(SOLVED) Existing array: 2 x Unmountable disks present - bad primary superblock - bad sector size

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Hello.

Ive been running Unraid for a good 6 months now with no issues.

I have 4 disks (1 Parity HDD and 3 HDD). The server and array have been running for 6 months with no issues. I mainly use Plex.

Today I go to transfer some files with Filezilla, and find I cannot connect. After poking around, I see that Disk 2 and DIsk 3 are online, but each show the error - "Unmountable disks present"

Following THIS GUIDE I stopped the array and started in maintenance mode. I then ran the "Check Filesystem Status" tests. The result of these tests showed -

xfs_repair status:  Phase 1 - find and verify superblock... bad primary superblock - bad sector size !!! attempting to find secondary superblock... .found candidate secondary superblock... verified secondary superblock... would write modified primary superblock Primary superblock would have been modified. Cannot proceed further in no_modify mode. Exiting now.

Any ideas how I resolve this? Can I recover the data on each drive?

Edited by plainfaced
(SOLVED)
4 minutes ago, plainfaced said:

OK ran Check Filesystem Status without -n on both disks.

Each print a whole lot of logs, ending with - "Please reset with mount -o sunit=,swidth= if necessary"

Im not sure how to action that sorry? Should I attempt to start the array normally again?

OK. I done this because im an impatient cowboy, and it worked

Stopped array in maintenance mode > Started array. Disk spin up fine

:)

Just to clarify, all I had to do was 1, read and understand this line "Cannot proceed further in no_modify mode", running the actual fix.. and that fixed the issue?

Can anyone provide a simple exaplanation of what may have gone wrong, and what the Check Filesystem test does to rectify the issue?

Edited by plainfaced
  • plainfaced changed the title to (SOLVED) Existing array: 2 x Unmountable disks present - bad primary superblock - bad sector size

I had something like this happen, in my case it was caused by my pci/e sata card disappearing and taking the drives with it.  I had 3 of my 5 array disks on that card.

I ran the fixes you did and only lost one share, had to restore from a second backup.  Well, I shouldn't say 'lost' the files were put in a 'lost and found' directory but without proper names so they were useless (my sons steam games, was just 100's of random files)  Not unraid's fault.  Good reason to always have at least a second backup.

Not sure if you're using an add in card.

Not sure if anyone will come back after I marked this as solved.. However

While running the 'Check Filesystem' rectified the error, and fix the two drives. I had found not long after that a good number of files from my Plex library were missing. After some digging around on Google and this forum, I found that all the data was in a directory 'Lost and Found'

Unfortunately its not only movies and TV shows.. But its thousands of backed up photos and other files I was storing on Unraid..

Im currently downloading the whole directory onto my local machine.. As far as I can see its 206GB worth.. and over the next few days... weeks, I will be going over each of the folders, pushing them back up to where they belong... Obviously not the backed up files, as I have them locally.

See you in a year when IM done :)

3 minutes ago, plainfaced said:

Not sure if anyone will come back after I marked this as solved.. However

While running the 'Check Filesystem' rectified the error, and fix the two drives. I had found not long after that a good number of files from my Plex library were missing. After some digging around on Google and this forum, I found that all the data was in a directory 'Lost and Found'

Unfortunately its not only movies and TV shows.. But its thousands of backed up photos and other files I was storing on Unraid..

Im currently downloading the whole directory onto my local machine.. As far as I can see its 206GB worth.. and over the next few days... weeks, I will be going over each of the folders, pushing them back up to where they belong... Obviously not the backed up files, as I have them locally.

See you in a year when IM done :)

You always need backups of anything important just for this type of issue.

The Linux 'files' command can be useful if you want to put the effort into sorting out the Lost+Found folder (as opposed to restoring from backups) as it will at least give you the content type of files whose names were lost.