[Support] Josh5 - Steam (Headless)

2 hours ago, Josh.5 said:

Sorry, I have not tried to use the container for this reason. If you do figure it out, please post some details here so that others can also set theirs up in the same way that you are trying to.

no need to be sorry :D 

i did install the Plugin uinput did da fresh install of the docker (for AMD user just delete the first Nvidia param and you are good to go)

then my controller worked inside Overlord 2 but only for one quick test after that i wanted to change my streaming settings and now the controlls wont work anymore.

Edited by domrockt
9 hours ago, Josh.5 said:
12 hours ago, HellraiserOSU said:
Hello! I am back to having this error... clean install too.. I deleted app_data for steam headless

2022-01-29 17:58:16,090 INFO spawned: 'novnc' with pid 1502022-01-29 17:58:16,091 INFO spawned: 'x11vnc' with pid 1512022-01-29 17:58:16,091 INFO spawned: 'desktop' with pid 1522022-01-29 17:58:16,099 INFO reaped unknown pid 169 (exit status 0)2022-01-29 17:58:16,113 INFO exited: desktop (exit status 1; not expected)2022-01-29 17:58:17,083 INFO exited: x11vnc (exit status 1; not expected)2022-01-29 17:58:17,087 INFO success: dbus entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)2022-01-29 17:58:17,087 INFO success: pulseaudio entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)2022-01-29 17:58:17,088 INFO success: sshd entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)2022-01-29 17:58:17,093 INFO success: udev entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)2022-01-29 17:58:17,093 INFO success: novnc entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)2022-01-29 17:58:17,186 INFO spawned: 'desktop' with pid 3122022-01-29 17:58:17,195 INFO reaped unknown pid 317 (exit status 0)2022-01-29 17:58:17,209 INFO exited: desktop (exit status 1; not expected)2022-01-29 17:58:18,250 INFO spawned: 'x11vnc' with pid 3292022-01-29 17:58:19,257 INFO success: x11vnc entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)2022-01-29 17:58:19,258 INFO spawned: 'desktop' with pid 3302022-01-29 17:58:19,258 INFO exited: x11vnc (exit status 1; not expected)2022-01-29 17:58:19,259 INFO spawned: 'x11vnc' with pid 3312022-01-29 17:58:19,268 INFO reaped unknown pid 336 (exit status 0)2022-01-29 17:58:19,280 INFO exited: desktop (exit status 1; not expected)2022-01-29 17:58:20,266 INFO success: x11vnc entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)2022-01-29 17:58:20,266 INFO exited: x11vnc (exit status 1; not expected)2022-01-29 17:58:21,095 INFO spawned: 'x11vnc' with pid 3482022-01-29 17:58:22,105 INFO success: x11vnc entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)2022-01-29 17:58:22,106 INFO exited: x11vnc (exit status 1; not expected)2022-01-29 17:58:23,109 INFO spawned: 'x11vnc' with pid 3492022-01-29 17:58:23,110 INFO spawned: 'desktop' with pid 3502022-01-29 17:58:23,121 INFO reaped unknown pid 355 (exit status 0)2022-01-29 17:58:23,136 INFO exited: desktop (exit status 1; not expected)2022-01-29 17:58:23,866 INFO gave up: desktop entered FATAL state, too many start retries too quickly2022-01-29 17:58:24,116 INFO success: x11vnc entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)2022-01-29 17:58:24,117 INFO exited: x11vnc (exit status 1; not expected)2022-01-29 17:58:25,120 INFO spawned: 'x11vnc' with pid 3672022-01-29 17:58:26,127 INFO success: x11vnc entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)2022-01-29 17:58:26,128 INFO exited: x11vnc (exit status 1; not expected)2022-01-29 17:58:27,130 INFO spawned: 'x11vnc' with pid 3682022-01-29 17:58:28,137 INFO success: x11vnc entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)2022-01-29 17:58:28,138 INFO exited: x11vnc (exit status 1; not expected)

I am running as host..
image.thumb.png.a594e69573892f5498f0815514a2bb1c.png

I've tried secondary display, :0 as  display ID, changing WebUi to a different port..
image.thumb.png.43e81e89f3c07a0fb545ba377eea1051.png

I can't get it to run again..

