6.9.2 - (n00b) Drive unmountable and reporting superblock read failed after installing 2 new drives

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi there,

I've been really excited playing about with my new unraid setup these past few days since moving to it over Christmas, and I just took delivery of a couple of new drives after discovering how the unraid parity drive setup works.  So, I just powered down by box, installed the new drives, then spun everything up again, and very worryingly for me the "main" 4TB drive that's got the bulk of my data on it has shown as unmountable.

It showed as unmountable, so I put the array into maintenance mode and ran a check on it - which returned all OK and told me life was fine.  So then I started the array again, and it showed as unmountable.  I repeated the process, but now the check's returning:

`Phase 1 - find and verify superblock... superblock read failed, offset 0, size 524288, ag 0, rval -1 fatal error -- Input/output error`

I noticed the drive assignment go from sdc before the installation to sdg afterwards - but from what I can tell in this forum that's a red herring.

My thoughts were:

1) power down & check all the cables are seated properly in case I knocked something

2) try unplugging the new drives & see if it sorts itself out

But I wondered if there's anything else I can do?

Predictably, this would happen to my main data drive on the exact same day the new drive arrives that I was planning to use as a parity drive.

Many thanks!