[Support] Josh5 - Steam (Headless)

2 hours ago, Josh.5 said:

What do the logs say?

Possibly a port conflict with port 8083

The log seems fine except FATAL on sshd, uncertain as to why that happens;

I thought as much it being a port conflict but don't think it is. Couldn't find any more references to port 8083. On the VM it is currently using GRAPHICS - VNC:5900

Edit: Fixed the SSH FATAL, changed back to the standard port of 2222 and changed my other docker that was already using port 2222. But still the same problem with me not being able to noVNC into the container.

I've tried setting another X display but I'm still seeing the console of the VM. But then again, I'm really uncertain how X is working.

log.txt

Edited by alexxx

Is there a way to change the port that noVNC is using?  If you set the networking to "HOST", noVNC uses 5900 and that is already assigned to one of my VMs.  I go to http://<unraidIP>:8083 and it brings up the noVNC connect page, when I click connect with audio enabled it bombs out, and when I click connect without audio I get to my pfSense VM.

32 minutes ago, ishcabittle said:

Is there a way to change the port that noVNC is using?  If you set the networking to "HOST", noVNC uses 5900 and that is already assigned to one of my VMs.  I go to http://<unraidIP>:8083 and it brings up the noVNC connect page, when I click connect with audio enabled it bombs out, and when I click connect without audio I get to my pfSense VM.

Answered my own question:

Open the Console of the container

Edit:

/etc/supervisor.d/vnc.ini

Change both of the "5900" to "5909" or similar, your choice, just don't be the same port one of your VMs is running on.

• Like 1
Edit:
Change both of the "5900" to "5909" or similar, your choice, just don't be the same port one of your VMs is running on.
I'll update the docker image to make all these ports configurable
  • Like 1

Hey, today i tried using lutris but i needed to change esync/ulimit/nofile limit to a higher value but i tried it with the following guide but it doesnt get changed https://github.com/zfigura/wine/blob/esync/README.esync

then i tried searching for solutions but they all say this to change the hard limit. so my question is, how would i change this value?

I also tried edditing /etc/pam.d/common-session* and adding session required pam_limits.so

I am also getting this error in my log all the time, i just reinstalled the template to the latest version(didnt delete any files)

2022-02-20 03:37:45,135 INFO spawned: 'x11vnc' with pid 464
2022-02-20 03:37:46,147 INFO success: x11vnc entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)
2022-02-20 03:37:46,148 INFO exited: x11vnc (exit status 1; not expected)

Edited by L4stIdi0t
Hey, today i tried using lutris but i needed to change esync/ulimit/nofile limit to a higher value but i tried it with the following guide but it doesnt get changed https://github.com/zfigura/wine/blob/esync/README.esync

then i tried searching for solutions but they all say this to change the hard limit. so my question is, how would i change this value?

I also tried edditing /etc/pam.d/common-session* and adding session required pam_limits.so

I am also getting this error in my log all the time, i just reinstalled the template to the latest version(didnt delete any files)

2022-02-20 03:37:45,135 INFO spawned: 'x11vnc' with pid 4642022-02-20 03:37:46,147 INFO success: x11vnc entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)2022-02-20 03:37:46,148 INFO exited: x11vnc (exit status 1; not expected)

Such a change would need to be made on the host. Not inside a container.

For Civilization V, it's giving me the error unable to load texture LoadingBaseGame.dds.  It seems it's having issues with file systems that are case sensitive. Does someone know how to change to to not be case sensitive? I have it being installed on a separate share that I've mapped in the container and I've always tried moving the install to the default location to no avail. 

I've also tried Proton and the Windows version but that gets stuck at completing installation. Thanks! 

@ich777 was just telling me that apparently some games do not like some of the magic that exists in our Linux file systems and one possibly solution is to use a direct path to the disk rather than the array. Eg:

Instead of `/mnt/user/games/` use `/mnt/diskX/games/`

I see that a few people have run into that XFS error. I have been unable to reproduce it on my Steam library. But if someone here is seeing that, perhaps you could give this suggestion by ich777 a shot and report back??

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Josh.5 said:

@ich777 was just telling me that apparently some games do not like some of the magic that exists in our Linux file systems and one possibly solution is to use a direct path to the disk rather than the array. Eg:

I see that a few people have run into that XFS error. I have been unable to reproduce it on my Steam library. But if someone here is seeing that, perhaps you could give this suggestion by ich777 a shot and report back??

So currently it seems my steam games share is spread across three disks.. Easiest way to  consolidate so I can try mounting to diskx?

1 hour ago, HellraiserOSU said:

So currently it seems my steam games share is spread across three disks.. Easiest way to  consolidate so I can try mounting to diskx?

Use the unBALANCE plugin.
image.thumb.png.9bd5e451ed4f8b89f07ed3fb99ec10e1.png

Once you have consolidated the games, you will also want to ensure that your games share is limited to a single disk on your array.