--Update--
Opening Desktop.err.log I'm getting

ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/alternatives/desktop-background': Permission denied
xrdb: Connection refused
xrdb: Can't open display ':55'
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/etc/alternatives/desktop-background': Permission denied
xrdb: Can't open display ':55'

Changing to a different number gave the same error
and changing it to :0 gave the same
xrdb: Can't open display ':0'
xrdb: Can't open display ':0'

Is xorg starting?

Hmm how would I know that?

I have no problems with VNC on VMs and other containers such as krusader and calibre

turns out that my bluetooth dongle wont work all the time with this docker, i connectet my controller via usb and now it works like charm, i can even skip the inhouse streaming and use my controller over usb as an VM inside an docker :D now i need to get sound working and iam good to go :D

i cant replace that dummy device with an actual sound device.. 

iam soooo close i can smell it.. 

Edited by domrockt
Hmm how would I know that?
I have no problems with VNC on VMs and other containers such as krusader and calibre
It's not vnc that is the issue. It is the Xserver. Your other containers are running a framebuffer Xserver. But they do not support GPU acceleration. This container is running an X11 server that supports your GPU, so it needs exclusive access to that hardware. If anything else is using that hardware, it will not start.
When you show me the X server log I'll have a better idea.
Take a look at the logs in /var/log/supervisor
21 minutes ago, Josh.5 said:

It's not vnc that is the issue. It is the Xserver. Your other containers are running a framebuffer Xserver. But they do not support GPU acceleration. This container is running an X11 server that supports your GPU, so it needs exclusive access to that hardware. If anything else is using that hardware, it will not start.
When you show me the X server log I'll have a better idea.
Take a look at the logs in /var/log/supervisor

Oh well that might be it. I have one GPU and it's being used sometimes by Plex .. maybe that's the case?

I've restarted Unraid and it's working again so I'll see if maybe when Plex starts transcoding it'll die out which forces me to restart the server.

It doesn't look like i have any log in supervisor though..

image.thumb.png.369daca9c1111f51c74a4288445ef730.png

8 hours ago, HellraiserOSU said:

Oh well that might be it. I have one GPU and it's being used sometimes by Plex .. maybe that's the case?

I've restarted Unraid and it's working again so I'll see if maybe when Plex starts transcoding it'll die out which forces me to restart the server.

It doesn't look like i have any log in supervisor though..

image.thumb.png.369daca9c1111f51c74a4288445ef730.png

Try checking the logs from the container's terminal:

image.thumb.png.7e64f452f9044160d2933b47f8de2801.png

Using the GPU for transcodes in Plex will not be an issue. Plex does not use that part of the GPU.

so far so good i believe the nature of this docker does not allow to connect any device directly to the server, but its on an agenda for the future?! 

so far i got a few things running with a few workarounds

AMD works fine

i can stream the Audio and Inputs (dualshock PS4) over my apple TV Box with steam link.

Ican skip the compression Artifacts because my HDMI output works just fine.

So clear Audio, low Input lag, no Artifacts but still the APU is compressing a Video stream what costs Performance.

why do it this way then? glad you asked, most of the AMD APUS wont passtrough to an Win VM with any board on the Marked or will give an output over the Mainboard HDMI.

This is as near as possible to the Livingroom Server/Gaming box so far i have ever gotten with Unraid :D 

4 hours ago, randomninjaatk said:

Is there a trick to get controllers working?

I have the uinput plugin installed, container running in host mode. Controller seems to work in Big Picture and shows up as an xbox controller in settings, but once starting a game, it doesn't work anymore.

do you have the Bluetooth variant? if yes try to plug it in via USB or better use Dualshok Controller. There seems to be some problems with the Microsoft Windows Bluetooth ones.

