Controlling Fans Based on HDD Temp

DancingShinryu

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics @ 3900 MHz

Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI)

Noctura PWM 4 Pin fans with built in fan hub wirh Meshify 2 Case.

Running Kernal: Linux 5.10.28-Unraid x86_64

UNRAID Version: Version 6.9.2

I am trying to set the system up so it will adjust the fans based on the HDD temperatures. This seems a bit more complicated than I originally thought. I installed the Dynamix System Auto Fan plugin and the Nuvoton NCT6687 Driver but the Controller still isn't detected. I had another post on hardware section, but it appears to be a dead post. Is there something I am missing or another app/plugin that will help? I can view the temperature perfectly fine and UNRAID notifies me the moment the HDD's temp increases, but it feels like only half a solution if I can't do anything with the fans. I set the Fans in BIOS, but since BIOS doesn't detect HDD temp, I cannot get it to operate as I would like.

This is usually done with a hardware fan controller inside your motherboard or installed separately.  The fan speed is not something controlled by the operating system in Linux (usually...there are specific use cases when a vendor provides a Linux installer for some fan controllers...those are rare and often times are for gaming).

The plugin you installed is just to provide information to the dashboard of unraid (and bottom panel when loading into admin area).  It doesn't provide control for the fans themselves.

Edited by devnet

Is there something I can purchase to add to my system? I'm not that knowledgable about how the system can get the HDD temp to control the fan speed. Can you offer some suggestions? The only time I have seen the HDD temp go up is during a Parity check. Generally the HDD stays within 30-40 degrees Celcius on a warm day. Ive seen it go up to 47 degrees during Parity Check. Thanks

11 minutes ago, DancingShinryu said:

Is there something I can purchase to add to my system? I'm not that knowledgable about how the system can get the HDD temp to control the fan speed. Can you offer some suggestions? The only time I have seen the HDD temp go up is during a Parity check. Generally the HDD stays within 30-40 degrees Celcius on a warm day. Ive seen it go up to 47 degrees during Parity Check. Thanks

Plenty of options for hardware fan controllers but I don't think you need one.  Keep in mind that you set these items in BIOS for profiles...and generally, fans will increase their speed based on temperature automagically.

I can tell you what I did to reduce my HD temperature.  I bought a new case...a Fractal Design Node 804...this case splits the motherboard/CPU/GPU from the Hard disks.  I then put in a bunch of HUGE fans...one pushes, one pulls...on the hard drive side.  This causes all my air flow in the hard disk section to be segmented away from the CPU side....all of my disks dropped about 10 degrees.

Larger fans (120mm or 140mm) push a bit more air at lower RPM's and in my case, it reduced the noise level of the server while dropping the temperature.  I've never really had to worry about using a fan controller (hardware) outside of a gaming system...so if you're having issues, you should rethink your fan positions in your case.

More than happy to help you should you need assistance with fan placement or recommendations.  I don't think you need a fan controller...just better fan placement.

Edited by devnet
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, DancingShinryu said:

Thank you for your swift reply. I have messaged Fractal with the information and hopefully they can advise me on a part I can get as an addition. I currently have 3x 140 mm fans pulling air into the drive area. Up top, I have 2 x 120 mm pulling air down ontop the HDD and the last as the rear exhaust.

keep in mind, if you have 3 fans pulling...you might need at least one of them to PUSH.  That's the ticket is getting enough to pull and enough to push to have good air exchange in the case.

Here is a Youtube video of a channel I trust that talks about thermals and fan placement for your case: 

9 hours ago, DancingShinryu said:

I am trying to set the system up so it will adjust the fans based on the HDD temperatures. This seems a bit more complicated than I originally thought. I installed the Dynamix System Auto Fan plugin and the Nuvoton NCT6687 Driver but the Controller still isn't detected.

I traveled down this rabbit hole last year, when I set up my server.

The main issue (especially for Ryzen systems) is that there are a number of different models of the Super I/O chips used on motherboards by the different MB vendors.  The documentation for these chips either is incomplete, or non-existent, making it a frustrating headache for folks who try to write Linux drivers for them.  Enough so, that the few who would try have eventually just abandoned their efforts.

There are work around solutions that have been offered, but the risk is if they don't work correctly, it is possible for all of your fans to stop running.  So for me, it was not worth the effort.

Best solution is to allow your motherboard BIOS to control your fans.  For drive (and general case) cooling, the basic rule of thumb is to blow air onto drives where you can, and have at least one fan exhausting heat from the case (near top of case, as heat rises).  I set these fans to run at a constant speed, where the drives stay a comfortable temperature.

I usually like to find the most eloquent solution, but this is the most stable compromise I was willing to live with.

