Ideal Media Backup

dcruff

Finally got Emby humming along.  I just installed an external USB 14 TB drive for backup.

Is there a preferred App/Plugin for media backup? 

It would be best to have an active sync running so that I don't have to use Krusader and do a manual copy to the external drive.

I'm assuming that any synchronised backup of my media folders would be done outside of the Emby Server.

On 1/21/2022 at 3:54 PM, dcruff said:

Finally got Emby humming along.  I just installed an external USB 14 TB drive for backup.

Is there a preferred App/Plugin for media backup? 

It would be best to have an active sync running so that I don't have to use Krusader and do a manual copy to the external drive.

I'm assuming that any synchronised backup of my media folders would be done outside of the Emby Server.

Thought I had Emby humming.  There always seems to be something else broken with Unraid.  I'm starting to wonder if Krusader is linked to many of the ailments.  I get crashes when Krusader is running.  I also got an error telling me that "Docker application Krusader has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option"

Why is it than nothing ever works right without something else needing to be changed?

I guess the real question is, now that I have all of my media on the array - What is the best tool to use to copy/backup my media files to an external USB drive?

56 minutes ago, dcruff said:

What is the best tool to use to copy/backup my media files to an external USB drive?

Unassigned Devices backup script.  I modified the script in the linked post to meet my share backup needs.  As soon as I plug in my external USB backup drive, the UD backup script runs automatically and backs up any new/changed files from the four shares I included in the script to the external USB drive.

1 hour ago, dcruff said:

"Docker application Krusader has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option"

I use Dolphin instead of Krusader but the concept is similar.  If you are passing a UD path to the docker container, it should be mounted in R/W Slave mode to avoid potential access issues.  In this example it is /mnt which is not a UD path, but you get the idea.

image.png.be3a77e5ba0c160c435b962450e2d539.png

Edited by Hoopster

I'm still trying to find a work around where I don't have to be too familiar with linux command-line.  Right now I have access to my Array through a drive mapping on my Windows computer (this one).  Is there a way to also map a drive to an unassigned device, such as my external 14 TB USB-connected drive (dev 1)?  Then I could at least copy files easily through Windows from my Array to my backup external USB drive?

5 hours ago, dcruff said:

I'm still trying to find a work around where I don't have to be too familiar with linux command-line

The script in the UD thread works pretty much as is and runs automatically when you set it as the script to run when the UD device is mounted.  The only thing I did to it was to edit the script in a text editor and add three additional shares to be backed up.  You don't do anything on the command line.

My 14TB backup drive is not always attached to the server, so it runs runs when the device is plugged in and mounted.

5 hours ago, dcruff said:

Is there a way to also map a drive to an unassigned device

In the UD settings, you can share the device as if it were an unRAID user share.  It then shows up in Windows as a share under your server in Networks.  You could then map a drive to it if you wish.

Here are my settings for the "WD_Blue" UD device as an example.  I have no script associated with this one as it is mounted permanently but this would be where you set the script to run if you want to.

image.png.065a614545f64f53d82a427c7b532f5e.png

Edited by Hoopster