GSuite/Google Apps/Google Workspace legacy free-tier shutting down May 1

kaiguy

Not storage related, but this community is great and full of resourceful and like-minded folks, so figured I'd check in here.

I have been using the legacy free G Suite (Google Apps) for my personal email for over a decade. I don't use much else with it (Drive, Calendars, and Contacts, but those are easy enough to migrate), but losing free email with my personal domains is going to bite. I don't mind paying per se, but just wanting something commensurate with my usage (pretty much just email, but I would like more than 15G of storage).

I see a few possible solutions, but all with some drawbacks:

1. I am heavily invested in the Apple Ecosystem, so I can use my personal domain with iCloud email. I've been reading there are some quirks, so I'm probably going to use this as a last resort.
  2. Pay for Google. Probably not an option for me since they're burning so many people who have purchases associated with their free accounts, which forces them to pay or lose it (e.g., Google Play).
  3. Microsoft 365 or Exchange Online. Can't use the family plan since it would force me to move my domains to GoDaddy (no way) and no aliases, so I'm looking at something in the $8-12.50/mo range for business plans.

I helped a friend's small business setup a free account when I did, and so they now have to figure out a small business solution as well. Thinking for them they should just do the hosted Exchange option...

Is anyone else facing this? What are your plans for email moving forward? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Google have confirmed they will provide limited migration options to a 'no-cost option' (likely a Gmail account) sometime before May.

Upgrade from G Suite legacy free edition - Google Workspace Admin Help

I'm hoping they will allow you to merge with an existing Gmail account - but if not, it may create a 'zombie' Google account with your purchases etc stored on it for reference.

Otherwise so long as your domain is managed separately from Google, you can just point it to individual Gmail accounts (or Outlook or whatever).

This won't be a pleasant migration, which is why Google are hoping you'll just pay up. :(  

On 2/1/2022 at 8:39 AM, Alex Hansford said:

Google have confirmed they will provide limited migration options to a 'no-cost option' (likely a Gmail account) sometime before May.

Upgrade from G Suite legacy free edition - Google Workspace Admin Help

I'm hoping they will allow you to merge with an existing Gmail account - but if not, it may create a 'zombie' Google account with your purchases etc stored on it for reference.

Otherwise so long as your domain is managed separately from Google, you can just point it to individual Gmail accounts (or Outlook or whatever).

This won't be a pleasant migration, which is why Google are hoping you'll just pay up. :(  

Make sure you guys fill out the google form on that page so they have an idea of how many people want to keep a free version of their workspace. It's under: 

What if I use G Suite legacy free edition for personal use and don't want to upgrade to a Google Workspace subscription?

• Like 1