Completed(?) first time build

Have been building PCs for over a decade for myself, family and friends.  Have my gaming PC, laptop, Shield TV and Tablet.  Wanted to consolidate my storage solution since I use my devices fairly evenly for one reason or another.  Started looking for a solution and got an old QNAP but after discovering Plex, realized it's CPU did not meet my needs now and for future tinkering.   Work in IT and do have access to do things like take home old decommissioned enterprise servers but didn't want something like that screaming in my little bungalow style house.  

Decided to upgrade my PC a couple years ago and re-purpose parts from other much older builds that were lying around once I came across Unraid and coming across nice deals in the local ads.

OS at time of building: Unraid6.8, Currently 6.9.2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700x

GPU: Gigabyte 1660TI

Motherboard: Gigabyte x470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi

RAM: Samsung 2x8GB 2666Mhz Multi-bit ECC Unbuffered RAM

Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D

Drive Cage(s): Rosewill 3 x 5.25-Inch to 4 x 3.5-Inch Hot-swap, ICY DOCK 4x2.5 SSD to 5.25 Drive Bay Hot Swap, 

Power Supply: Corsair HX850W

SATA Expansion Card(s): Dell 9211-8I flashed in IT Mode

Cables: 2xSAS to SATAIII breakout cables, 6 run of the mill SATAIII cables purchased over the years

Fans: 6xCorsair ML120, 1xCorsair ML140

Parity Drive: WD Red 10TB

Data Drives: 7xWD Red 10TB

Cache Drive: 2xWD Blue 500GB SSDs in RAID1

Total Drive Capacity: 14 drives.

Primary Use: File storage, Plex, gaming servers, crypto mining

Likes: Quiet, clean look, meets power user requirements and then some

Dislikes: Heavy as hell, especially filled with drives so created a little coaster for it since I don't have the mean to put casters on the case itself

Future Plans: Planning to eventually add in second parity and what to do with the other two SSD bays, upgrade CPU fan, more RAM to spin up a few virtual machines and dockers.  Grab another UPS dedicated to the server (splitting my current one between my main PC and server).  Purchase AMD APU and sell off GPU if support gets better for it, mainly Plex transcoding and efficiency.  Not sure if I'll ever need more than 1gbit networking for my needs but I'm open to upgrading to 2.5gbit if budget has room next year.

xlVpVPj.jpeg

Q4UFDFr.jpeg

3hnLil8.jpeg

IwCHQgL.jpeg

9S89njt.jpeg

Got a motherboard USB port to female USB port adapter to keep the OS USB stick inside and not have it sticking out.  I like seeing only two cables plugged into it, power and network.  Had no idea what to do with the last 5.25 bay so now it just houses things specific like the cases hard drive rails.  Was previously housing my old Blu-Ray burner and got it working with a couple dockers for ripping and burning but very rarely used it.

I'm a lurker and this community and posts have helped me build a rock solid server with maybe a few days of downtime a year for just some general maintenance.  So cheers and I look forward to more future updates to Unraid.

Edited by Omegaturk
Formatting
  • Like 1