PSA on SanDisk USBs

SpencerJ

On 1/25/2023 at 9:39 PM, thedutchguy said:

its a 1GB stick with SLC memory. specifically made for industrial use. in practical terms it will never wear out.

But Unraid doesn't wear memory cells down via multiple write/erase cycles.

Therefore I'd think the USB sticks failures in Unraid can not be attributed to that kind of wear.

I'd say the USB drive standard (2.0 v 3.0) makes a bigger difference.

Edited by Lolight
  • 2 weeks later...

I've read the first post and write to disagree. You just need the provisioning tool (MPTool) to be able to touch the firmware. usbdev ru have many and on Chinese sites every version circulation the Internet is shared so for sure it exists out there. I suspect however that those factory tools need 32bit XP and Intel chipset to operate properly. For the American bros who wanna check it - just use Edge and click Transalte to English this is the best translation for other languages.

I would also like to point out that there is no reason why not to open communication channels to the Chinese dudes who make/use/modify these provisioning tools and the controller chip. If you want GUID or whatever it is that you want I think you should tell the factory dudes not Sandisk the corp that does not care about tech.

Edited by GRRRRRRR
  • 1 month later...

I've had 3 Samsung bar plus fail.  I see they are no longer available.

I've had 2 Samsung Fit Plus fail.  I see they are no longer available.

Yes, this is on 5 different machines, so it is not a usb controller problem, unless all Intel mb's gen 6 to gen 12 have issues.

USB is the lowest quality storage on the market, so it's no wonder users have so many issues with media that isn't designed to be plugged in 24hrs.

I really don't mind buying ssd's and putting them in raid 1 even if all that space is wasted, if it means I don't have downtime.  That's the biggest issue, especially when I'm not around.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

For what its worth, I've provisioned another 2 Unraid licences on Sandisk Ultra Flair (USB3.0) with zero problems for last couple of weeks.

image.png.0865e8626dd3945c9558507a7adb152e.png

I had one of those running for 3 years with no issues.  I just replaced it as part of my new server build.

I am now using a Delkin B300 "Industrial" SLC flash drive:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a note on the Kingston Data Traveler SE9 G2 (#2 recommended flash drive in OP). 

I was having flash drive issues and purchased the DTSE9 G2 from the Amazon link in the OP.  It was identified as "SMI USB disk" in Windows and had no GUID so I contacted Kingston.  They asked for pictures and informed me it was a counterfeit flash drive.  Packaging looked real, but the flash drive is fake.

According to Kingston, the DTSE9 G2 was discontinued some time ago so anyone selling it today is likely selling counterfeits.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Thanks 3
2 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Just a note on the Kingston Data Traveler SE9 G2 (#2 recommended flash drive in OP). 

I was having flash drive issues and purchased the DTSE9 G2 from the Amazon link in the OP.  It was identified as "SMI USB disk" in Windows and had no GUID so I contacted Kingston.  They asked for pictures and informed me it was a counterfeit flash drive.  Packaging looked real, but the flash drive is fake.

According to Kingston, the DTSE9 G2 was discontinued some time ago so anyone selling it today is likely selling counterfeits.

thanks. I’ll remove the link. 

On 3/22/2023 at 2:52 PM, Hoopster said:

I was having flash drive issues and purchased the DTSE9 G2 from the Amazon link in the OP.

Was it sold by Amazon or by a third party seller?

Buying directly from Amazon is still considered somewhat safer but still not a sure way to avoid fakes due to product mixing.

2 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Third-party seller. Just clicked on link in OP and did not take note of the seller.  Since Kingston no longer makes this USB drive, Amazon probably just linked to another seller.

Yeah, just checked the link - it's not being sold by Amazon.

All listings are from third party sellers.

