Recover data from "Unmountable: Invalid partition format"?

Hi all,

My UnRAID server has been gathering dust in the corner ever since I thought I lost 2 disks to physical failure. After being bored one night I plugged up what I thought the running config was and my HBA only dropped 1 drive..... I saw hope! 

Array is mounted and everything, and I can access data that's on the sole drive that's operational (aside from the parity disk).... Hope dwindles...

However, I've two disks that it's placed into the array but marked them as "Unmountable: to invalid partition layout" and wants to format them. It states their FS type as XFS in the dashboard

Now I'm not familiar with xfs to tackle this solo... My suspicion is the HBA (or my stupidity controlling the HBA) may have messed with them to form Virtual Disk Groups and then back to "pass through", because the drives I'd purchased 2nd hand to resolve the initial disk issues were DOA unbeknownst to me at the time. So stupidly I fiddled at the HBA level to try and rectify (from very foggy memories). 

I thought I'd kick off a parity read check just now, and interestingly it appears to be reading from these drives despite them not being mounted (based on "Reads" from "Main" dashboard). 

TLDR; Could anyone suggest how to go about looking into potentially recovering the data that is on these ("Unmountable: Invalid partition layout" according to unRAID) drives, as sure enough its all the replaceable media that survived! 

UnRAID 4.19.107

5 disk array, 1 parity (working), 1 storage (working), 1 storage (failed/disconnected), 2 storage "Unmountable" 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it's just pointing me to a link for something similar or a tool that I need to study the man pages of that might help dig into things further. 

Thanks in advance, 

Nasha

Currently they don't show under UD, as unraid sees them as part of the existing array... Do you suggest I remove them from the array in order to have them show up in UD?

I'm currently running a parity read check, as I thought this may have some benefit. Should I cancel this to perform the above, or await its completion (Eta 14hrs).

Thanks for your help! 

Nasha

On 1/21/2022 at 3:01 AM, trurl said:

attach diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread

I was waiting for the parity read check to complete before I did this, but it's 2 days in with about 2 days remaining. 

I've kicked off a diagnostics collection and so far I've been waiting 15min for it to complete. Would this be considered normal for a system in my shape? (ie. Degraded array, parity check in progress)? 

Dashboard shows 8 cores pegged at 100% and it doesn't drop from that. So it's either really busy, or stuck running around in circles! 

Hopefully it finishes sometime soon before my laptop battery dies, otherwise I'll have to start it again on my phone 😣

2 minutes ago, Nasha said:

The /var/log tempfs partition had hit 100%, probably due to the number of parity errors.

More likely because you've got atop being installed via NerdPack.  It's rather notorious

It actually looks like you've got NerdPack installing everything available within it.  Using the packages within NerdPack isn't particularly recommended unless you know exactly what you want and why.

20 minutes ago, Squid said:

More likely because you've got atop being installed via NerdPack.  It's rather notorious

It actually looks like you've got NerdPack installing everything available within it.  Using the packages within NerdPack isn't particularly recommended unless you know exactly what you want and why.

I was using atop at the time to see what was going on... But I didn't initiate an installation of any sort other than updating CA. I installed nerd pack for a certain set of tools - generally I know what I'm doing, but this issue is out of my league. 

Does this impact my initial problem in any manner? Is it auto-updating since the last power up? Should I kill it? 

EDIT: Uninstalled nerdpack until such time as I find I need it again

Edited by Nasha
On 1/24/2022 at 2:15 AM, trurl said:

FYI for the future.

Better to get diagnostics as soon as they are asked for so we can see what the current situation is. Instead of waiting till things deteriorate to the point that you can no longer get diagnostics.

I tried.... At which point I waited over an hour for diagnostics to be generated and they still weren't done. So I rebooted and did it immediately. The read check was started prior to this post, so as far as I'm concerned there's nothing more I could have done to please you. Nothing has deteriorated any further than since my OP, the diags are the current situation. My OP problem still exists, and all I've had is people criticise my actions unrelated to assisting with the OP. Nothing has changed

Edited by Nasha

Thinking about it, I believe there were some changes to UD and it might not allow mounting a former array device like that, if it doesn't leave them assigned and try to mount them manually read-only with the array stopped, like so:

mkdir /x
mount -v -o ro /dev/sdX1 /x

Replace X with correct disk letter, if the disk mounts browse /x to check contents, if it doesn't post the output of the mount command.

In the end to unmount use:

umount /x