appdata folder was on cache drive which crashed...how to restore from backup (which I actually have)

Because my appdata folder was on the cache drive (which is no longer mountable), none of my dockers will start (duh).  But, the CA backup plugin wants to restore to /mnt/cache/appdata/.  Do I need to recreate that share first somewhere else?  Or do I need to add a new disk, recreate the cache, and then let it restore there?  I'm assuming the Docker service needs to know where the appdata folder is, which is why it won't start...

Any guidance would be appreciated!

based on where I recall using that drive last, it must have been.  Too bad I didn't get any notifications...but nothing I lost was earth-shattering luckily. 

On a related note, is it recommended to use compression on appdata backups (the default comes up with 'no' selected)?  If the files had simply been copied and not compressed to tar.gz, the backups might not have failed because no individual files would have exceeded 4GB.