Thoughts on new build?

betty02

Hi All,

Sorry to jump straight into advice on here but used my trial of Unraid and loving it. My Sky Q router however doesn't allow me to access things externally so a new modem and router has been ordered to get around that. In the meantime I only stuck it on an old machine to make sure I was convinced on using Unraid before I commit. After about 2 days I was sold!

Anyway just after your thoughts on the machine below I plan to build. Currently it's on a really old machine and it works fine to be fair but I also want the excuse to buy and build something new :)

CPU: Intel Core i3 10105F 3.7GHz Quad Core

Motherboard: MSI Z490-A Pro

RAM: 32GB Unbuffered - Unsure exactly on brand/model yet

Case: Fractal Define 7 XL

Power Supply: 550W Corsair TX550M TX-M Series 80 PLUS Gold Semi Modular

Cables: SATA Cables (6)

Fans: All stock fans

The board has 6 x SATA connections on it which will link my 6 x 2TB WD Blue's which i current have, it has 2 x NVME M.2 Slots on it and I have 2 x 1TB Samsun Evo 970's at work I can use for cache.

Main use will be that of anyone, Plex, Sonar, Radarr, NginX and maybe the odd VM.

What's your thoughts, any recommended changes? Probably pick up a few of these parts off eBay in all honesty.

Thanks, be gentle, first post and all that haha!

Regards

1 minute ago, betty02 said:

access things externally

Make sure you don't allow external access to your server except with VPN (Wireguard builtin) or setting up My Servers.

Hardware should be fine, except I assume the (small) spinners you are considering are disks you already have with maybe some wear on them. Make sure you test them or at least post SMART reports for them. To reliably rebuild a disk, Unraid must be able to reliably read every bit of parity and all other disks, so you don't want any unreliable disks in the array.

Thanks for the reply. As for accessing things wont be the server directly more a container on the server (Plex) - which in theory I guess is the same! I will look into wireguard , i was following these two guides with NginX and CloudFlare - (Sorry if we can't post links - Video 1 and Video 2)

As for the old drives It's what I have so to save on costs want to reuse, will be a full fresh install so I will do all the tests i can on them and SMART checks befre i put them into any form of array and live! Fingers crossed they hold up OK!

On 1/6/2022 at 11:36 AM, betty02 said:

CPU: Intel Core i3 10105F 3.7GHz Quad Core

Might want to double check that CPU. 'F' in the CPU title means it doesn't have integrated graphics - you'll need a separate graphics card for it to even boot. A 10th gen i3 without the 'F' (e.g. i3-10105) would have graphics + Intel's Quicksync, which you'll want for hardware transcoding using Plex. Of course if you have a separate GPU you can use that here.

• 3 months later...