Looking to upgrade for 4k playback

I've used my current build for years now without major issues but have come to limitations for playback of 4k blurays it seems.

So my current hardware is as follows:

case: Lian Li PC-Q25B

MB: Asus H97I-Plus Intel H97

CPU: Intel Core I5-4570S

RAM: 2x 4096MB DDR3-1600 Kingston Value

GPU: Asus Geforce GT 1030

PSU: SilverStone SST-ST45SF-G 450W SFX

I'm using mainly LibreELEC in a vm for playback of my movies but 4k playback isn't possible it seems.

The video is lagging and CPU workload is at 100%.

Using hardware acceleration in Kodi doesn't help with my GT1030.

So I'm planning to upgrade my build but haven't been looking for new hardware since 3 years now.

Is it possible to upgrade my PC-Q25 case with only a new MB+CPU+GPU?

The case only supports GPUs up to 210mm as my drive cages are all in use.

Or does it make more sense to just switch to a bigger case for more GPU possibilities?

On 1/11/2022 at 1:04 AM, Marv said:

I'm using mainly LibreELEC in a vm for playback of my movies but 4k playback isn't possible it seems.

The video is lagging and CPU workload is at 100%.

Using hardware acceleration in Kodi doesn't help with my GT1030.

Since you're already familiar with LibreElec...

Get one of the compatible media boxes (cheap), attach to your TV(s) and network with NAS, install Coreelec which is closely related to LibreElec.

Then you'll be able to direct play your 4K movies, with a minimum hardware investment and electricity usage.

Those media boxes easily play everything, including 4K.

Unless you're already geared up to spend tons of money on new hardware that would be capable of accomplishing the exact same thing.

Edited by Lolight

Yeah, I've been considering this aswell but I also use a Win VM for Steam in-home streaming and some other stuff... and actually I'd really love to keep the flexibility I have with the VM functionality of unraid. :)

Right now I'm using the AUS H97I-Plus motherboard together with a Bplus PM1061 SATA III to mini-PCIe 2.0 Adapter. So I have 6x Sata 3 ports available which are all in use by 4TB WD Reds.

The M.2 port of the motherboard is used by a Samsung 960 Evo as cache

So this would be the minimum I need from a new motherboard together with one PCIe 3.0 x16 port for my GPU of course.

The problem I have now is that I'm running out of space on my array. So I either have the possibility to switch to a bigger case that supports micro-ATX to get more SATA ports or I upgrade my HDDs. Actually I like the second option more as my PC-Q25 sits in the living room and I couldn't find another case that my wife would accept yet... :)

I'd love to upgrade to a Lian LI PC-M25 but this case is no longer available it seems...

So if I stay with the PC-Q25 which would be silent! HDD recommendations as an upgrade to my 4TB WD Reds? I once tried n 8TB WD Red but they all do these clicking noises that are a no-go for me, because of the living room situation.

If I find silent HDDs with maybe 8 or 10 TB of space I think I can keep my case and just need to update Motherboard+CPU+RAM to be able to play 4k content smoothly, correct?

Does anyone use a better GPU that fits in a PC-Q25 case?

What would be a good motherboard option for me? I'd also like to have the possibility for IPMI.

If someone owns a PC-M25 Lian Li case and wants to sell it by the way. I'd buy it :)