Running passed NVME Linux installation as VM

D4zz4
Go to solution Solved by ghost82,

Hello everybody!

I've been trying to get my Kali Linux installation running as a VM in Unraid.

I have installed a basic installation on a NVME which boots on startup without any problems.(Without Unraid)

But every time I try setting up a VM I get stuck with different issues depending on my settings.

First setup:

image.thumb.png.3c556c78dc378ceb63f8532a34721a69.png

With these setting I get stuck here:

image.png.16b87fdb49b3e23e6ad87c1f3ee5f179.png

And if I try the SeaBIOS

image.thumb.png.fc3c64bc7302d16b172e5edc31ce09bd.png

I get stuck here:

image.png.5bdc3ee849fc603f1f2fd1389d0c7c5f.png

What am I doing wrong?

I appreciate every help I can get.

Thanks in advance peeps

• Solution

First settings are correct: q35+ovmf (you have fs0 on hd).

You need to create a custom entry in ovmf.

Start the vm and press esc to boot into the ovmf bios settings, create a new entry for boot, point it to the efi file, adjust boot order, save and reboot.

Edited by ghost82
  • Thanks 1

Oh man, you are a lifesaver! After a few tries, it worked.

I couldn't enter the bios via the VNC connection because I wasn't fast enough with the ESC button.

So I had to plug in my keyboard directly into the server to get into the boot menu.

From there I did as you said - created a new boot entry and chose the grub.efi file - enter a name for the new boot option (otherwise it wouldn't save) and moved the new option to the first position in the boot order.

Thank you for helping me out. If I somehow can buy you a coffee, just pm me!

13 minutes ago, D4zz4 said:

I couldn't enter the bios via the VNC connection because I wasn't fast enough with the ESC button.

Just for info, when you are in the uefi shell, if you type 'exit' it should reboot the vm without closing the vnc connection, so you don't lose time for opening a new vnc window.

14 minutes ago, D4zz4 said:

From there I did as you said - created a new boot entry and chose the grub.efi file - enter a name for the new boot option (otherwise it wouldn't save) and moved the new option to the first position in the boot order.

Yes, that was exactly what I wanted to write, sorry for not giving a more detailed description.

Not sure why the entry is not automatically detected.

Maybe allow me to ask another question regarding this topic.

After your help, I thought I set up a new installation with encryption and lvm.

After setting up the partitions and installing the system, I went into the boot menu like before, but this time the .efi file did not show up.

It did not show any file system at all.

I only encrypted the root and the swap partitions, not the efi nor the boot partition.

What did I do wrong?

I created them manually because efi and boot partition are too small when created automatically. If the old kernels are not deleted after an update, it can cause some problems I've heard. And resizing later can be difficult. I can retry the installation and see if it works with automated partitioning... I will report back

23 hours ago, ghost82 said:

I have zero experience with encryption/lvm, I don't think the issue is related to this; did you create (manually or automatically) the efi partition and installed grub on it?

I tried it again with automated partitioning - same issue. No file system is showing up.

Now I tried a normal installation again - worked perfectly fine*

12 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

This may help:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/729673/ubuntu-full-disk-encryption-with-encrypted-boot/801394#801394

It's for ubuntu, but it can be adapted for kali.

Witch error you get?

Did you add GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y?

Thank you for the link.

I haven't tried every single one of the suggested steps in the process, but I added the GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y and updated GRUB.

No success so far.

As for your question, I didn't get any error. It shows the same shell on startup and if I go into the BIOS and try to set up the boot-option with the efi-file it shows a blank screen after selecting the device:

1643284411375.thumb.jpg.981d1520d8a70cdd933c164b254176f6.jpg

1643284411370.thumb.jpg.f886c6c96c037571658f8e86d0929fae.jpg

Again, when I boot into this system without unraid it works fine.

44 minutes ago, D4zz4 said:

when I boot into this system without unraid it works fine

This helps, so we know that the setup is correct.

I then suspect is an ovmf bios issue: I don't know what version of ovmf unraid includes, you can try the attached ones, save them somewhere and point the paths in the xml of the vm of OVMF_VARS.fd and OVMF_CODE.fd to these new files.

OVMF_commit-6612ff8-24-12-2021.zip