Dell Poweredge R520 & SATA Drive Issues

Go to solution Solved by evakq8r,

Hi all.

I've been using Unraid for quite a while now and had the means to migrate my server from a makeshift server to a Poweredge unit I've acquired.

It comes with a PERC H700 mini flashed to LSI 2308 in IT mode and had come with 4x SAS drives. Installed a test environment of Unraid, worked fine. 

Started migrating my hard drives into it (7x Seagate Ironwolf NAS SATA 10TB drives), turned the server on and... nothing. No SATA drives. Turned off the server, plugged the SAS drives back in, nada. The only drives being detected are my NVMe cache drives. Tried plugging in a mix of SATA and SAS drives, same outcome. I have no idea what's caused Unraid to no longer find any SAS or SATA drives. To my knowledge, this controller should support both SATA and SAS drives.

Tried checking whether the BIOS or iDRAC would show the drives, but neither did (even when functioning previously) as the LSI has been flashed into IT mode.

Diagnostics attached. The syslog shows the LSI SAS 2308 controller still showing up and enabled, so I'm at a loss.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

tower-diagnostics-20220106-2316.zip

• Solution

Fixed the issue; ended up being an ID10T error.

The Dell drive caddies have a SAS and SATA hole layout, and I figured 'hey, I should use the SATA holes!'.... nope; the drives were not connected to the backplane as I didn't screw the drives into the correct holes in the caddy.

Now using the SAS holes, and lo and behold everything works!

• Like 1