[Support] Josh5 - Steam (Headless)

@Josh.5 Any chance you can also implement a Password keyring that unlocks automatically too?

Reason being, I also want to install the Minecraft Launcher, but it saves it's login via the Gnome keyring.
Or if there's a better way I'd be happy to hear that too
You can add your own container init scripts to install any keyring software that you need
2 hours ago, Josh.5 said:
3 hours ago, Spectral Force said:
@Josh.5 Can you access this container outside your local network?  I have a piece of software on steam that I'd like to reverse proxy to use at work during down time.

I recommend setting up a VPN for this.

Yeah can't do that and access it from work.  Was hoping for a reverse proxy solution.  Thanks.

On 4/4/2022 at 12:51 AM, Josh.5 said:
On 3/29/2022 at 7:02 PM, xorinzor said:
@Josh.5 Any chance you can also implement a Password keyring that unlocks automatically too?

Reason being, I also want to install the Minecraft Launcher, but it saves it's login via the Gnome keyring.
Or if there's a better way I'd be happy to hear that too emoji6.png

You can add your own container init scripts to install any keyring software that you need

Yes, but it's a real hassle to unlock them automatically due to the the auto login.

There's a way to do it, but it requires changing config files which won't be persistent.

Additionally, it'd be a nice addition if there's a boolean variable in the docker config that would enable password-protected access to the NoVNC (as well as another option to disable NoVNC entirely).

On 4/6/2022 at 1:57 AM, Spectral Force said:

@Josh.5 

Is there a way to change the 8083 port?  I use it for calibre web already. I tried setting a different port on install but it won't resolve to the new port.  Thanks!

You can set any of the ports with there variables:

PORT_SSH="2222"

PORT_VNC="5900"

PORT_AUDIO_STREAM="5901"

PORT_NOVNC_WEB="8083"

PORT_AUDIO_WEBSOCKET="32123"

10 hours ago, xorinzor said:

Yes, but it's a real hassle to unlock them automatically due to the the auto login.

There's a way to do it, but it requires changing config files which won't be persistent.

Additionally, it'd be a nice addition if there's a boolean variable in the docker config that would enable password-protected access to the NoVNC (as well as another option to disable NoVNC entirely).

So what password keyring exactly do you want added. And how do you configure it to auto-unlocks? 

2 hours ago, Josh.5 said:

You can set any of the ports with there variables:

PORT_SSH="2222"

PORT_VNC="5900"

PORT_AUDIO_STREAM="5901"

PORT_NOVNC_WEB="8083"

PORT_AUDIO_WEBSOCKET="32123"

I can't find how to add those, am I adding them as a port or a Variable and putting the name like,

SOMETHING_SOMETHING=
Then the variable as

"1234"

1 hour ago, AnnabellaRenee87 said:

I can't find how to add those, am I adding them as a port or a Variable and putting the name like,

SOMETHING_SOMETHING=
Then the variable as

"1234"

These are all variables. When you add them you can modify the ports that internally the services start on.
Port mapping on this template is not going to change anything as the container is running on the host network so it shares the same port availability as the host 

These are all variables. When you add them you can modify the ports that internally the services start on.
Port mapping on this template is not going to change anything as the container is running on the host network so it shares the same port availability as the host 
I was able to get it working, is there a way to password protect the VNC session? If I can password protect it, that would be perfect!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

On 4/7/2022 at 3:21 AM, Josh.5 said:

So what password keyring exactly do you want added. And how do you configure it to auto-unlocks? 

Found some info on that back then, but wasn't able to find it again.

I did however stumble upon another solution by using KeePassXC (tutorial here, if others are interested). This solution can easily be done via the init.d script and wouldn't require any modifications of the docker container :)

Would still be nice to configure a variable for the docker container to add a NoVNC Password or (preferably) disable NoVNC entirely.

Just gonna add this here for others to find if they're googling for it.

I tried playing Halo Master Chief Collection (MCC) on Steam-headless. But the game would randomly freeze in the main menu, often when trying to change the settings. Audio would keep playing.

After a bit of debugging it turns out that it tried to open too many files. Adding the following to the extra parameters in the docker container configuration fixed this: 

--ulimit nofile=100000:200000

Disclaimer: I just added random high values for both soft and hard limits here as I wanted to test if it would resolve my issue.

I don't know what possible implications this will have, use at your own risk.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Trying to move to this from the debian buster-nvidia docker and I can't seem to get the VNC port(s) to change. I'm adding:

` -e PORT_VNC="5904" -e PORT_AUDIO_STREAM="5905"`

EDIT:

I realized that at some point my GUI mode started running on the nvidia card instead of the integrated GPU for my board. This was undesirable and I corrected it (my board has IPMI and the integrated graphics must be used for IPMI to be able to capture the screen). After correcting that and purging this container and setting it back up everything worked as expected. Not sure why it didn't work with the GUI running on the GPU, or why it also didn't work with DISPLAY=":0"

No worried as its working as intended now.

Edited by Xaero
On 4/3/2022 at 11:25 PM, Spectral Force said:

@Josh.5 Can you access this container outside your local network?  I have a piece of software on steam that I'd like to reverse proxy to use at work during down time.

Yes it's possible as I've done this.