I did find this article, but the command doesn’t work from the beginning. This was the best thing that Fractal was able to provide me. I was told one of those fan speed knob devices might be better. I think they called it a fan curve. But I might just set the fan in the bios to run at 65% or 70% and be happy with the sound. Who needs the silent when it’s a server anyway. I have mine in the Study, where my gaming computer is. So it ain’t like it’s going to keep me up all night. Is it bad for the fans to be running at 70% constantly? 

https://kmwoley.com/blog/controlling-case-fans-based-on-hard-drive-temperature/

Edited by DancingShinryu
Link added
On 1/17/2022 at 2:14 AM, ConnerVT said:

I traveled down this rabbit hole last year, when I set up my server.

The main issue (especially for Ryzen systems) is that there are a number of different models of the Super I/O chips used on motherboards by the different MB vendors.  The documentation for these chips either is incomplete, or non-existent, making it a frustrating headache for folks who try to write Linux drivers for them.  Enough so, that the few who would try have eventually just abandoned their efforts.

There are work around solutions that have been offered, but the risk is if they don't work correctly, it is possible for all of your fans to stop running.  So for me, it was not worth the effort.

Best solution is to allow your motherboard BIOS to control your fans.  For drive (and general case) cooling, the basic rule of thumb is to blow air onto drives where you can, and have at least one fan exhausting heat from the case (near top of case, as heat rises).  I set these fans to run at a constant speed, where the drives stay a comfortable temperature.

I usually like to find the most eloquent solution, but this is the most stable compromise I was willing to live with.

I found this https://www.amazon.com.au/EZDIY-FAB-Moonlight-10-Port-Motherboard-Computer/dp/B081SWGD5Y/ref=sr_1_5?crid=KRAKU5NYZIWT&keywords=remote%2Bcontrol%2Bpc%2Bfan%2Bspeed&qid=1642512873&sprefix=remote%2Bcontrol%2Bpc%2Bfan%2Bspeed%2Caps%2C214&sr=8-5&th=1

It may not be the best solution and it may have unnecessary RGB, but it allows me to control the fans. The only annoying thing is that I need to manually adjust it, but I'm happy to do that. This looks like the next best thing. If you know when the period is that your HDD will increase, then you can plan for it. 

Complete overkill, in my opinion.

Fans are designed to run 24/7/365.  The major reason to run fans less than 100% is to reduce noise. 

The easiest thing to do is run the fans, from a motherboard header, at a fixed speed (say start at 50%).  If that keeps the drives at reasonable temp, try running a (non-correcting) parity check for about an hour.  If the drives get warmer than you like, bump up the fan speed another 10% or so.  Then try again (once drives have cooled back down).

Unless you are seeing very high temps, or you are needing to manage server noise, I would spend too much money or time on it.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 11:04 PM, devnet said:

This is usually done with a hardware fan controller inside your motherboard or installed separately.  The fan speed is not something controlled by the operating system in Linux (usually...there are specific use cases when a vendor provides a Linux installer for some fan controllers...those are rare and often times are for gaming).

The plugin you installed is just to provide information to the dashboard of unraid (and bottom panel when loading into admin area).  It doesn't provide control for the fans themselves.

Are you sure about this? because I can control my fans based on HDD temperature just fine with that plugin

1 hour ago, arturovf said:

Are you sure about this? because I can control my fans based on HDD temperature just fine with that plugin

Same, Dynamix Auto Fan Control is great at controlling based on HDD temp, as long as everything is detected properly.

Dynamix System Temperature is the temp monitor he seems to be describing.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DancingShinryu said:

If I could just get the system to recognise the motherboard controller, it would save much hassles. 

I know the problem is sensors are not getting detected, but stating that linux can't control fans and that the plugin is only to provide info to the dashboard is just spreading false info, and discouraging other users.  I have an Intel board and it was easy to get it done and even when I upgraded to a newer MB they continued working just fine.

Edited by arturovf
8 hours ago, arturovf said:

I know the problem is sensors are not getting detected, but stating that linux can't control fans and that the plugin is only to provide info to the dashboard is just spreading false info, and discouraging other users.  I have an Intel board and it was easy to get it done and even when I upgraded to a newer MB they continued working just fine.

Who exactly is spreading false info and I never once said the plug-in doesn’t work. I explained how it affects me, so before you tell someone  off for spreading false information, get the facts correct and quote the specific comment. Me stating “I just need to get the system to recognise the fan controller” does not indicate that the app does not work. Nor is it spreading false information. 

Edited by DancingShinryu
Correction
7 hours ago, DancingShinryu said:

Who exactly is spreading false info and I never once said the plug-in doesn’t work. I explained how it affects me, so before you tell someone  off for spreading false information, get the facts correct and quote the specific comment. Me stating “I just need to get the system to recognise the fan controller” does not indicate that the app does not work. Nor is it spreading false information. 

Did I said it was you? I didn't, if you feel like I said that to you I apologize I wasn't referring to you, I did quote the post early in my first post.

12 minutes ago, arturovf said:

Did I said it was you? I didn't, if you feel like I said that to you I apologize I wasn't referring to you, I did quote the post early in my first post.

My apologies. I saw your quoting me and I thought it was directed at me. I'll delete that post because I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I'm so sorry, I'm so new to forums. I usually work directly with people.

• Like 1