Another expand beyond the case thread ...

wolferl99

Hi,

as my trusted Asrock E3C224D4I-14S MoBo died, I had to replace it. Went with a Asrock E3C246D4U (CPU Intel Xeon E-2124). I have 12 drives in a  Fractal Design Node 804 case, 8 in the internal cages plus 4 in an additional cage in the front.

Two problems with the 246 board: a) it doesnt have the 2 onboard mini SAS connections and b) because the CPU is in the different place I can no longer place the additional drive cage in the case. For the time being I am using a AOC-SASLP-MV8 to at least keep the system up albeit slowly.

My plan is to get a Silverstone TS431S put the 4 drives in and connect via SAS. Thankfully the new board has 3 PCI E slots x4, x8, x16 (currently running the MV8 in the X4 slot).

As the MV8 doesnt really have the bandwith (or better the X4 aspect) to run 4 modern drives at speed, I no longer want to use that. Having the x16 slot seemed like the best option. get a x16 card with 1 external and 2 internal SAS connection, problem solved. But, these either dont exist or only it very fancy versions with way more ports for way more money.

Having the luxury of multiple PCIE slots my plan now is:

1. get one x8 card with 2 internal SAS connections (run in x16 slot)

2. get another x8 card with 1 external SAS connection (run in x8 slot)

3. make sure these are HBA not RAID cards (is that as simple as finding a card that doesnt have RAID in the name?)

Would like feedback. silly idea? should work? any advice on cards to get? (I am aware of the 8087/8088 cable situation)

4 hours ago, wolferl99 said:

My plan is to get a Silverstone TS431S put the 4 drives in and connect via SAS.

If your disk is SATA, then the signaling in external path was SATA instead SAS, this will limit the allowable cable length, best was add SAS expander in external enclosure, so only last mile was SATA.

make sure these are HBA not RAID cards (is that as simple as finding a card that doesnt have RAID in the name?)

9211, 9207

silly idea?

May be, because not cost effective only for 4 external disk, suggest change other case for 12 disks.

Edited by Vr2Io
17 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

If your disk is SATA, then the signaling in external path was SATA instead SAS, this will limit the allowable cable length, best was add SAS expander in external enclosure, so only last mile was SATA.

9211, 9207

May be, because not cost effective only for 4 external disk, suggest change other case for 12 disks.

thanks for the info. the TS431S comes with an expander, thats why I need SAS-SAS between it and my case.

even if I put all drives into a new case, I still need new adapter cards though (2 X8 ones as x16 ones dont seem to be around much), so it really comes down to new case vs ext drive case.

Edited by wolferl99

with an expander,

Miss that.

so it really comes down to new case vs ext drive case.

Yes.

Or use one HBA and onboard SATA.

Use external enclosure also benefit for avoid all disk burn out by same PSU if it fire all stuff.

Edited by Vr2Io