Failure of drives after first preclear?

defected07 posed an interesting question in the Another DOA WD20EARS re: How many drives fail only after the first preclear.

I would love to see a mod set up a poll that asks just that question!

Possible wording:

1. I only preclear a drive once before adding it to my array.

2. I preclear a drive for more then one cycle before adding it to my array, but have never seen one fail after passing the first test.

3. I preclear a drive for more then one cycle before adding it to my array, and have seen a drive pass the first cycle, but fail on a subsequent cycle.

The results would certainly be interesting! I for one only preclear once, but if the poll showed me that people were actually catching drives failing only after an initial pass, I would be convinced to do multiple runs...

This would, indeed, be interesting.  I, likewise, only do a single pass - my impatience gets the better of me, and I'm keen to add the drive to the array!  However, if a significant number of drives do fail on a second, or subsequent, pass, I could learn to curb my impatience!

This would, indeed, be interesting.  I, likewise, only do a single pass - my impatience gets the better of me, and I'm keen to add the drive to the array!  However, if a significant number of drives do fail on a second, or subsequent, pass, I could learn to curb my impatience!

At least one member performs three cycles on each drive, as they have seen drives fail on the second or third cycle.

At least one member performs three cycles on each drive, as they have seen drives fail on the second or third cycle.

I am one such member.  I always do 3 full preclear cycles on my drives.

I am one such member.  I always do 3 full preclear cycles on my drives.

Interesting! Thanks for the feedback! :)

Anyone else see a failure after an initial pass on the first preclear?

I've never experienced it personally, but I still run at least 2 passes of preclear on every drive before trusting it with data.

By the way, there's a 'post new poll' button right next to the 'new thread' button.  Anyone can create a poll, you don't have to be a mod.