[Support] Josh5 - Steam (Headless)

Great Project and thanks for the work. I love trying out new stuff 🙂

Whish to get it working and use it as a secondary (maybe as primary also) Gaming Station for my wife and maybe me. Currently im running two Windows VMs, streaming via parsec. Second VM is off to utilise the GPU for other stuff. So the docker would make it even easier to switch between gaming nad non gaming.

Now i got multiple Questions. 

1. How to tell the Docker it should use GPU2 (/dev/dri/card1)?

2. How to enable H265 codec for streaming?

3. I got the same artifacts like randomninjaatk a few post before. Same AMD GPU

To 2. Maybe iam trying out the Sunshine option and everything is working fine ;-) 

Tried the same config as on the windows machine. There i got "AMF HEVC" Codec. 

My Hardware: 

CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

2x AMD 6700XT (MSI / XFX)

Maybe helpful for somebody: I got a 21:9 Monitor with a resolution of 3440x1440 and my HDMI dummy ist not showing this Resolution nativly. You can add these by: 

cvt 3440 1440 60
xrandr --newmode WHAT_THE_LINE_ABOVE_TELLS_YOU
eg. xrandr --newmode "3440x1440_60.00" 419.50 3440 3696 4064 4688 1440 1443 1453 1493 -hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode HDMI-0 3440x1440_60.00

I havent tested if these are persistent. 

Or like someone mentioned, add Display Environment Variables. 

• Like 1
On 2/22/2022 at 12:35 AM, Josh.5 said:

@ich777 was just telling me that apparently some games do not like some of the magic that exists in our Linux file systems and one possibly solution is to use a direct path to the disk rather than the array. Eg:

Instead of `/mnt/user/games/` use `/mnt/diskX/games/`

I see that a few people have run into that XFS error. I have been unable to reproduce it on my Steam library. But if someone here is seeing that, perhaps you could give this suggestion by ich777 a shot and report back??

Using '/mnt/cache/Games/' solved my issue of most games not launching and throwing up memory and other errors. Just tested Psychonauts, will try a much more recent game in the future. Thanks @Josh.5 and @ich777

My previous post is here

Edited by KidsTheseDays
Added path I used '/mnt/cache/Games/'
  • Like 1
On 1/21/2023 at 8:19 PM, Josh.5 said:

I took a quick look into this. This is happening because steam is creating a drive link "Z:" to your root path "/" as a symlink. If you then view this from the host Unraid OS it looks like this:
image.thumb.png.935a0e9ce0be61b99feeff51c33d8dfc.png

This is not something that the Steam Headless container is doing as much as it is what the Unraid host shares are doing. It has created a symlink to / and so if you brows that you will see all the things in your root filesystem.

Hopefully this helps you in finding a solution that works for you. As for this container, there is not really any point in finding a fix. The solution as far as I can tell is to better configure your network shares for Unraid.

Thank you for looking into this.  Sorry for my late reply.

My concern is that the symlinks, and the folder containing the symlinks, were created by this container.

I don't think this is an issue with my share config, as it hasn't changed in a long time, and the offending folder and symlinks didn't exist before I installed the Steam container.

But now that I know they are symlinks, I can just clean them up.  Thanks for taking time to look into it.

When ever I've had an issue its usually because it got interrupted during the initial download the bit that happens after you install the container but before the VNC GUI webpage loads.

I would recommend you delete the container from the docker menu.

Then delete the folder on the appdata share.

Then re-install the container.

Start the container.

Click on the log file for the steam-headless container & watch it progress.

Once it's finished you'll be able to load the VNC webpage & try loading steam.

Edited by dopeytree

Anyone tried Hogwarts Legacy? Since it'S steamdeck compatible, I though it would work. Yesterday it downloaded but when trying to run, I had error activating title. I deleted everything and today when I went to download, it says platform not compatible. It says only Ubuntu with Unity, Gnome or KDE is supported.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Benoitvinc said:

Trying to use sunshine with moonlight, am i the only one that is unable to get keyboard and mouse support ? I can start and connect using moonlight , i get a video stream but unable to control the keyboard or mouse. 

me too. 

I have read something about multi sessions or seats. So the keyboard and mouse ist on the wrong "Desktop". But i have no idea to check ths or even fix it.

38 minutes ago, Benoitvinc said:

I just did change the network mode for the container from bridge mode to network ... and also update the container to the version release last night and now keyboard and mouse is working !!!

You cannot run this container in bridge network mode if you want to use inputs outside of steam big picture. Bridge will prevent things like controllers from working in game.

On 2/9/2023 at 12:18 AM, Nodiaque said:

Anyone tried Hogwarts Legacy? Since it'S steamdeck compatible, I though it would work. Yesterday it downloaded but when trying to run, I had error activating title. I deleted everything and today when I went to download, it says platform not compatible. It says only Ubuntu with Unity, Gnome or KDE is supported.

This is the wonderful world of Denuvu DRM. What you need to do is use a version of Proton that doesn't get regular updates so stock proton 7 would be good choice or some people use ProtonGE7. I'm not sure how you install other protons on this steamheadless. 

On steamdeck you just go to the appstore and download an app that lets you choose other proton versions.

But basically even if your game half loads that counts as an activation and they are being real crappy and only allowing 1 activation per 24hours. So if you install on another device or steamdeck it might not work for 24hours. I complained quite alot about this recently and they may have increased it from 1 in 24 hours but I'm not sure. 

Anyway hope you get to play the game. Its great once it works. The fun starts after about 4hours when you get a broom.

Edited by dopeytree
9 hours ago, Benoitvinc said:

Yep. I figure that out this morning . My bad for not reading the instructions!

your container is awesome sir !

