[Support] Josh5 - Steam (Headless)

2 hours ago, ich777 said:

The CPU governor should not affect the GPU…

I know that's why I never changed it. I'm not quite sure if it's the architecture of the Haswell CPU that's limit the VT-x when changing the governor? Tried it a few days ago on "power save" and it didn't worked. As I know there wasn't any big updates. 

I saw the discussion about installing proton via script, but it would be great to get it in the container natively. With the advent of the steam deck, it's really become a powerhouse.

I assume this will transition to the Steam OS theyve been building for the deck, once it officially releases as 'Big Picture 2.0', or whatever they call it?

---------

I am actually having some permission issues with the proton install script provided earlier, so Ill have to take a look at it. Not used to handling user's permissions/owners properly in linux.

-------

After a bit more investigation, the permission thing seems to be a protonup problem: https://github.com/AUNaseef/protonup/issues/25

The Author of ProtonUp is MIA, so a new PyPi package was created in the meantime: protonup-ng

The PR detailing the switch to Protonup-ng is here: https://github.com/AUNaseef/protonup/pull/26

You can fix your boot script running protonup by simply changing 'pip3 install protonup' to 'pip3 install protonup-ng'

Edited by Agent531C

Does anyone else get artifact info when remote playing via steam link app?

See the attached pictures.

This happens regardless of the encoding method. In my case I have Intel i5 8700k for hw acceleration, or AMD RX6700 XT.

If anyone has any tips on what is causing and how I could fix it, I’d appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_0866.jpgIMG_0864.jpg

Small question: 

I am currently using a Galaxy Tab with Steam Link and your Docker container. Now I would like to add a controller, which combination makes the most sense here.  Should I pair the controller directly with the tablet or rather directly with the Unraid server as you described in the first post?  To play as lag free as possible the server variant should be the best or ?

For the life of me I can not get sound to work via vnc with this container.  At first I attempted to change the vnc ports as I do have another docker that also used 5901 but when changing the enviormental values, the docker still went with the defaults.  I went as far as forking the docker and hardcoding the changes.  While it did change the ports sounds still does not work for me.  Its the same error in the error log as the other person who had the issue had, "tcpserver: fatal: no IP address for localhost". Any thoughts on things I can try?

So ran across a project that enables moonlight streaming and it could be a good alternative to steam remote play.

Project: Sunshine
URL: https://sunshinestream.github.io/

Any chance this could get incorporated? It is supposed to have better quality video and possibly lower latency. I've tested it some and it works great on other systems. Would be nice to have this packaged into this container as an alternative to steam's remote play option.

Edit: Updated to the correct URL

Follow up edit, stumbled across another project that is similar to this, thought it was interesting, also appears to utilize sunshine: https://games-on-whales.github.io/gow/

Edited by randomninjaatk

OK I was looking more at the dockerfile on git, I dont think the environmental variables for the ports will change anything as they are currently.  The ports are exposes as the actual ports and not the variables.  So even if you change the variable the port is still the same.  I could be wrong as this is really the first time Im looking at ta dockerfile ment for dockerman.  I tested on the fork I made and it seems to work the way I think it should when I do this:

# Configure required ports
ENV \
    PORT_SSH="2222" \
    PORT_VNC="5904" \
    PORT_AUDIO_STREAM="5905" \
    PORT_NOVNC_WEB="18083" \
    PORT_AUDIO_WEBSOCKET="32123"

# Expose the required ports
EXPOSE ${PORT_SSH}
EXPOSE ${PORT_VNC}
EXPOSE ${PORT_AUDIO_STREAM}
EXPOSE ${PORT_NOVNC_WEB}
EXPOSE ${PORT_AUDIO_WEBSOCKET}

Note I left in port changes I had made for myself but I tested by changing the env variables for vnc and audio for 5908 and 5909.  I can say for sure that I can vnc into 5908, I still have no audio so thats still an issue but I dont "think" its related to this.  Unless im using port 32123 somewhere and do not realize it.

Ok I think I fixed the issue with sound, at the very least its now working through novnc.  The vnc-audio.ini needed to be changed.  It looks like tcpserver isnt able to lookup localhost via dns so I changed it to 127.0.0.1. 
I sent a pull request, but Im somewhat new to git so the build file for the docker needs to be changed back to the main repo from mine.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ChronoStriker1 said:

Anyone know how to proxy the novnc with Nginx Proxy Manager?  I cant figure out the correct settings for /websockify to get it to forward for sound properly.

Thanks for the PR. I will look into it at some point this week and get it merged.

For Nginx and websockets, you need to ensure you have set "proxy_http_version  1.1;"

I cant say that i have proxied this UI before, but at a guess I suspect this would work:

location / {
        proxy_pass          http://127.0.0.1:32123/;
        proxy_http_version  1.1;
        proxy_set_header    Host $host:$server_port;
    }

Hi everybody,
I have the Steam Headless app up and running.
This is exactly what I have been waiting for as I have not been able to get my GPU 2070 to pass through successfully.
I want to play CIV VI and I can lauch the game no problem and get it going.

However - When I need to fill the policy slot - Nothing happens when I click it.
image.png.fe1f4141b67d1342625f3a3f87c3de20.png

The same goes for the menu under Goverment.

