[Support] Josh5 - Steam (Headless)

8 hours ago, Josh.5 said:

Anyone here getting errors trying to start the container, please make sure that you are not running any other containers like this that is using the GPU for a "screen". This is not currently possible.

Ahh. Initially thought to myself "Can't be that, I definately don't have any containers or VM's using the GPU at all other than the occasional Plex transcode." until it dawned on me i've been booting into GUI mode since watching a Spaceinvader One vid on doing that to force GPU's to idle for lower power consumption over time.

For anybody getting the same error as myself and @kl0wn, go to your 'Main' tab and click on your flash under 'Boot Device' and change the boot from 'Unraid OS GUI Mode' back to 'Unraid OS' as this will in effect count as a 'screen'.

A shame to lose that power/performance ratio though. If anything can be done to allow multiple screens that would be awesome but as I understand it is a limitation of the operating system. Thanks again, going to have a play now!

Edited by Irithor
38 minutes ago, s449 said:

Awesome container, really excited to test this.

I do have this issue on Safari, doesn't happen in Firefox. I can still use the VNC, it just is in the way. No big deal, I can set up in Firefox and shouldn't need to touch it again.

image.thumb.png.d2923d29706bd4379ba34ccf1b89088a.png

Thank you for making this!

Thats interesting to know. That is the audio websocket failing on your browser. It was a pretty thrown together bit of JS and could do with a bit of refining. I could disable audio for that browser.

Could you try something. In the VNC settings there is a checkbox for enabling audio. Can you unselect it before connecting?

43 minutes ago, Irithor said:

Ahh. Initially thought to myself "Can't be that, I definately don't have any containers or VM's using the GPU at all other than the occasional Plex transcode." until it dawned on me i've been booting into GUI mode since watching a Spaceinvader One vid on doing that to force GPU's to idle for lower power consumption over time.

For anybody getting the same error as myself and @kl0wn, go to your 'Main' tab and click on your flash under 'Boot Device' and change the boot from 'Unraid OS GUI Mode' back to 'Unraid OS' as this will in effect count as a 'screen'.

A shame to lose that power/performance ratio though. If anything can be done to allow multiple screens that would be awesome but as I understand it is a limitation of the operating system. Thanks again, going to have a play now!

Would you not get the same ratio using the Linux driver in the container? The desktop environment inside the container is pretty much going to do the exact same thing as what booting unraid to gui mode did.

30 minutes ago, Josh.5 said:

Thats interesting to know. That is the audio websocket failing on your browser. It was a pretty thrown together bit of JS and could do with a bit of refining. I could disable audio for that browser.

Could you try something. In the VNC settings there is a checkbox for enabling audio. Can you unselect it before connecting?

That fixed it! Thank you!

41 minutes ago, Josh.5 said:

Would you not get the same ratio using the Linux driver in the container? The desktop environment inside the container is pretty much going to do the exact same thing as what booting unraid to gui mode did.

If I were to leave the container running 24/7 instead then theoretically yes, but where as booting to GUI only shows about 13-14w consumption on a GTX1650 Super, substituting the container hovers around 20W due to which I assume is an increased workload over simply running the Unraid UI. No boot to GUI and no container hovers around 28w.

Hi, 

Thanks for this, tested with a few games and works great so far.

One issue I ran into while using Steam Remote Play was not being able to set a resolution/refresh rate higher than the settings available in noVNC.

Is there a way to add extra resolutions to noVNC so I can stream games to another PC at say 3440x1440 at 144hz?

Cheers!

Hi there and +1 on the thanks for this.

I can't clear the errors on this though when trying to start the container with or without my Quadro M2000.

