is the slowest link in the system.  Maybe find a couple of compatible 4port PCIe sataII controller cards (or a single 8 port card) instead of using the PCI card.  I wouldn't mind picking up a semi-cheap non-hardware raid 8port pcie controller card myself :P

One thing I did change was instead of the 2gb kit, i bought a 1gb kit (2 x 512mb sticks), since unRAID only recognizes and uses 1gb of RAM.  I used the 2gb in another htpc build, so it didnt go to waste.

Currently I have 10 drives, and the PS is more than capable of keeping up. 500w is more than enough for 15drives w/o a hiccup!  Also, i'm using a 2gb cruzer micro flash drive that i picked up for $20 at best buy, if u get that, just remember to remove the U3 software thats loaded onto the flash drive by default.

good luck!

Do I have this right: I can buy the MD-1500/AO for $1200 and have a bring-your-own-disks solution that can accommodate 15 drives? Reliably? What would be the expected write speed of this solution if I use fifteen Seagate 750GB Sata 2 drives? And why is the MD-1500 limited to 15 internal drives if there are 16 hard drive slots?

Another interpretation on the 15 drive limitation is 7 SATA connectors on the mobo plus 4 ports on each of 2 Promise controllers = 7=4+4 = 15. Though, you might be able to use the eSata port and a different cable to get that elusive 16th drive.

Another interpretation on the 15 drive limitation is 7 SATA connectors on the mobo plus 4 ports on each of 2 Promise controllers = 7=4+4 = 15. Though, you might be able to use the eSata port and a different cable to get that elusive 16th drive.

Yeah, I totally see that! But, really, what my first post exposed was my own inability to multiply 3 X 5 = 15. I for some reason saw the backplanes on the front of the box and computed 4 X 4 = 16. That is why I was asking about 16 vs 15.

I just bought the case this afternoon. I'm going to be buying the majority of the other stuff online. The motherboard seems to be the trickiest thing. If I get that right, it seems everything else will be cake.

I'm excited.

• 2 weeks later...

fatal,

looking at the pictures on your avsforum thread, it looks like you only have six drives hooked up and no promise card in there, is that true? Also, when you eventually expand this server to 16 total drive (15 + parity) will you utilize the esata port? Thanks...

fatal,

looking at the pictures on your avsforum thread, it looks like you only have six drives hooked up and no promise card in there, is that true? Also, when you eventually expand this server to 16 total drive (15 + parity) will you utilize the esata port? Thanks...

i took those pictures before i installed all the wires, currently I have all 10 slots full.  If you look at the picture carefully, u'll see that the promise card is installed in there in the first PCI slot, just no wires connected.

As for expanding, currently I am waiting to see support for the PCIe rocketraid sata card, so i can install those (either 2 4port or 1 8port) instead of the PCI cards, it will speed up the parity checks/builds...although currently I do get around 40MB/sec for a parity check. 

And yes, If i do expand to 16 drives, I will have to use the esata port....unless I put another controller card in there, but only 1 of those ports will be used so the card would be a waste.

Archived