This makes the game literally unplayable 😞

Has anyone encountered this as well? What am I doing wrong?

image.png

I just updated UNRAID from 6.10.1 to 6.10.3 and now steam headless wont work. On the log console i get a spam of this:

2022-06-22 20:56:06,396 INFO spawned: 'x11vnc' with pid 566
2022-06-22 20:56:07,408 INFO success: x11vnc entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)
2022-06-22 20:56:07,409 INFO exited: x11vnc (exit status 1; not expected)
2022-06-22 20:56:08,412 INFO spawned: 'x11vnc' with pid 567
2022-06-22 20:56:09,425 INFO success: x11vnc entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)
2022-06-22 20:56:09,426 INFO exited: x11vnc (exit status 1; not expected)
2022-06-22 20:56:10,429 INFO spawned: 'x11vnc' with pid 568
etc...

What should i check?

Attached, my config

2022-06-22 20_57_53-UNRAIDSRV_UpdateContainer – Mozilla Firefox.png

2022-06-22 20_59_23-UNRAIDSRV_UpdateContainer – Mozilla Firefox.png

• 1 month later...

I'm unable to start most games in my Steam library, they either don't start at all or include an "out of memory" Steam error. I created a Games share and set it to the default directory, otherwise followed instructions. Excited to get this working as I use my GPU (Nvidia GTX 1050 ti) for other containers as well, so currently a VM isn't an option. My CPU is an Intel i3 6100, if that is not powerful enough.

Edit: the only game that has worked for me so far has been "The Binding of Isaac," unsure why all others aren't able to launch.

Added additional 16gb for 32gb RAM total and still getting same Steam out of memory errors.

EDIT 2: Fixed by following:

Edited by KidsTheseDays
Fixed by https://forums.unraid.net/topic/118390-support-josh5-steam-headless/page/8/#comment-1099677
On 2/19/2022 at 9:37 AM, L4stIdi0t said:

Hey, today i tried using lutris but i needed to change esync/ulimit/nofile limit to a higher value but i tried it with the following guide but it doesnt get changed https://github.com/zfigura/wine/blob/esync/README.esync

then i tried searching for solutions but they all say this to change the hard limit. so my question is, how would i change this value?

I also tried edditing /etc/pam.d/common-session* and adding session required pam_limits.so

I am also getting this error in my log all the time, i just reinstalled the template to the latest version(didnt delete any files)

2022-02-20 03:37:45,135 INFO spawned: 'x11vnc' with pid 464
2022-02-20 03:37:46,147 INFO success: x11vnc entered RUNNING state, process has stayed up for > than 1 seconds (startsecs)
2022-02-20 03:37:46,148 INFO exited: x11vnc (exit status 1; not expected)

For this esync issue you need to edit the Docker Container for Steam-Headless and enable the Advanced view (default is Basic just check the slider). Then in the Extra Parameters: add

--ulimit nofile=1024:524288

Restart the container and you should be good to go. Worked for me with Disco Elysium from GOG.

I just installed this for the first time - and novnc doesn't start. The rest seems ok, but I'm unable to connect to port 8083.

In the docker logs I note the following;

> 022-07-31 23:57:28,170 INFO exited: audiostream (exit status 111; not expected)

> 2022-07-31 23:57:29,252 INFO exited: novnc (exit status 1; not expected)

Everything else seems ok, but those two processes attempt to start and fail in the same way a few times until supervisord gives up on them.

Anyone else seeing something like this?

I just installed this to keep my steam library updated without having to leave gaming systems on overnight (most of the games are installed on a network shared SSD). I'm running into an issue where Steam keeps closing, looking at the log in unraid I'm seeing:

INFO reaped unknown pid _____ (exit status 0)

Seems to last 10-20 minutes at the most before disappearing.

Hi @Josh.5

Is there a possibility to start Steam hidden on a persistent basis?
Everytime I restart the container the setting gets lost.

btw...beautiful container, especially in combination with the uinput plugin!
You may be able to do what this is by tweaking the autostart config in the home directory.

During the container startup, it creates an entry in ~/.config/autostart

If you edit this file, the container startup rsync command should ignore the updated file (I think. Unless an updated container would have newer files ). In the file, add the '-silent' flag to the Exec command line.

If this file update is overwritten when the container the restarts or when you update the container, I'll need to change the rsync command used to install the home directory template during init
On 8/7/2022 at 9:11 PM, Josh.5 said:

You may be able to do what this is by tweaking the autostart config in the home directory.

During the container startup, it creates an entry in ~/.config/autostart

If you edit this file, the container startup rsync command should ignore the updated file (I think. Unless an updated container would have newer files emoji848.png). In the file, add the '-silent' flag to the Exec command line.

If this file update is overwritten when the container the restarts or when you update the container, I'll need to change the rsync command used to install the home directory template during init

I edited Steam.Desktop but it wasn't persistent.

• 2 weeks later...

I deployed the app but I have issues with audio, can you provide some hint? This is what I have in the log:

root@SteamHeadless:/# cat /home/default/.cache/log/audiostream.err.log 
tcpserver: fatal: unable to bind: address not available

The strange thing is that I have audio in the Steam Remote session if I open a web browser in the background but not in Steam. In Steam it says the audio settings are unavailable. This happens both with AMD and Nvidia card

This is like magic! thanks so much for creating this. I have spent days trying to get gpu passthrough working with a VM. This is just so easy.

For thos having issues with VNC no sound try a different web broswer. I find chrome works whereas safari displays an error.

I'm using steam remote play so only using vnc to setup up games / downloads etc.

Will then play with one of the moonlight setups for outside the house steaming.

I'm running an nvidia rtx a2000.