Adding new encrypted drive

dja
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I'm a little stuck. I replaced a drive that had been failing randomly but IS/WAS working. Parity valid. 

I followed the guide but got stuck on step 9, I never got a checkbox or a prompt to format. 
https://wiki.unraid.net/Replacing_a_Data_Drive

My drives have encryption on them and Unraid was asking for me to set a new key? I put the old key in and started in maintenance mode but nothing happened. I stopped the array and created a new config and re-assigned all the drives as they were. (I have 2 parity drives) NOW- I'm not sure what to do as it is warning that the parity will be re-written if I start the array. I obviously don't want that since I need to rebuild the new drive. Can I start with the "parity already valid" option and things will rebuild the new drive? 

zeus-diagnostics-20220114-1252.zip

Edited by dja
Additional info
  • Solution
1 hour ago, dja said:

Can I start with the "parity already valid" option and things will rebuild the new drive?

Not sure why you did a new config, that's not used to rebuild drives, starting the array in maintenance mode won't auto-start the rebuild but you could click on "sync" or just start in normal mode, for the encryption key you'd need to use the existing one.

Now, and if parity is still valid you can do this (I never used encryption so not sure when it will ask for the key, but when it does use the old one):

-You already did a new config so we continue after that

-Check all assignments and assign any missing disk(s) if needed, including the new disk you want to rebuild, replacement disk should be same size or larger than the old one
-IMPORTANT - Check both "parity is already valid" and "maintenance mode" and start the array (note that the GUI will still show that data on parity disk(s) will be overwritten, this is normal as it doesn't account for the checkbox, but it won't be as long as it's checked)
-Stop array
-Unassign the disk you want to rebuild
-Start array (in normal mode now), ideally the emulated disk will now mount and contents look correct, if it doesn't you should run a filesystem check on the emulated disk
-If the emulated disk mounts and contents look correct stop the array
-Re-assign the disk to rebuild and start array to begin.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

-If the emulated disk mounts and contents look correct stop the array
-Re-assign the disk to rebuild and start array to begin.

Thank you!!! That did the trick.

This is odd though, I don't think I messed this up initially. When I started the system up after adding the swapped drive all I had was a maintenance mode option to start along with setting the encryption key. (2 fields, one was to confirm) 

I did mis-quote the directions- on step 9 it says- "Put a check in the Yes, I'm sure checkbox (next to the information indicating the drive will be rebuilt)," I never received that option which is why I did the new config route after trying maintenance mode.  (It didn't say format) 

Why did it ask for the encryption key to be set again? I had changed nothing at this point but reset the server/swapped a drive. Was the system decrypted at this point, by just removing a drive?  Would it have been corrupted if I had entered a new key? 

7 minutes ago, dja said:

When I started the system up after adding the swapped drive all I had was a maintenance mode option to start along with setting the encryption key. (2 fields, one was to confirm) 

Maintenance mode option is always there, but you don't need to check it, it's mostly used for file system repair, asking for the new key id kind of confusing, I believe it's normal with Unraid and encrypted drives, but you just need to enter the old key.

10 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Maintenance mode option is always there, but you don't need to check it, it's mostly used for file system repair, asking for the new key id kind of confusing, I believe it's normal with Unraid and encrypted drives, but you just need to enter the old key.

That makes sense, but the only way for me to get the array started was to check that. It was greyed out. For some reason the normal start was not available. Just the new key fields and maintenance mode. 

On 1/15/2022 at 2:46 AM, JorgeB said:

Because it was asking for the key, not maintenance mode.

Not to argue or belabor the point-  I REALLY appreciate your assistance, but I did enter the key.  (twice) Start was not available before and after entering it.  I tried re-entering it, nadda. The only option I had to get start enabled was clicking maintenance mode. I'm wondering if there isn't a bug here, something related to replacing a drive on a encrypted system.  At the very least, the prompt to enter a new key should be tweaked since I wasn't attempting to do that. 

My rebuild of the drive finished early this morning and all went well, so I'm happy. I did notice the /user share went away about 4 hours in. I've seen that before though. /user0 was still there however.