Parity drive with 8836 errors - how do I know which one to replace?

Ystebad
Go to solution Solved by Frank1940,

I have 15 hard drives in my server case (hot swap but I know unraid can’t use that).  I just got a bunch of errors after my parity auto-check ran so I ran a smart test on the parity1 disk (I am running two parity drives) and results are posted below in a screenshot.

I guess the drive is bad and I should replace hopefully they will replace under warranty.  However I’m not sure which drive this is as I didn’t label them at time of installation.  I was used to my synology system where it would flash the LED on a drive if you selected it so you could easily find which drive to pull if needed.

What is the mechanism for this in Unraid?  The only thing I’ve read is to shut the system off, pull out every drive until i find the right serial number.  

Really wish unraid would support hot swap and also drive ID so I could just pull and replace!!

Appreciate any help

DD648777-0583-4CEE-A46D-2347D7ECCE77.thumb.png.e4ab0061d5d44fb4aa2ac5440d55c2f5.png

Edited by Ystebad
Added main screenshot showing error count
  • Solution
8 hours ago, Ystebad said:

The only thing I’ve read is to shut the system off, pull out every drive until i find the right serial number.

This is your answer!   You are going to have to shut the server down to remove the bad anyway.  BUT before you start, print down the 'MAIN' page of the GUI.  Then as you remove each drive, look at its serial number and mark the drive position with the disk #, parity or cache  so you won't have the same problem again.  

3 minutes ago, Ystebad said:

Does putting a check for email on warnings and alerts do this?

Yes.

You can see which SMART attributes Unraid monitors in Settings - Disk Settings. You can also set those for individual disks by clicking on the disk to get to its settings. It is recommended to add attributes 1 and 200 for monitoring on WD disks.

I have all seagate disks and my disk notification settings are on default.  My disks are run in non-raid mode from a miniSAS controller,  in disk settings controller set to "automatic" but I do see other options in there, not sure why I would change or if I should.

What does 1 and 200 add/mean?

just want to make sure I know in advance if I'm having problems going forward.  again thanks!  data security is my #1 priority for this server.

Edited by Ystebad
4 minutes ago, Ystebad said:

What does 1 and 200 add/mean?

Western Digital has two additional SMART parameters (Unique to WD) that indicate serious problems with Western Digital disks.  Adding these parameters ( SMART Attribute Number 1 and SMART Attribute Number 200) as shown in my screen capture checks for them.  IF you don't have WD disks, you don't have to add them. 

4 minutes ago, Ystebad said:

One of my goals is to setup a low power server off site to sync automatically.

Awesome.

So many times people say data security is very important, by which they mean their server is the only place that holds their data and they want to make sure it doesn't die. That's great, and it's everybody's goal to keep their server running without data loss, but the answer is always backup, backup, backup.