Need Help with Passthrough of USB Controller

Shan

Hi All, 

I'm new to unraid and to this community so I apologize in advance if I miss something. I have the following hardware listed below and looking to passthrough USB Controller but it seems like my motherboard only has a single USB Controller which is being used by unraid and I am not sure how I can go about passing it through to one of my VMs. I don't want to buy a PCI USB card if I can get away with using the built-in controller. I have watched all Spaceinvader One videos related to IOMMU and still can't figure this out. I have attached an image of my PCI Devices and IOMMU Groups. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am excited to be part of this community :)

Also, I would like to know if I should use anything from Groups 5, 6 or 14 and if they would be any use to me? 

HARDWARE

-ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI Motherboard

-i9 10900 Non-K CPU

-Gigabyte GeForce FTX 9704GB OC Edition GPU

VFIO-PIC.png

Edited by Shan
Fixed content
13 hours ago, Shan said:

looking to passthrough USB Controller but it seems like my motherboard only has a single USB Controller which is being used by unraid and I am not sure how I can go about passing it through

You can't.

Not sure why you highlighted iommu groups 5, 6 and 14, these have nothing to do with usb controller.

You have 2 options:

1. install a second usb controller

2. passthrough to the vm single usb devices

13 hours ago, Shan said:

how do I go about installing the second usb controller?

I mean installing a new pcie card, with a separate usb controller, so you can pass it through.

13 hours ago, Shan said:

how do I passthrough a single usb device to the VM?

Stop your vm, attach your device to the usb port, go to your vm tab, edit your vm, in the vm gui go to the bottom and you should see your usb device listed, put a check on it and save.

NOTE: it's not for plug and play!If you remove the usb device you will not be able to start again the vm, if you don't remove from the xml the code block pointing to that usb device.

It is in general ok for a usb mouse dongle, a webcam, et., that you plug in and you forget there, not for removable usb pendrives, hd, etc.

Edited by ghost82
7 hours ago, ghost82 said:

I mean installing a new pcie card, with a separate usb controller, so you can pass it through.

Stop your vm, attach your device to the usb port, go to your vm tab, edit your vm, in the vm gui go to the bottom and you should see your usb device listed, put a check on it and save.

NOTE: it's not for plug and play!If you remove the usb device you will not be able to start again the vm, if you don't remove from the xml the code block pointing to that usb device.

It is in general ok for a usb mouse dongle, a webcam, et., that you plug in and you forget there, not for removable usb pendrives, hd, etc.

Thanks, I did try passing my keyboard and mouse but they didn't work. According to Spaceinvader the USB Controller must be passed through in order to get any USB devices to work. I'm just going to purchase a new pcie card at this point. Thanks again for all your help! 

1 hour ago, ghost82 said:

I think you misunderstood, he couldn't have told this...

If you want to attach diagnostics maybe you did some mistake, so we can look at some data.

maybe so but in this "Quick and Easy PCIe Device Passthrough for VMs" video, he did mention about passing through a USB controller in order for attached USB devices to work. I did download the diagnostics, which logs should I provide?