Upgrade Build

cpugeek

I am looking to upgrade my existing server into a whole new server unit. Below is the parts list I am looking at, what I am hoping is feedback on it for any improvements or missing pieces that I have overlooked.

• MSI MPG Z490 GAMING CARBON WIFI LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Intel Core i7 10th Gen - Core i7-10700K
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB x2
  • Noctua NH-U14S
  • LSI Internal SATA/SAS 9211-8i 6Gb/s PCI-Express 2.0 RAID Controller Card, Single--Avago Technologies x2
  • Noctua NF-A8 PWM, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (80mm, Brown) x2
  • Noctua NF-F12 PWM, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (120mm, Brown) x6
  • CORSAIR RM850 CP-9020235-NA 850 W ATX 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply
  • Rosewill RSV-L4500U 4U Server Chassis Rackmount Case | 15 3.5" HDD Bays | E-ATX Compatible | 6 Front 120mm Fans, 2 Rear 80mm Fans | USB 3.0, USB 2.0 | Front Panel Lock and Key | Silver/Black
2 hours ago, cpugeek said:

Noctua NH-U14S

May be a very tight fit?  That CPU cooler is 165mm (6.5 inches) in height.  The chassis has a height of 7" (177mm) externally.  By the time you put a motherboard in the chassis and mount the cooler on top of the CPU, it may be too tall depending on how much of that 7"/177mm is available in the interior of the chassis.  I don't know this for sure and perhaps you already know it will fit fine.  I have no experience with either the CPU cooler or chassis.  It just appears it could be a tight fit.

Edited by Hoopster
2 hours ago, cpugeek said:
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB x2

My advice is go bigger on RAM as slots are limited for future upgrades, go for 2x16 to give you have headroom in case u needed more.

Also check compatibility with the motherboard to make sure the system will be stable.

Edited by PSYCHOPATHiO
2 hours ago, Hoopster said:

May be a very tight fit?  That CPU cooler is 165mm (6.5 inches) in height.  The chassis has a height of 7" (177mm) externally.  By the time you put a motherboard in the chassis and mount the cooler on top of the CPU, it may be too tall depending on how much of that 7"/177mm is available in the interior of the chassis.  I don't know this for sure and perhaps you already know it will fit fine.  I have no experience with either the CPU cooler or chassis.  It just appears it could be a tight fit.

That's exactly why I posted this because I completely overlooked this compatibility part in the build because I so used to building in full towers! Thank you for bringing it up!