How do I move 'system' share to another cache pool

tj0

Hi,

I have 2 cache pools : 'cache' and 'work', each using 1 dedicated NVMe drive. I would like both appdata and system to live on 'work' (Cache Only).

For some reason though (maybe I messed up at the beginining), system currently sits on 'cache'

root@ur:~# ls -la /mnt/cache/
total 16
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users  12 Jan  8 18:39 ./
drwxr-xr-x 7 root   root  140 Jan  8 14:34 ../
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users  26 Dec  5 20:17 system/
root@ur:~# ls -la /mnt/work/
total 0
drwxrwxrwx  3 nobody users  21 Dec  5 21:06 ./
drwxr-xr-x  7 root   root  140 Jan  8 14:34 ../
drwxrwxrwx 13 nobody users 197 Jan  8 05:06 appdata/

and changing "Select cache pool:" on the Shares tab doesn't seem to do anything about it, outside of strangely reporting 0 B free 

1219104621_Capturedecran2022-01-08a18_43_40.thumb.png.4d2a0dcd4af2b85256f0de634b364862.png

What's the correct course of action here ? Do I need to move folders around manually ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

TJ 

To move to a different pool via the stock OS

You first set the system share (leaving it on the original cache-pool) to be use Cache: yes.  Then run mover (VMs and Docker have to be disabled in settings)

After it's moved, change system share to use the new cache pool and set use Cache: Prefer.  Then run mover

Re-enable VMs and Docker in settings.

13 hours ago, Squid said:

Enable Mover logging in Notification Settings (Mover) and hit it again.

Hi - so Mover did not move anything again, and this is what I see in the logs :

Jan 9 10:55:38 ur move: file: /mnt/cache/system/docker/docker.img
Jan 9 10:55:38 ur move: move_object: /mnt/cache/system/docker/docker.img File exists
Jan 9 10:55:38 ur move: file: /mnt/cache/system/libvirt/libvirt.img
Jan 9 10:55:38 ur move: move_object: /mnt/cache/system/libvirt/libvirt.img File exists
Jan 9 10:55:38 ur root: mover: finished

also for what it's worth : 

root@ur:~# find / | grep docker.img
find: ‘/sys/kernel/slab’: Input/output error
/mnt/user/system/docker/docker.img
/mnt/cache/system/docker/docker.img

Thanks again !

20 hours ago, bonienl said:

Mover will never overwrite existing files.

You need to determine which files to keep and which files to delete, and move as needed.

Thanks and that makes sense, but I don't see any duplicates on the array (see the output of the find command above). Should I still fall back to moving files myself ?

I missed you're running 6.10-rc2  There's a known issue currently that you get that weird error (file exists) if the file exists on the wrong cachepool (which it doesn't)

However, in addition there's also another issue where any changes to the use cache setting don't take effect without a stop and start of the array.

So, error #2 is preventing mover from doing anything, and error #2 is also causing error #1

Stop and start whenever making any changes to use cache settings.  Should be hopefully fixed on next release