Constant Disabled disks

Go to solution Solved by Squid,

I am constantly getting disabled disk's I suspect there may be an issue with my HBA card "NetApp PM8003 Sierra 111-00341+B0 4-Port" as it was no longer supported and an individual on the forums created a custom implementation to get it working again. The drives continue to fail even though most are brand new/only days old and got through the clearing process without any errors, i am constantly having to shut the the server, remove the drive or drives, start up the server, have it recognize the drives are there via unassigned devices than do a rebuild to the array. Can someone tell me what i am missing here ? i have attached my diagnostics to help with the issue

tower-diagnostics-20220115-1525.zip

24 minutes ago, itimpi said:

It could be the card.   Another possibility is unreliable power, particularly if you are using splitters as that can cause intermittent connection issues due to vibrations.

I have the server plugged into an "APC UPS 1500VA Battery Backup Surge Protector, BR1500G Backup Battery Power Supply with AVR"  as well as my personal rig. nothing else seems to be experiencing errors of any kind. im so lost

• Solution

Quick google search said to avoid the card if possible, but what @itimpi was referring to was the internal power connections coming from the powersupply.  All too often people don't consider that every molex splitter is 

• Another point of failure
  • terrible quality to begin with, regardless if you paid $1 or $20 for them

And also quite often do not consider the power draw on individual rails coming from the power supply vs the amount of components plugged into them

Another possibility depending upon how you're connecting the drives is the SATA connected to the drives.  Reseat.

Not saying that any of this is your particular problem.

5 minutes ago, Squid said:

Quick google search said to avoid the card if possible, but what @itimpi was referring to was the internal power connections coming from the powersupply.  All too often people don't consider that every molex splitter is 

And also quite often do not consider the power draw on individual rails coming from the power supply vs the amount of components plugged into them

Another possibility depending upon how you're connecting the drives is the SATA connected to the drives.  Reseat.

all the internal drives are connected via a raid card a "LSI 9210-8i 6Gbps SAS SATA 8 Ports HBA PCI-E RAID Controller Card" none of the drives connected to it have failed lately its only been drives that are connected to the disk shelf which has been rock solid for over a year. the drives that keep failing are the ones that are connected via the diskshelf and thats only connected to server via the HBA, i think im gonna change the card since you say its best to avoid it. If nothing else it removes a point of failure.

On 1/15/2022 at 4:39 PM, Squid said:

Changing the card seems to have done the trick, have not have one drive fail when at least 3 or 4 would have by now. I would love to know what resource you used to determine the netapp card is of bad quality