Thing I've tried / confirmed:

• in the bios the default display output is set to onboard (mobo = ASUS P10S-I), with a dummy VGA plug plugged in (I see the Unraid text ui when I connect over IPMI)
  • made sure I booted Unraid without GUI
  • disabled all other docker containers and rebooted
  • checked the nvidia-smi output to see nothing else was using the GPU

Is there anything else I can check or try out?

steam-headless.txt

Edited by Sqibble
Added information
5 hours ago, Joly0 said:

Hey, great Project. Maybe it could be a good idea to integrate protonup/proton ge https://github.com/AUNaseef/protonup

You could do this by adding a script in /home/default/init.d/protonup.sh

# Install application
pip3 install protonup

# Set installation path as user
# Note: Run command with su because init processes are run as root but this is a user thing...
su ${USER} -c "protonup -d '/home/default/.steam/root/compatibilitytools.d/'"

# Update to the latest version on startup using the users Downloads directory
# Optionally, switch the the line below to run process in background and continue with boot
su ${USER} -c "protonup -y -o '/home/default/Downloads/'"
# su ${USER} -c "protonup -y -o '/home/default/Downloads/'" &

Edited by Josh.5
I actually tested these commands, then work
6 hours ago, fogbottom said:

Hi, 

Thanks for this, tested with a few games and works great so far.

One issue I ran into while using Steam Remote Play was not being able to set a resolution/refresh rate higher than the settings available in noVNC.

Is there a way to add extra resolutions to noVNC so I can stream games to another PC at say 3440x1440 at 144hz?

Cheers!

Yup. I personally have one of those dummy HDMI things plugged into my GPU, so I have not fully tested this. I'll reboot my server and play around with out the plug.

1 hour ago, Sqibble said:

Hi there and +1 on the thanks for this.

I can't clear the errors on this though when trying to start the container with or without my Quadro M2000.

Thing I've tried / confirmed:

• in the bios the default display output is set to onboard (mobo = ASUS P10S-I), with a dummy VGA plug plugged in (I see the Unraid text ui when I connect over IPMI)
  • made sure I booted Unraid without GUI
  • disabled all other docker containers and rebooted
  • checked the nvidia-smi output to see nothing else was using the GPU

Is there anything else I can check or try out?

steam-headless.txt 14.38 kB · 2 downloads

Can you take a look at the logs found in /mnt/user/appdata/steam-headless/.cache/logs/

Assuming that you have that as your home directory mount.

Going over the logs I found some things referring to localhost.

in /mnt/user/appdata/steam-headless/.cache/xorg.err there's:

tcpserver: fatal: temporarily unable to figure out IP address for localhost: network unreachable

and in /mnt/user/appdata/steam-headless/.cache/x11vnc.err:

10/01/2022 17:41:06 x11vnc version: 0.9.16 lastmod: 2019-01-05  pid: 185
10/01/2022 17:41:06 XOpenDisplay(":0") failed.
10/01/2022 17:41:06 Trying again with XAUTHLOCALHOSTNAME=localhost ...

This led me to reconsider my network settings. I had the container set to use br0, changed it to host and changed the extra parameter --hostname='steam-headless' to my device's hostname. And now it boots. Not sure why it didn't work for me using br0 but I don't think the problem is with your container.

So thanks for your time and sorry for wasting it 😅

Edited by Sqibble
5 minutes ago, Sqibble said:

Going over the logs I found some things referring to localhost.

in /mnt/user/appdata/steam-headless/.cache/xorg.err there's:

tcpserver: fatal: temporarily unable to figure out IP address for localhost: network unreachable

and in /mnt/user/appdata/steam-headless/.cache/x11vnc.err:

10/01/2022 17:41:06 x11vnc version: 0.9.16 lastmod: 2019-01-05  pid: 185
10/01/2022 17:41:06 XOpenDisplay(":0") failed.
10/01/2022 17:41:06 Trying again with XAUTHLOCALHOSTNAME=localhost ...

This led me to reconsider my network settings. I had the container set to use br0, changed it to host and changed the extra parameter --hostname='steam-headless' to my device's hostname. And now it boots. Not sure why it didn't work for me using br0 but I don't think the problem is with your container.

