Shrink Array Prep

Go to solution Solved by tamito,

Hey guys,

I've got an 8 Disk array (x2 Parity & x6 Data). I've been using krusader to move files from /mnt/disk# to /mnt/disk# in preparation to shrink the array by removing Data Disk #5 & #6. My shares settings aren't currently targeting Disk #5/6 for use. Once I remove all my data off those two disks onto other disks (and run a parity sync) would I be ready to start following the wiki page about Shrink array?

41 minutes ago, tamito said:

Yes. I follow that link without any issue. Still have question regarding disk number skipping after shrinking the drive.

Did you already shrink the array and rebuild parity? Do you have parity2?

As long as you don't add or remove disks, parity remains valid if you change the data disk assignments. But parity2 will not be.

39 minutes ago, tamito said:

Yes. I follow that link without any issue. Still have question regarding disk number skipping after shrinking the drive.

You just use the New Config tool to re-order the disks. I can't remember if you have to enable the "preserve current assignments" option or not. But I did preform a New Config a few weeks ago to re-order the disk ahead of time and they are now in the order I want them listed in the array.

In case anyone was interested to know the results. I followed the instructions titled ""The "Remove Drives Then Rebuild Parity" Method"" on the Shrink Array wiki page. And I was able to unassign the two data drives I wanted to remove (after manually moving all the files off them ahead of time). My parity & parity2 are currently being rebuilt, so as long as my remaining drives don't fail during this window of parity sync all should be well. I am able to access my shares and the content in those shares seem to be working no problem. Now to wait 24-30Hrs...