Do you got your inputs working? 

I started the container from scratch and just added the env for sunshine. 

On Unraid 6.11.5 the uinput plugin is not needed anymore, right? 

Here is the docker log, maybe i'm missing something. 

493416457_Screenshot_20230212_002924_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.d37f05a70fef6efa51290f89760c3a9a.jpg

831703833_Screenshot_20230212_002914_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.995ca8910f2bc3047af642ddc3cc86e7.jpg

And the Docker Config: 

1196411218_Screenshot_20230212_003444_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.4fbb9f0a6edee385a46ed4fb9476641e.jpg

140031567_Screenshot_20230212_003459_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ae9abf76940d9f046340a3da04437ab3.jpg

On 2/11/2023 at 1:53 PM, dopeytree said:

This is the wonderful world of Denuvu DRM. What you need to do is use a version of Proton that doesn't get regular updates so stock proton 7 would be good choice or some people use ProtonGE7. I'm not sure how you install other protons on this steamheadless. 

On steamdeck you just go to the appstore and download an app that lets you choose other proton versions.

But basically even if your game half loads that counts as an activation and they are being real crappy and only allowing 1 activation per 24hours. So if you install on another device or steamdeck it might not work for 24hours. I complained quite alot about this recently and they may have increased it from 1 in 24 hours but I'm not sure. 

Anyway hope you get to play the game. Its great once it works. The fun starts after about 4hours when you get a broom.

4 hours when you get the broom? Lol, I think I'm exploring too much. I'm level 21, just got in the map room without the book, have 30% challenge done across the world. I'm 10 hours in lol. 

I selected proton 7.0.6 in steam, it download proton 7 and now the game start and close, no message, nothing. :(

Edited by Nodiaque

Hello, 
I tried using the default compose file to run in my with ubuntu 20.04. But it seems to have failed some processes and novnc giver cant connect to server error.

I have the following logs: 

dless-steam-headless-1  | 2023-02-21 15:13:33,440 INFO exited: xorg (exit status 1; not expected)
steam-headless-steam-headless-1  | 2023-02-21 15:13:34,444 INFO spawned: 'xorg' with pid 469
steam-headless-steam-headless-1  | 2023-02-21 15:13:34,573 INFO exited: xorg (exit status 1; not expected)
steam-headless-steam-headless-1  | 2023-02-21 15:13:35,576 INFO spawned: 'xorg' with pid 483
steam-headless-steam-headless-1  | 2023-02-21 15:13:35,705 INFO exited: xorg (exit status 1; not expected)
steam-headless-steam-headless-1  | 2023-02-21 15:13:37,808 INFO spawned: 'xorg' with pid 508
steam-headless-steam-headless-1  | 2023-02-21 15:13:37,934 INFO exited: xorg (exit status 1; not expected)
steam-headless-steam-headless-1  | 2023-02-21 15:13:40,942 INFO spawned: 'xorg' with pid 534
steam-headless-steam-headless-1  | 2023-02-21 15:13:41,065 INFO exited: xorg (exit status 1; not expected)
steam-headless-steam-headless-1  | 2023-02-21 15:13:41,800 INFO gave up: xorg entered FATAL state, too many start retries too quickly
steam-headless-steam-headless-1  | 2023-02-21 15:14:01,652 INFO exited: desktop (exit status 11; not expected)
steam-headless-steam-headless-1  | 2023-02-21 15:14:01,655 INFO spawned: 'desktop' with pid 766
steam-headless-steam-headless-1  | 2023-02-21 15:14:01,657 INFO exited: x11vnc (exit status 11; not expected)
steam-headless-steam-headless-1  | 2023-02-21 15:14:02,661 INFO spawned: 'x11vnc' with pid 776

On 12/14/2022 at 5:09 PM, dopeytree said:

Anyone know how to implement the ‘steamdeck’ new style big picture mode? I tried changing to steam beta but then it crashed every-time I load big picture? 

I am having an issue all of a sudden with big picture mode not loading correctly. Could it be related to this new big picture mode? Has it made its way out of beta?

I couldn't get Hogwarts Legacy to work on this steam-headless system & experimenting means I'v them unable to run on my steamdeck (joys of devuvo DRM) so for the past few weeks been soley playing games on steamdeck.

Do you use steam beta? If yes try swapping to normal branch. Otherwise you could force update of the container (by going to docker view of containers -> advanced) which should re-download the various system bits in this steam-headless container.

Edited by dopeytree

Hi, 

I'm having the same problem with Hogwarts Legacy - shows "Playing" but then closes itself after a few seconds. Did suffer from Denuvo DRM for a while, but not getting that anymore.

Booting Steam from a terminal to see what HL is logging hasn't shown anything meaningful. For now I'm running it in a Win VM. Any suggestions welcome! 

Re hogwarts - I'm getting some weird performance issues in my windows VM. Not sure whats happening. Maybe a disk slowdown. Its only doing 20fps but the cpu is only at 40% and gpu is low usage. Trying to get the DRM free version working via lutris but lutris didn't install.

Anyone know how to get LUTRIS to re-install?

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know how to resolve issues with the container failing while installing nvidia drivers?

Steam  | [ /etc/cont-init.d/60-configure_gpu_driver.sh: executing... ]
Steam  | **** Found NVIDIA device 'Tesla P4' ****
Steam  | Installing NVIDIA driver v530.30.02 to match what is running on the host
Steam exited with code 1

If i spin up the container using bash as an entrypoint and then run /etc/cont-init.d/60-configure_gpu_driver.sh the script seems to complete correctly. Any idea what i am doing wrong?

Edited by primeval_god