Interface Rules - How to release an interface in use by UNRAID?

I cannot find in user guide a description of Settings : Network Settings : interface rules. So I turned to the forum.

My UNRAID uses eth0 (10Gig NIC port2) as primary connection. I successfully bound eth1 (10Gig NIC Port1) using "System Devices : Bind Selected..." button. eth2 is onboard LAN (shutdown inactive, 'In Use by Unraid') and appears as second option in interface rules. See pic below. 

In interface rules I get the option to set eth2 to same MAC as eth0. Is that normal to set both eth0 and eth2 to same MAC?

If I set eth2 to same as eth0, does that mean that onboard NIC (eth2) will be released by UNRAID?

image.thumb.png.c2093a7d22fcbce6b419b36e124081d5.png

Thanks for great forum support!

Edited by cometship

How do I release a NIC interface from UNRAID that is labeled in Network Settings as 'shutdown inactive', and in System Devices page as 'In Use by Unraid'?

Do I just set above eth2 to same MAC as eth0? Is that the procedure to remove a NIC that is in use by UNRAID?

Don't want to try without getting some confirmation to avoid braking something and then have to figure out the fix.

More details in the User Guide could help with questions like this. Maybe I'm not looking at the right wiki.

Thanks

• cometship changed the title to Interface Rules - How to release an interface in use by UNRAID?

Hi, please find attached diagnostics. The Fix Common Problems Plugin found no errors.

How do I release a NIC interface from UNRAID that is labeled in Network Settings as 'shutdown inactive', and in System Devices page as 'In Use by Unraid'?

NICs are not bonded or bridged. 

Do I just set above eth2 to same MAC as eth0? Is that the procedure to remove a NIC that is in use by UNRAID?

image.png.1f0e9832e43e871248109e5fd5fee75a.png

image.thumb.png.3b223d775647d7a689f8087bdd9991c4.png

Thank you for your help.

Edited by cometship

Oh that screenshot helps a lot - it looks like both NICs are in IOMMU group 12.  You can only assign an entire IOMMU group to vfio-pci, you can't assign partials. Since eth0 is in use by Unraid, everything in IOMMU group 12 is effectively "in use".

For starters I would see if there is an updated bios for your motherboard. Here is a recently example of someone who got a beta bios that did a better job of splitting IOMMU groups:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/118297-iommu-bind-group-devices-vfio-pciids/?tab=comments#comment-1083855

It isn't ideal, but another option is to go to Settings -> VM Manager -> Advanced View -> and take a look at the help for "PCIe ACS override", it is a way of splitting IOMMU groups up.