5 minutes ago, domrockt said:

do you have the Bluetooth variant? if yes try to plug it in via USB or better use Dualshok Controller. There seems to be some problems with the Microsoft Windows Bluetooth ones.

It's connected to the Apple TV 4k via bluetooth and the Apple TV is remotely connecting via the steam link app (streaming).

32 minutes ago, randomninjaatk said:

It's connected to the Apple TV 4k via bluetooth and the Apple TV is remotely connecting via the steam link app (streaming).

the same as by me, a shame that the new Apple TV has no USB connections :D i could not get it to work with my Bluetooth XBox controller, my PS4 Dualshocks work fine via Bluetooth.

it has something to do with the Distro, because my Main PC RTX 3090 does work well with the Bluetooth XBox Controller connected to the Apple TV via Moonlight AND Steamlink.

Edited by domrockt
Just now, domrockt said:

the same as by me, a shame that the new Apple TV has no USB connections :D i could not get it to work with my Bluetooth XBox controller, my PS4 Dualshocks work fine via Bluetooth.

Interesting that you say it works with a DS4 controller. I have 1 DS4 and a few 8bitdo Pro 2 controllers. So I can also give those a try when I have a chance later.

My default go to is to use the Xbox Series S/X controller though. I prefer the joystick layout and it's a quality controller.

I'll report back after I've given it a test.

Yes full functionality like left/right click, simulated mouse movement in Desktop Mode (actually pretty good) and of course in Games as expected.

4 minutes ago, randomninjaatk said:

My default go to is to use the Xbox Series S/X controller though. I prefer the joystick layout and it's a quality controller.

same

6 hours ago, Josh.5 said:

Try restarting the unraid server and then see if the controller works.

Tried a reboot and using either a DS4 or Xbox Series S/X controller connected via BT on the apple tv. Everything works in Big Picture using Steam Link app, but as soon as a game loads, it no longer works.

I can turn on mouse mode via steam menu options and that will still work in-game. But unless it's a point and click kind of game, its kinda useless.

Tried a reboot and using either a DS4 or Xbox Series S/X controller connected via BT on the apple tv. Everything works in Big Picture using Steam Link app, but as soon as a game loads, it no longer works.

I can turn on mouse mode via steam menu options and that will still work in-game. But unless it's a point and click kind of game, its kinda useless.
Ok.
Something must not be configured correctly. If the default container user can see and write to the /dev/uinput device, steam should be able to create the controller for the game
Do I have to do something to make sure the user can read/write to that location?

I only ever installed the plugin and configured the container for host mode as instructed.

Also for reference, I’m running 6.10.0-rc2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would like to think not. I'm also running this on rc2 with an Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU. When I go to the CA tab and run a completely fresh install following the template values, the container works out if the box with controller support in game.
The symptoms you are describing track with what happens when you install the container without installing the uinput module.
Without being able to reproduce your setup, I'm not sure how I can help.
2 hours ago, randomninjaatk said:

I’ll try removing the plugin, container, reboot and then install them both fresh.

Is there a preferred order of operations?

When I did it, I installed the plugin and docker container, then I restarted my machine to ensure that the plugin brought up the module correctly. You really should not have to restart the pc unless you have some kind of hardware issues.

In this case, I believe that you should be able to just carry out a fresh install of the plugin and container using the template from CA (not the my-steam-headless one that you have cached locally). It should just work.

For controller issues, it dawned on me that you may also be seeing an issue with steam itself....

A good way to test this that I use is to install the tux racer game from steam. This games is free, works natively on Linux and supports controllers and it's only a couple hundred MB. Install that and run it, if you controller works, then the issue is with steam and your game.