I recently had a flash drive scare where I thought my original drive was finally going to die on me. I think it's over 10 years old at the point (4Gb HP). Watched Spaceinvader1's video and found the suggested Kingston and Samsung on Amazon, only to come here after I ordered and received those to see that they are probably counterfeit drives. So, I will be returning both per the suggestions of others. That led me on a search to find a backup for my original drive and I found some 16gb HP drives on sale at Office Depot/Max.  The have a unique GUID and work with Unraid though I had to do a manual install. Also, the website and packaging says it's a 16gb drive, but it shows up in windows as 28.8. They are USB 2.0 drives which I know is prefered. https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/5892874/HP-v150w-USB-20-Flash-Drive/

I am going to boot up one on my test server and see how long it lasts. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, jtech007 said:

That led me on a search to find a backup for my original drive and I found some 16gb HP drives on sale at Office Depot/Max.

That's probably the safest way to get a legit drive.

I wonder if you could check for its "Vendor ID" and "Demanded Current" number, both displayed in the Summary section, by running this little app - https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html

14 hours ago, Lolight said:

That's probably the safest way to get a legit drive.

I wonder if you could check for its "Vendor ID" and "Demanded Current" number, both displayed in the Summary section, by running this little app - https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html

@LolightHere you go:

========================== Summary =========================

Vendor ID : 0x03F0 (HP Inc.)

Product ID : 0x2D40

USB Version : 2.0

Port maximum Speed : High-Speed Device

maximum Speed : High-Speed Device

Connection Speed : High-Speed

Self powered : no

Demanded Current : 300 mA

Used Endpoints : 3

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, jtech007 said:

Demanded Current : 300 mA

Thank you.

"Demanded Current" is on the high side.

My USB 2.0 drives are within the 100-200 mA range.

I don't know if it's really a determining factor, but my 100 mA drives tend to be the ones that run the coolest.

Since I was having issues on one server with it recognizing the UNRAID labelled flash drive, I thought I would try out the HP flash drive linked above by @jtech007 as I have an Office Depot nearby.  It works great and is recognized by the server where all the other flash drives in my possession could not boot into anything >Unraid 6.9.2 on this particular server, even though they worked on my other Unraid server.

I can confirm what was reported previously.  Even though it is labelled as a 16GB flash drive, it is really a 32GB flash drive as it has >28GB after formatting.  It is USB 2.0 and appears to have a unique GUID.

Regarding the Kingston DTSE9 G2 that I reported as counterfeit from Amazon, Amazon rejected my review as "not meeting their guidelines" when all I did was point out Kingston confirmed it was counterfeit to warn other users.  I guess it cuts down on sales when you point out counterfeit merchandise is being sold on Amazon.  😀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...

When I worked for a very large WINDOW company, we used these USB drives to handle 60-70 customers a day. OS reinstalls, Malware/Spyware/Virus scans, Paragon Backups, etc. Out of our 27 drives we had 3 fail in the span of 4 years. Very reliable USB drives.

https://www.kanguru.com/products/kanguru-flashblu30-usb3-flash-drive

https://www.kanguru.com/products/kanguru-ss3

https://www.kanguru.com/products/kanguru-flashtrust-secure-firmware-usb-3-0-flash-drive

Looks like Staples has the cheapest prices for these drives, free shipping to store: https://www.staples.com/kanguru-flashblu30-16gb-superspeed-usb-3-0-flash-drive-with-physical-write-protect-switch/product_IM18TN713

Edited by AlastorX50
Added link to cheaper price
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, trurl said:

Has anyone tried these with Unraid? Do they have a unique GUID? Unfortunately, that crucial bit of information isn't often available on any marketing material for any brand.

I will be building my unraid server sometime this week. I will update once I have all the materials.

when we used these to update our software, it used a program that would only work with these USB devices which I believe used GUID for verification.

Edited by AlastorX50
22 hours ago, AlastorX50 said:

we used these USB drives to handle 60-70 customers a day. OS reinstalls, Malware/Spyware/Virus scans, Paragon Backups, etc. Out of our 27 drives we had 3 fail in the span of 4 years. Very reliable USB drives.

Were they USB 3.0 or USB 2.0?

@SpencerJ

Just got an email back from them.

”Our products have dedicated Vendor ID, Product ID, and Serial number.  We also have a custom option to add a Unique ID at chip level in place of the Product Name for about $3/unit.  And we do custom engraving.”

The USB I ordered from staples should be here the beginning of next week. Will update again.

• Thanks 3