Disabled Disk won't rebuild

One of my drives started having the odd read error last week. As its one of my older 4tb drives I shrugged and ordered a replacement drive.

Shortly after Unraid disabled the drive. No problem, iIhave dual parity and a replacement is on its way.

before the arrival of my new drive another drive became disabled.

My replacement drive is now here and I'm trying to rebuild the first of the disabled drive onto this new 8tb disk. However the rebuild gets to somewhere in the high 40gigs of rebuild and consistently hangs. Plex and LMS non responsive, Unraid web interface unresponsive and neither will the server respond to a simple ping.

A hard power off and restart brings the box back into the same state, array comes up and the rebuild begins again. hits 40 something gig into the rebuild and repeat.

Unraid Version is 6.8.2 , i was planning to upgrade this week but issues got in the way

Not sure if related but the week previously I had an issue with the logs hitting 100% utilisation and the CPU display on the summary page not working. Since the server hadn't been rebooted in over a year, I rebooted and both issues disappeared.

thoughts appreciated as I'm running on borrowed time with no protection at the moment

Yeah, you'd need a PS that can handle ~70A on the 12V rail at minimum (ignore the total wattage of the powersupply as it's an irrelevant rating, and excluding any power hungry video cards etc ) and add in the considerations that as they age, Power Supplies cannot handle the rated power (on average they lose ~10% a year)

Thanks @trurl  I didn't think of that.... 

Additionally if it's possible, avoid using the Marvel controllers.  Marvel is one of those companies that since they realize that they can't compete don't even bother with keeping their drivers functional, and random drop offs are one of the nagging issues that they have.  Disabling VT-d in the BIOS (if you're not running a VM that requires passthrough) may help

Reboot is between these 2 entries?

Jan 10 14:23:02 DeepSpace9 root: error: /plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php: wrong csrf_token
Jan 10 14:32:08 DeepSpace9 kernel: microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0x27, date = 2019-02-26

That wrong csrf_token is cluttering your syslog, not the reason for hang, but easy to fix so you get a cleaner log.

On 1/8/2022 at 4:50 PM, Squid said:

if it's possible, avoid using the Marvel controllers.  Marvel is one of those companies that since they realize that they can't compete don't even bother with keeping their drivers functional, and random drop offs are one of the nagging issues that they have.  Disabling VT-d in the BIOS (if you're not running a VM that requires passthrough) may help

having read the wrong csrf token errors above in the log, i decided to remove my plugins and see if that helped.

all disks then rebuilt as per normal operation. Everything's now back up. I've updated to 6.9.2 and reinstalled my plugins. so far all seems good.

thanks for the help chaps

Edited by markiii