As I said, I personally have not seen this issue on my games library. So my library is scattered across a number of disks and my cache drive and it works fine. So this should only be required for people who do run into issues. You could look at specifying a separate library for those games that is a volume mounted directly from one of the disks.

Edited by Josh.5
  • Like 1

Fantastic work! I really never play games, but I bought a 3070, so I pop on and play something occasionally. Until recently, I have had a Windows VM that had my Hard Drive passed through to it. It was kind of annoying to have to start that just to play a game for a few minutes. I recently started messing around with passing my GPU into various shared docker containers instead of purpose built VMs for the various tools, so that Windows VM is basically dead to me. With your docker container, I can quickly drop into a majority of the games that I would play with ease and without having to think about what VMs are currently booted.

Now to figure out how to use VLANs and still do Remote Play locally... Also, I was fighting to get my laptop to connect via Remote Play. It would start the game, then report it was disconnected while the game would continue to run on the server. Turned out to just be an issue with my laptop as Steam Link on my phone works flawlessly.

Fantastic work! I really never play games, but I bought a 3070, so I pop on and play something occasionally. Until recently, I have had a Windows VM that had my Hard Drive passed through to it. It was kind of annoying to have to start that just to play a game for a few minutes. I recently started messing around with passing my GPU into various shared docker containers instead of purpose built VMs for the various tools, so that Windows VM is basically dead to me. With your docker container, I can quickly drop into a majority of the games that I would play with ease and without having to think about what VMs are currently booted.

Now to figure out how to use VLANs and still do Remote Play locally... Also, I was fighting to get my laptop to connect via Remote Play. It would start the game, then report it was disconnected while the game would continue to run on the server. Turned out to just be an issue with my laptop as Steam Link on my phone works flawlessly.
What are you using for network hardware to setup your vlans?
9 hours ago, bamhm182 said:

Awesome! If you figure out the VLANs let me know. I'm going to be installing Opnsense here soon and have a few managed switches ready to go.

On 2/22/2022 at 4:35 PM, Josh.5 said:

I just tried this, and no luck for me. All my game files were on the one disk in the array already

Edit: i just re-read that, i hadnt changed the docker mapping. i'll have a go at that over the weekend and report back.

Update: tried it and still same error for Left 4 Dead 2

Edited by eatoff

hey i wonder if anyone can help me, i got the steambox running great with the uinput and my controller works fine so no complaints there! great work! What i want to be able to do is play star citizen through that same headless steambox, now i have seen this page: Star Citizen Lutris

i am still new to linux so count me as not tech savy when it comes to linux, i managed to get a few things running on my unraid server (plex with gpu, steam headless shares gpu with plex, a few things for media searching etc... and windows 10 VM with gpu) but im stumped when it comes to adding things into docker containers or building them, so how would i go about doing this? i kinda need well explained step-by-step or a built docker i can use lol

i also have a 3D mouse that i use for star citizen that uses a vJoy interface so i also need to find a way of using that if possible?

Edited by Malus

I had this container working fine, and started it today and came to this.

Uppdated the container and same issue.

Log gives following warning.

WARNING: Unable to locate/open X configuration file.

Package xorg-server was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xorg-server.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'xorg-server' found
Option "ProbeAllGpus" "False" added to Screen "Screen0".
Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration" "True" added to Screen "Screen0".
New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

DONE

Full log here.

log.txt

Any help is appreciated

I got it working again, i removed everything, restarted and redid everything.

For some reason was the container linked to my ubuntu vm, not sure how that happen...

Edited by Zidichy
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

would it be possible to run a windows VM with GPU from within this container somehow? if so how might i go about doing this?

reason for doing it is that some games have anti-cheat that does not work with proton and needs windows to work properly so i want a windows VM within the docker (so that it uses the same GPU) to stream it from the VM to the docker for those games that require anti-cheat.

On 2/19/2022 at 7:12 AM, ishcabittle said:

Edit:

Thanks ishcabittle, I think this might be the solution to my problem. However, everything is set to environment variables, nothing is currently set to 5900. Could you share the lines from your vnc.ini file?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 10:08 PM, aots74 said:

Thanks ishcabittle, I think this might be the solution to my problem. However, everything is set to environment variables, nothing is currently set to 5900. Could you share the lines from your vnc.ini file?

sorry it took a week to see this, but it was my understanding that the OP was going to change the way that this worked so it wouldn't conflict.  My vnc.ini is now using environment variables as well:

command=/usr/bin/x11vnc -display %(ENV_DISPLAY)s -frbport %(ENV_PORT_VNC)s -shared -forever

I haven't touched this in a while, I set the networking to custom : br0 and have been playing things via a browser.  I was going to check back and see if the template surfaced these variables but it doesn't look like that's the case.