Network issues since changing router

Hi all.

I have been running Unraid for a couple of years now without anything like the sort of problem I'm currently having, in two separate house on two separate internet connections. My previous house had a standard cable broadband setup with a modem in bridge mode and a Netgear Orbi running as the router. When I moved house, we went to a gigabit fibre connection that came with a Fritzbox router, with the Netgear Orbi set up as the bridge this time just providing wifi and extra LAN ports. Both of those setups worked pretty much perfect with unraid.

The problem started when I switched to using the Netgear Orbi as the only router, with the PPPoE settings for my internet connection entered into the Netgear settings. This is currently working great for everything except Unraid.

Since I've made that change, I'm having problems with things I'd describe as "background" internet connections - plugin downloads, Docker updates, Plex remote access - all of that just does not function anymore.

Pinging works fine, I can ping web addresses and ip address (both internet and external) without issue, but when I try to do something like install a plugin it just will not work.

2075193346_Screenshot2022-01-30231453.png.bd8baf31294ff8f3183cc0ca61fe2286.png

Capture1.PNG.41fcd6f8a371678ac3eb5ffffadd9145.PNG

When I go to my docker tab they all say "not available" under the version column.

983019056_Screenshot2022-01-30230940.png.c4173b49b40b34bfca1229b646dca815.png

I've tried changing my DNS servers on both my router and in Unraids settings to default, openDNS and google DNS. I've tried resetting my network settings completely by removing the config file. I don't have an active pihole anywhere on my network.

It seems like docker containers in general can't access the internet, for example my speedtest docker shows no connection.

997573758_Screenshot2022-01-30231109.thumb.png.71246800a8f855a87b68aaaff44f1c1d.png

I'm plugged directly into the router, no switches.

I've uploaded my diagnostics for your perusal. 

Help me obi-wan kenobi, you're my only hope.

citadel-diagnostics-20220130-2312.zip

Hi, 

Just a basic check since you have changed router in one place. The new router will probably assign different internal ip's from your old router and if you have really bad luck this can cause ip conflicts with your docker network. 

Do you have any static configured of IP's or routes in your setup? That could also cause network problems if you change ip's internally. 

Just my two cents :)

Good luck!

// Felix

I'll add one thing - I tried with a new USB stick with a trial version of Unread installed - same issue trying to install CA. Switched back to the FritzBox - instantly installed:

518209676_Screenshot2022-01-31at11_49_22.thumb.png.b014a94d165364f7ccbd7b4f8853d31a.png

So whatever the issue is, its specific to the Netgear Orbi or its configuration. I'm sure that means most people will wash their hands of the problem, but if anyone has any idea what I could have configured on the Netgear that would cause this issue, I'd love to hear some ideas.

On 1/31/2022 at 7:17 AM, trendykendy said:

The problem started when I switched to using the Netgear Orbi as the only router, with the PPPoE settings for my internet connection entered into the Netgear settings. This is currently working great for everything except Unraid.

The internet just not work well in Unraid, as you change to PPPoE, pls try setting the MTU from 1500 to 1492 even 1454 in Orbi WAN setting ( not Unraid or Client ).

• 1 year later...
On 1/31/2022 at 11:51 AM, trendykendy said:

I'll add one thing - I tried with a new USB stick with a trial version of Unread installed - same issue trying to install CA. Switched back to the FritzBox - instantly installed:

518209676_Screenshot2022-01-31at11_49_22.thumb.png.b014a94d165364f7ccbd7b4f8853d31a.png

So whatever the issue is, its specific to the Netgear Orbi or its configuration. I'm sure that means most people will wash their hands of the problem, but if anyone has any idea what I could have configured on the Netgear that would cause this issue, I'd love to hear some ideas.

Did you find a solution to this? I had fibre installed the other week using a PPPOE connection. Exact same issues as you yet all other network devices have no issues at all. I'm using OPNsense and tried both physical and virtual machines. It just doesn't like this PPPOE WAN connection!

15 hours ago, Mr_Jay84 said:

Did you find a solution to this? I had fibre installed the other week using a PPPOE connection. Exact same issues as you yet all other network devices have no issues at all. I'm using OPNsense and tried both physical and virtual machines. It just doesn't like this PPPOE WAN connection!

I'm afraid not, I can only assume that some port or connection setting was being blocked by my ISP that was specific to unraid while it was trying to connect through the Orbi, I eventually just gave up and went back to the fritxbox 

8 minutes ago, trendykendy said:

I'm afraid not, I can only assume that some port or connection setting was being blocked by my ISP that was specific to unraid while it was trying to connect through the Orbi, I eventually just gave up and went back to the fritxbox 

Who's your ISP? I'm using Giganet on Cityfibre.

Yeah this is FTTH too.

They did provide an Eero router which I haven't tried Unraid on as yet. There's a few things left to try out. Eeros way to basic for my needs

It's really weird how every other device has no issues whatsoever apart from Unraid. Even if it was an MTU issue, why only unraid?

On 3/13/2023 at 11:18 AM, trendykendy said:

I know, I was banging my head against a wall for days trying to figure it out. If you do, let me know, I still have the Orbis laying around!

Seems like it was down to the dockers being set to use IPVLAN, switching to MACVLAN cured the issues.

I've also just discovered Giganet uses CGNAT rendering it useless for my needs due to unable route traffic to my server. I'll contact them tomorrow to see if they can provide a status otherwise it's cancellation time.