So thanks for your time and sorry for wasting yours 😅

Sweet as. Glad you got it working.

I wonder if I should set the template to use the host network by default. It is a bit simpler than creating a custom network. I personally have too many things running and this is not a good idea to use host on my server and bridge network with port mapping will become really annoying as more game services are added to the container.

2 hours ago, Josh.5 said:

You could do this by adding a script in /home/default/init.d/protonup.sh

# Install application
pip3 install protonup

# Set installation path as user
# Note: Run command with su because init processes are run as root but this is a user thing...
su ${USER} -c "protonup -d '/home/default/.steam/root/compatibilitytools.d/'"

# Update to the latest version on startup using the users Downloads directory
# Optionally, switch the the line below to run process in background and continue with boot
su ${USER} -c "protonup -y -o '/home/default/Downloads/'"
# su ${USER} -c "protonup -y -o '/home/default/Downloads/'" &

Ye, i know. Just an idea what might be useful to be added to the base image, but nontheless, great project, works good so far for me

18 hours ago, spdelope said:

Are there limitations to the games I can install, like I can't seem to install among us? Can I install ISO images?

So I was looking into this as well. From what I know only certain games are linux compatible which is what is likely of the case. I know while using linux machines you can install certain packages which allows to play windows steam games on linux. But I have yet to get it working form the research I have done 

So I was looking into this as well. From what I know only certain games are linux compatible which is what is likely of the case. I know while using linux machines you can install certain packages which allows to play windows steam games on linux. But I have yet to get it working form the research I have done 
I'll do my best to get tools setup in this image for simple setup/installation of games. I'll take a look at among us and see if it can be done. Once we get lutris and some other things installed, it should increase what can be done

So I'm sorry if this has been brought up but I'm having the same issues with this that I did with the other docker image intended for this purpose, the debian-nvidia one. Controller input works in steam big picture, but nowhere else when doing remote play. I've tried with my phone, and with another computer in the home. Otherwise it seems to work perfectly.

So I'm sorry if this has been brought up but I'm having the same issues with this that I did with the other docker image intended for this purpose, the debian-nvidia one. Controller input works in steam big picture, but nowhere else when doing remote play. I've tried with my phone, and with another computer in the home. Otherwise it seems to work perfectly.
Is this controller input using your phone?
3 hours ago, JimTebo said:

Having the same issue. Came here to say so and saw this, what are the odds?

I tried an Xbox Core Controller over Bluetooth to my Apple TV 4K, worked in Steam Big Picture menus just not in any games. I also tried touch controller on my iPhone, same deal. Interestingly mouse controls with the touch screen did work fine.

Both scenarios do work when streaming from other devices on my network which leads me to believe it’s an issue with this container specifically.

Everything else is working flawlessly for me, though. I’m really excited about this project.

23 hours ago, Josh.5 said:
On 1/11/2022 at 8:56 PM, deadmeatgames said:
well i can say the install nvidia driver step dosnt like quadro p600 that i have

Could you give me more info? What does it fail on?

Baiscly loops around "80-configure_nvidia_driver.sh" Could be the driver is just not advaliable

[ /scripts/40-setup_locale.sh: executing... ]
**** Locales already set correctly to en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8 ****
DONE

[ /scripts/50-configure_audio.sh: executing... ]
**** Configure pulseaudio socket ****
DONE

[ /scripts/80-configure_nvidia_driver.sh: executing... ]
**** Found NVIDIA device 'Quadro P600' ****
Downloading driver

[ /scripts/10-setup_user.sh: executing... ]
**** Configure default user ****
Setting run user uid=100(default) gid=99(default)
usermod: no changes
Setting umask to 000
Adding default home directory template
Setting root password
Setting user password
DONE

edit: so i manualy downloaded the driver thats the corect version that i have running on the host and placed it in the .cache/nvidia folder where the scipt expect it to be but it still just loops

Edited by deadmeatgames