So I modified the container a bit, it now auto starts with steam link instead,

and is all you need to do is press " Start Playing "

But sadly I still have issues with the sound not getting through,

the thing is I have audio working in local ip + port.

So something is not correct in my rp config...

console says "websocket connection to 'wss://domain.com:32123/' failed

And I have high delay, guess 250Mbit/s just dosen't cut it for game streaming.

However the delay is mostly because of my upload, 1Gb up should work fine as I've tested in my local environment. 

But in order to have this working smothly (as it does on the steam link app on ios) I belive a diffrent solution other then noVNC + nvidia gpu, is needed which I am currently using.

Would also love to have the "scaling mode" set to "Local Scaling" as default instead of "none"

I haven't really updated my container in a long time, since i got most of it working as a want but,

@Josh.5 would it be possible to have steam link as a first choice instead of the steam client that was in the container?

Edited by Zidichy
Yes it's possible as I've done this.

So I modified the container a bit, it now auto starts with steam link instead,
and is all you need to do is press " Start Playing "
But sadly I still have issues with the sound not getting through,
the thing is I have audio working in local ip + port.
So something is not correct in my rp config...
console says "websocket connection to 'wss://domain.com:32123/' failed

And I have high delay, guess 250Mbit/s just dosen't cut it for game streaming.
However the delay is mostly because of my upload, 1Gb up should work fine as I've tested in my local environment. 

But in order to have this working smothly (as it does on the steam link app on ios) I belive a diffrent solution other then noVNC + nvidia gpu, is needed which I am currently using.

Would also love to have the "scaling mode" set to "Local Scaling" as default instead of "none"

I haven't really updated my container in a long time, since i got most of it working as a want but,
@Josh.5 would it be possible to have steam link as a first choice instead of the steam client that was in the container?
How do you start the container with steam link? I know nothing about this. I thought steam link was the app on Android iOS etc....

@Josh.5 It is but it's also available for linux :)

So I installed steam link with flatpak 

https://flatpak.org/setup/Debian

Once installed, it looks like this,

https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.valvesoftware.SteamLink

Then you simply pair your steam account to steam link and you have access to your entire library,

basically it looks like steam big picture.

To have steam link start up automatically I created a new shortcut in sessions and startup.

I then added a name, desc, command, triggered on login, image below :) 

1889388964_steamlinkconfig.thumb.png.5f1d16276db6948048e08fc4a2230fe9.png

2131139062_steamlink.thumb.png.25e60d68c193da9c1d18eda060e538ff.png

But I would prefer to have steam link as a default instead of me modifying this awesome container you have created.

@Josh.5 It is but it's also available for linux
So I installed steam link with flatpak 
https://flatpak.org/setup/Debian
Once installed, it looks like this,
https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.valvesoftware.SteamLink
Then you simply pair your steam account to steam link and you have access to your entire library,
basically it looks like steam big picture.

To have steam link start up automatically I created a new shortcut in sessions and startup.
I then added a name, desc, command, triggered on login, image below  
1889388964_steamlinkconfig.thumb.png.5f1d16276db6948048e08fc4a2230fe9.png
2131139062_steamlink.thumb.png.25e60d68c193da9c1d18eda060e538ff.png

But I would prefer to have steam link as a default instead of me modifying this awesome container you have created.
So you are using steam link through a vnc connection? Steam is playing the game and encoding it to a video. Then you have steam link connecting to it locally and decoding that video. Then you have vnc re-encoding that display again...??? Why would you do this?
14 hours ago, Josh.5 said:

So you are using steam link through a vnc connection? Steam is playing the game and encoding it to a video. Then you have steam link connecting to it locally and decoding that video. Then you have vnc re-encoding that display again...??? Why would you do this?

The normal use is so you could play on your tv or via a device that doesn't have the hardware to support the game.

On 5/14/2022 at 11:44 AM, Spectral Force said:

I had this working, don't know how but after I installed a new video card it stopped working.  I since did a clean install.  Remapped the ports but it still goes to 5900 for vnc.  You can see the container config, the template xml and the picture from my unraid docker area.

steam headless 1.png

steam headless 2.png

steam headless 3.png

@Josh.5 Any thoughts on what might be happening?

Anybody able to get the GPU to idle properly with this docker?
As long as steam is running the lowest power state it will enter is P0 instead of dropping to P8 (2d clocks). This is a pretty substantial power draw difference when the docker isn't actually doing anything - 20W in P0 vs 7W in P8 on my system. I had the debian steam nvidia docker before and was running it without this issue. For now I'm just closing steam within the docker and then manually opening it up again when I want to use it, but thats kind of a PITA and requires manual intervention constantly.

@Josh.5 Got an error from the log:

2022-05-21 04:04:26,391 INFO success: x11vnc entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)
2022-05-21 04:04:26,403 INFO success: desktop entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)
2022-05-21 04:04:26,611 INFO exited: xorg (exit status 1; not expected)
2022-05-21 04:04:26,625 INFO spawned: 'xorg' with pid 343
2022-05-21 04:04:26,893 INFO exited: xorg (exit status 1; not expected)
2022-05-21 04:04:27,104 INFO exited: desktop (exit status 1; not expected)

Any insight would be helpful.