Changing 2 1-TB SSD drives for the cache pool (2TB) to raid 1 cache drive with 1TB capacity

Go to solution Solved by ChatNoir,

Greetings friends! I have a question concerning my cache drive which is currently a 2TB capacity with 2 1TB SSD drives formatted with BTRFS. When I setup Unraid last year I set the 2 drives up as a raid 1 cache drive with 1TB of usable space. I did something during my learning phase and ended up with one 2TB drive as my cache drive. Everything is working great, and I have no issues, but I would like the cache drive to be mirrored as I really will never need 2TB of space and figured having a second copy would be a good thing in case one fails. My question is, what is the simplest way to do this? Move the data from the cache drive off to a USB backup drive, remove the cache pool and re-add it as a raid 1 BTRFS formatted pool and then copy the data back to it? Was worried about my docker containers mainly as I have many and the appdata folder is on the cache pool and curious as to what steps I should take when I do this. 896235035_Screenshot2022-01-17192743.thumb.png.66ef120dcff555801b681a3dd379d0a3.png1992394187_Screenshot2022-01-17192806.thumb.png.a1c6c2bf48cec8cfe3472950b96aec38.png

• Solution

It should be quite simple:

• disable Docker and VM services in Settings (maybe optional, not sure)
  • access the pool configuration by clicking on "cache"
  • run a scrub on the Pool to be sure to start with something clean (optional)
  • In the "Balance" section, select the RAID profile you desire (RAID1 for you)
  • and click "Balance"
  • Enable the services you disabled earlier

I do not think it is even required to disable Docker and VM services in Settings (to be confirmed by users with more experience in the matter). In any case, if it was for me, I'd do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

It should be quite simple:

• disable Docker and VM services in Settings (maybe optional, not sure)
  • access the pool configuration by clicking on "cache"
  • run a scrub on the Pool to be sure to start with something clean (optional)
  • In the "Balance" section, select the RAID profile you desire (RAID1 for you)
  • and click "Balance"
  • Enable the services you disabled earlier

I do not think it is even required to disable Docker and VM services in Settings (to be confirmed by users with more experience in the matter). In any case, if it was for me, I'd do it.

I can't believe it is that easy! :) 

So unraid will continue to function normal through this process? About how long should I expect it to take?

Thanks for this info....I will try this later today!

11 minutes ago, bclinton said:

So unraid will continue to function normal through this process?

Looks like if from Jorge's answer.

11 minutes ago, bclinton said:

About how long should I expect it to take?

It will probably depend on the amount of data on the pool. Good idea to move what is not needed before I guess. Jorge might have a better idea of the time it takes.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ChatNoir said:

Looks like if from Jorge's answer.

It will probably depend on the amount of data on the pool. Good idea to move what is not needed before I guess. Jorge might have a better idea of the time it takes.

It is rebalancing now. Looks like it will take a little while. I am at 63% left and slowly incrementing with 360 gigs to deal with. Fingers crossed :)