[solved] n00b help with NIC

All

I am a first time unRAID builder and got an old machine im trying to use unRAID on but can not seem to get unRAID to get an ip address

I know this isnt the best build (nForce4 has issues) but i got all (including HDs) of it for $100 so i thought it would be worth a shot.

I think my flash drive is good because it boots to unraid and i get to login using root. (no hang ups on bzroot/bzimage)

Build:

Case: Antec Super LanBoy.

Power Supply: Season S12 430W modular design.

Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI. AMD Socket 939

CPU: AMD Athlon 3500+

CPU cooler: Zalman.  CNPS7500-AlCu.

Graphics card: Nvidia 7900GT.

Memory: 1 GB DDR. 2 sticks of 512MB each. 2 open slots on motherboard for memory expansion.

Hard Drive: 80 GB SATA. Seagate Barracuda model ST380811AS.

2 TB WD20EARS SATA

Optical drive: DVD-ROM IDE. Sony model DDV1615.

Card reader: 3.5”/memory card reader combo. Floppy drive is not hooked up. Card reader is hooked up.

I know there are 2 ethernet ports on the the MB. I have in the BIOS disabled one (left the Marvell Youkon on). I know the port works because if i boot into windows i have connectivity.

I also have a PCI realtek ethernet in there from an old dell machine -- i know this works as well (again works in windows)

i have tried disabling both onboard LANs and using this and no dice.

at a complete loss for what to try or do now, and hoping the fourms can help (pleeeese)

I have taken some pictures of various screens (ipconfig in windows / bios settings / unraid login / ifconfig via unraid) to see if it helps

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/19041/1/unRaid%20pics%20help?h=7ea9b5

Thanks

Travis

Looks like you don't have a network.cfg file in /boot/config/ (the config directory on your flash drive).  If that is indeed the case, create one and paste in the following

# Generated network settings
USE_DHCP=yes
IPADDR=
NETMASK=
GATEWAY=

You can do it from your windows machine or you can create/edit the file directly using vi or medit from a console on the unRAID box.  After a reboot it should use DHCP to get an IP address.

If that doesn't work, please attach a syslog so we can get more in depth info about what is going on ;)

Sorry to be a pain but i booted into unRaid -- logged in using root -- typed the command: cp /var/log/syslog /boot/syslog.txt

the command didnt give any errors -- took the flash drive out of unRaid box and put into mac -- cant see or find a syslog.txt anywhere.

Thanks for the quick replies and help

Put the flash drive back in the unraid box and type

ls -l /boot/

If you see syslog.txt listed then you'll have to seek help from someone with some mac knowledge to figure out whats going on on the desktop side of things.  If you don't see it listed then syslog was not actually copied.  In that case, copy the file again then verify it copied using the ls command.  If it still doesn't copy I'd be suspect of the flash drive.....

Sorry to be a pain but i booted into unRaid -- logged in using root -- typed the command: cp /var/log/syslog /boot/syslog.txt

the command didnt give any errors -- took the flash drive out of unRaid box and put into mac -- cant see or find a syslog.txt anywhere.

Thanks for the quick replies and help

The advice to copy the file to /boot assumed the flash drive was mounted at /boot.

unRAID identifies the drive to be mounted by the volume label on the flash drive.  it must be "UNRAID" (six letters, all capitals)

If it is mounted you'll see files there when you type:

ls -l /boot

If the volume label was not set, the flash drive will still boot, and you'll still be able to log in, but the network config file it expected to read from the flash drive will not be found and the network connection not established.  (symptoms sound familiar?)

If the flash drive has U3 software on it, it will have to be removed before loading unRAID on it.

To learn if the volume label was set you can type:

ls -l /dev/disk/by-label

It will look something like this:

root@Tower:/boot# ls -l /dev/disk/by-label

total 0

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Apr 16 12:18 UNRAID -> ../../sda1

Until you mount the disk at /boot all that is there is an in-memory file system.  If the flash drive was not mounted you basically copied the system log to a file in memory and that is why it was not found when you moved the flash drive to the MAC.

ok -- glad we are on the right track however new issue when i run the e2label /dev/sda1 UNRAID command i get

"bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda1 couldnt find valid filesystem superblock"

any ideas?

should i remake the unRaid flash drive and use just UNRAID

Thanks

ok -- glad we are on the right track however new issue when i run the e2label /dev/sda1 UNRAID command i get

"bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda1 couldnt find valid filesystem superblock"

any ideas?

should i remake the unRaid flash drive and use just UNRAID

Thanks

Yes.