Cannot get Hitachi 2T drive to show up

I just bought the Hitachi 2T H3D20003254S, installed in mu box and could not get it to show up. I returned it and still does not show up.  I tried it on a windows machine and it works fine. 

After loading unmenu it shows up but as new with no ID

[Raw Disk] -- sdg Unknown 2T 84 0 2T * — sm hd sy sh

I have included the syslog

Is anyone else having problems with this drive?

syslog-2011-04-23.zip

I just bought the Hitachi 2T H3D20003254S, installed in mu box and could not get it to show up. I returned it and still does not show up.  I tried it on a windows machine and it works fine. 

After loading unmenu it shows up but as new with no ID

[Raw Disk] -- sdg Unknown 2T 84 0 2T * — sm hd sy sh

I have included the syslog

Is anyone else having problems with this drive?

It will not show up in unRAID until you stop the array and use the "'devices" page to assign it to a slot in the array.

here are the specs

4.7 pro

P5B-VM-DO

2G memory

Super Micro 8 port sas/sata

total 8 drives Sata, 1 drive ide

have had server for at least four years running

I do stop the array to add device but it is not on the list.

I would also think it is a bad drive or cable but as I mentioned before I have changed the cable, I have already replaced the drive with a new one, I know the drive works because I have tried on a windows pc.

I have a bunch of Hitachi 2 TB drives and never had a problem, with the same motherboard and controller.

Although the disk could be malfunctioning, this is a very peculiar way for a bad drive to present.

Are you sure that the disk model you posted is correct?  (H3D20003254S)  I think all Hitachi's start with "HDS".  I don't have any that even remotely resemble that, and Google turns up next to nothing.

Assuming you don't have some disk from Mars, my guess would be a loose cable.

If you still have it in your box, try running this command:

ls -l /dev/disk/by-id

I do stop the array to add device but it is not on the list.

you must reboot after physically adding the disk.  unRAID does not detect drives you just plug in while it is running.  (Well, it does, but does not add them to the list of available drives in anything before 5.0beta6a.)

bjp999 you are right the model number is HDS5C3020AlA632. The other number I posted before was from the packaging  under p/n.

It is already out of the box and I am going to ship it back tomorrow.

Joel I had rebooted the box many times trying to get it to work, I tried everything.  It just seems weird that I had same problem with two drives back to back.

Archived