Looking for new build advice - thinking iGPU for Plex transcoding

I'm currently running a couple of Unraid servers on old Xeon hardware.  An E3 1280 with 32GB RAM and E3 1240 with 16GB RAM and looking to consolidate and improve my transcoding capability.  

I run a Plex server for a lot of my family/friends and don't currently use a GPU to transcode, so I'm keeping 4K files for in-home streaming and 1080p files for remote.  Looking for something that could transcode up to 4 simultaneous 4K video files.

With GPU prices, that's leading me to think iGPU but I haven't built a non-Ryzen computer for years.

I'm also running a bunch of dockers and a couple of VMs (Ubuntu server for on-line poker hosting, a couple Windows sandboxes, and other Linux distros just to test out/play with) so thinking something with a few more cores would be helpful.

My main server is in a Supermicro 846 and I'll be repurposing everything but the CPU, MB, and RAM.  Anyone have any advice or anything I'm not thinking of I need to consider?  I'm not looking to spend a ton but willing if needed. 

Thank you to anyone taking the time to look at this.

• 4 weeks later...

So, after hemming and hawing over things for a bit, this is what I'm thinking.  Anyone have any gotchas I should be aware of?  And yes, it may be overkill but I'm looking to future proof for a while.

CPU: Intel i7 11700K

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus PRIME Z590-A

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3600 CL18

Will re-use the following:

Case: Supermicro SuperChassis SC846TQ

Backplane: Supermicro BPN-SAS2-846EL1

HBA: Dell PERC H310

10GB NIC: Mellanox ConnectX-2

I also pulled the plug and built my first server a week ago:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dreeas/saved/#view=wkcYdC

I was also afraid I was going overkill as I usually do. 

After playing with it for a few days I got a bit carried away and bought a RTX3060TI for the gaming VM I setup, and then the serverbuild wasn't overkill anymore.
Running about 20 dockers including Plex that uses the IGPU for 4K transcoding of very high bitrate files (70gb+), a win10 gaming vm and a Home assistant VM. 

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Dreeas said:

I also pulled the plug and built my first server a week ago:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dreeas/saved/#view=wkcYdC

I was also afraid I was going overkill as I usually do. 

After playing with it for a few days I got a bit carried away and bought a RTX3060TI for the gaming VM I setup, and then the serverbuild wasn't overkill anymore.
Running about 20 dockers including Plex that uses the IGPU for 4K transcoding of very high bitrate files (70gb+), a win10 gaming vm and a Home assistant VM. 

Good call on not getting an Alder Lake. I'm still sitting here GPU transcoding until Unraid updates the Linux kernel so I can use the iGPU.

11 minutes ago, flyize said:

Good call on not getting an Alder Lake. I'm still sitting here GPU transcoding until Unraid updates the Linux kernel so I can use the iGPU.

That's exactly why I'm going 11th Gen.  I don't want to pay the ridiculous GPU prices if I don't have to but really want to get in on the hardware transcoding train.  I'm hoping the issues get figured out soon though.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, ccruzen said:

@DreeasLooks like a great build and very similar to what I'm planning.  Glad to hear it is working out for you.

Is this your first foray into Unraid?  Just looked and I purchased my first Pro license in 2011.  Been using it ever since with great results.

Yeah I just heard of Unraid this fall, been scrolling the forums and youtube for a few months before jumping onboard. Coming from a Synology NAS.

On 2/2/2022 at 10:07 PM, zapp8rannigan said:

Howdo,

Sorry to weigh in here, so is the 11th gen fully supported now? including HDR tone mapping? keep reading mixed things and different methods, would rather stay on a stable build of unraid at the mo.

Hi,

No when I enable tone mapping I am not able to play back. 

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
On 2/1/2022 at 5:01 PM, Dreeas said:

Yeah I just heard of Unraid this fall, been scrolling the forums and youtube for a few months before jumping onboard. Coming from a Synology NAS.

@Dreeas - Welcome to the unRaid family! I'm a Veteran Noob 🙂 but it's been more than a decade and unRaid just works. And it works well. And the people are amazing!