The second thing you can try if the issue does prove to be with steam and your game. Sometimes, when you startup steam link and connect to a game, the controller does not work, but KB and mouse does. If you stop streaming via steam link (keeping the game running) and then reconnect, sometimes this magically starts making the controller start working in game. I am not sure why this fixes it, but I know that I need to do this for SW KoTOR2 in my library.

wasn't able to find the tux racer on steam, installed a "super tux" but the controller still didn't work.

It's weird. For me, remote play with a controller works fine for big picture mode but doesn't work for most games. Interestingly however, Black Mesa was the only game workdc for me. However I think this is because the game emulates a keyboard for its "controller support". I wonder if that means that controllers work but for whatever reason they aren't assed as a controller output.

some things I tried: 

1. I checked "/dev/input" but only ever saw the keyboard I have plugged into my unraid server. 

2. I also tried installing the steam udev rules and that didn't do anything.

3. I added the user "default" to the group "input" but neither changed anything. I don't know if the docker already does this but i did it to see if anything changed but it didn't

Finally one really weird thing: Josh.5, I tried your suggestion of stopping streaming and then starting it again and discovered that my controller via remote play will work for like 1 second and then will stop working. 

1 hour ago, Moosatronic said:
wasn't able to find the tux racer on steam, installed a "super tux" but the controller still didn't work.

Sorry, I meant "super tux"

It's weird. For me, remote play with a controller works fine for big picture mode but doesn't work for most games.

Steam creates a virtual controller when you use remote play. That's why it works in big picture but not in the game.
https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/steam_controller/steam_input_gamepad_emulation_bestpractices

some things I tried: 

1. I checked "/dev/input" but only ever saw the keyboard I have plugged into my unraid server. 

2. I also tried installing the steam udev rules and that didn't do anything.

3. I added the user "default" to the group "input" but neither changed anything. I don't know if the docker already does this but i did it to see if anything changed but it didn't

Finally one really weird thing: Josh.5, I tried your suggestion of stopping streaming and then starting it again and discovered that my controller via remote play will work for like 1 second and then will stop working. 

1. That is fine. I think so long as it exists, then you are fine.

2. The udev rules will not change anything here. The init scripts are setting permissions correctly (I just triple checked a clean install of the container, running a game from my phone).

3. The input group does not exist in the container, so this would also not do anything.

What may have an effect are things like:

1. Update the permissions

# First check the permissions
ls -la /dev/uinput
# Update them to rw by everyone
chmod 666 /dev/uinput

2. Try running it from another PC or device.

Edited by Josh.5
10 hours ago, Josh.5 said:

Sorry, I meant "super tux"

Steam creates a virtual controller when you use remote play. That's why it works in big picture but not in the game.
https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/steam_controller/steam_input_gamepad_emulation_bestpractices

1. That is fine. I think so long as it exists, then you are fine.

2. The udev rules will not change anything here. The init scripts are setting permissions correctly (I just triple checked a clean install of the container, running a game from my phone).

3. The input group does not exist in the container, so this would also not do anything.

What may have an effect are things like:

1. Update the permissions

# First check the permissions
ls -la /dev/uinput
# Update them to rw by everyone
chmod 666 /dev/uinput

2. Try running it from another PC or device.

So what I ended up doing was just reinstalling Steam-Headless entirely and everything now works. My mistake was, as you had suggested to someone else earlier, that I installed steam-headless before installing uinput. To save you some headaches Josh I would reccomend you make it clear in big bold letters at the top that all users should install uinput before installing steam-headless. I would think that doing so will save you and users some headaches as im sure most people will be using controllers.

While I read your stuff regarding uinput, in my naevity I didn't think it was necessary for remote play controllers to work. I suspect most users will want to play using controllers so insisting on users installing uinput FIRST will likely prevent unnecessary support.

also assuming once an arch-based steamos 3.0 version exists in the future, if you aren't aware of it already, I would like to suggest an additional script to install chimera, which allows you to install heroic epic games, and retroarch games directly to steam big picture mode for convenience via web on your local network. steam-headless seems like a perfect situation where chimera would be useful. dont think there's a way to install on debian but im no linux master. chimera