Best Option to Mount Network Drive

Pstark

I recently was able to setup and mount an FTP drive to my Unraid and got some pretty decent speeds. The only issue being, It still seemed to store the files on my MacBook Pro. For example, I download a file from safari and target the FTP Unraid drive, and it still used space on my MBP local drive as well as the Unraid. Not sure if this is behavior to be expected or not. I also tried a SMB which works as I would expect but it seems to be considerably slower than the FTP drive. FTP drive being ~400mbps and the smb drive being 50 to 100mbps.

What are your opinions?

Not clear what you are trying to do.

Unassigned Devices plugin will let Unraid mount shares from other computers on the network.

But it sounds like you are really just talking about reading/writing Unraid files from other computers on the network. Which, of course, is the primary function of any NAS.

2 hours ago, trurl said:

SMB is the usual way.

Maybe some other factors you aren't considering. Assuming at least 1GB ethernet, disk read/write speed is likely the biggest factor. And, whether the parity array is involved, or files on a faster pool such as cache.

I forgot to mention that I’m getting these speeds over Wi-Fi 6. 

I have 2x4tb WD RED’s, 1tb m.2 nvme cache drive. 1GBE Ethernet. Blackmagic speed test are right a 10MB/s. 

Having the cache drive I really thought I would get faster speeds. I’m not expecting to saturate the 1GBE connection but a Speedtest.net results faster speeds(400-550mbps). 

My goal is to be around 400-500mbps of throughput. I really only use it for storage and backups and dockers once in a while. 

I connect with a 80mhz channel low noise mesh network. 

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Some other things to consider about read/write speed. Maybe you already know these, but since I posted about them recently I will just link that other thread

I have yet to setup a parity. I’m planning to get another WD 4tb for a parity setup.