Reducing Power Consumption On My Server

I have the server in my signature below. The space is very tight in a U Nas 401 case and therefore limited airflow. The cooler fan speeds up and down even when the server is at rest. I only use the server for storing films and nothing more and maybe the 3200g is overkill. The mobo is very overkill! I have been thinking of getting a 3000g, 200ge or 300ge processor to reduce power consumption so that the fan can stop ramping up and down. Or is there a better way to reduce power consumption?

2 hours ago, pras1011 said:

maybe the 3200g is overkill. The mobo is very overkill! I have been thinking of getting a 3000g, 200ge or 300ge processor to reduce power consumption

This almost won't help, you need down grade to something like as v1500b.

Check fan ramp up to what RPM, if you can accept that noise level, then set the fan RPM to this value at BIOS, or fine tune the fan curve.

Edited by Vr2Io
  • 2 weeks later...

Not quite firm with AMD CPUs but have you tried the following:

• Setting the cpu scaling governor to a more power saving strategy (e.g. powersave)?
  • Pinning CPU cores so less of them get used (may be less area to cool - but I could be wrong)
  • Undervolting the CPU
  • Making sure that the iGPU is in a power saving state (for intel & nvidia this means to at least install the GPU drivers and enabling it - e.g. through "nvidia-smi --persistence-mode=1")
  • Reducing other heat producing components and case temperature in your build (e.g. spinning down HDDs, using Gigabit-LAN rather than Multigig - if applicable, increasing case FAN speed)

At what temperature is your CPU currently running? If you've got enough head-room you might get away with just unplugging the fan :D (at your own risk of course...)

Alternatively (don't now how much room you have) you could also think about using a small AIO and lead the cooling outside. could be more efficient than having the cooler near the HDDs and other stuff...